Turning to the Dark Side (1st Thermal)

Sprucey

Morning chaps. 

Had the pleasure of heading out with friend last night on the foxes and got chance to use a Thermal spotter...  his was the Pulsar Axion XQ38

As you probably all know, wow!... I want one!! 

I'm slightly baffled by the choices available on the market, and wanted to know peoples thoughts on my choosing a Thermal Spotter for the first time.

I understand budget is a huge factor, but i've always believed you get what you pay for... but is this the case with thermal spotters? Some are £910.00, Some £1800, Some even £2500+ 

Could really do with some advise on which ways best to convert to the Darkside image.png.05140c808936e9b884e7002a43396de7.png

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

Morning chaps. 

Had the pleasure of heading out with friend last night on the foxes and got chance to use a Thermal spotter...  his was the Pulsar Axion XQ38

As you probably all know, wow!... I want one!! 

I'm slightly baffled by the choices available on the market, and wanted to know peoples thoughts on my choosing a Thermal Spotter for the first time.

I understand budget is a huge factor, but i've always believed you get what you pay for... but is this the case with thermal spotters? Some are £910.00, Some £1800, Some even £2500+ 

Could really do with some advise on which ways best to convert to the Darkside image.png.05140c808936e9b884e7002a43396de7.png

Back last year, I purchased a Pulsar Axion Key30 and I've been very impressed with it from the word go. I paid just over £1000, I think they are now around the £1200 mark. Testing it out, I could pick out sheep at a known distance of 700 yards, but I know it will stretch out further than that. The infiRay spotters are supposed to be good too.

Edited by steve_b_wales

As you say you get what you pay for there are many types on the market it depends on what type of shooting you do if for fox then you will need something to stretch out if shooting over a bait point not so critical with all thermal its not about seeing a blob of white you really need to identify if shooting with thermal even more critical you can go on YouTube and compare i myself use an ATN Mars thermal scope to spot with i use a Pulsar XQ50 to shoot with 

Edited by Rim Fire

6 hours ago, colin lad said:

I got a couple of spotters I prefer the Helion2, 

My mate has the Acolade 2, 

His is twice the price of mine and don't see much more, 

Colin

The real advantage of the accolade is no eye strain - black out so you can keep scanning for hours on end 

Having had both there is no comparison - accolades are amazing 

16 hours ago, jall25 said:

The real advantage of the accolade is no eye strain - black out so you can keep scanning for hours on end 

Having had both there is no comparison - accolades are amazing 

They are and saves eye strain, though he has sold it awaiting the new bino version the merger lrf

Edited by colin lad

Buy the best you can afford, I use the Helion XP50 2 and it’s very good. I’ve compared it side by side to the Iray equivalent and the iray doesn’t come close. I’ve also looked through the lower end pulsars and personally wasn’t impressed. Thermal is a game changer and can be expensive but at the end of the day any thermal is better than no thermal