Link or Lorne

billytheghillie

If making myself, Lorne is easier to make .......... but I have only made it twice and the spice mix/level I achieved hasn't been to my liking.  It was OK, but not a triumph!  I admit to not having made links, though I have seen it done and my Kenwood mincer has a sausage filler tube attachment.

If buying (certainly round here in 'the south') there is loads and loads of choice in links - every real butcher has at least one recipe - and in most cases several choices, and the supermarkets al;l have loads of both 'own brand' variations as well as branded (such as Hecks, Black Farmer etc.)  I have not seen Lorne for sale locally.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If making myself, Lorne is easier to make .......... but I have only made it twice and the spice mix/level I achieved hasn't been to my liking.  It was OK, but not a triumph!  I admit to not having made links, though I have seen it done and my Kenwood mincer has a sausage filler tube attachment.

If buying (certainly round here in 'the south') there is loads and loads of choice in links - every real butcher has at least one recipe - and in most cases several choices, and the supermarkets al;l have loads of both 'own brand' variations as well as branded (such as Hecks, Black Farmer etc.)  I have not seen Lorne for sale locally.

Try the following recipe that I use

2x 500g 20%+ fat beef mince

200g rusk

200ml water

1 2\3 level tbsp sea salt

1 level tbsp ground white pepper

1 level TSP ground coriander

1\2 level TSP nutmeg

1\2 level TSP mace

1\2 level TSP hot chilli powder

Mix spices into rusk and mix into mince, dissolve salt into water and then combine into mince mixture, press into lined loaf or pie tin, refrigerate and leave for 8hrs, cut into 12mm slices. Usually gives me 14 slices.

Thank you.  Looking back at the one I used - the main difference was that it used 50% pork and no chilli.  I felt it was under seasoned, more like meat loaf than sausage;

• 450g (1lb) minced beef
  • 450g (1lb) minced pork
  • 250g (1.5 cups) breadcrumbs (not fresh)
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt ( add to taste)
  • 1.5 tsp coriander
  • 0.5 tsp nutmeg
  • 0.5 tsp mace
  • 120ml (0.5 cups) cold water

It came from here https://scottishscran.com/lorne-sausage-recipe/

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Thank you.  Looking back at the one I used - the main difference was that it used 50% pork and no chilli.  I felt it was under seasoned, more like meat loaf than sausage;

• 450g (1lb) minced beef
  • 450g (1lb) minced pork
  • 1.5 tsp coriander
  • 0.5 tsp nutmeg
  • 0.5 tsp mace

could I substitute the beef with venison or hare ? what's your thoughts chaps ?

Just now, derbyduck said:

could I substitute the beef with venison or hare ? what's your thoughts chaps ?

I'm no expert because as above, I wasn't all that pleased with my attempts so far - but my guess would be that venison (and probably hare) might be a bit lean and might be better as part of a mix?

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm no expert because as above, I wasn't all that pleased with my attempts so far - but my guess would be that venison (and probably hare) might be a bit lean and might be better as part of a mix?

All the lean lorne I have ever tried has been pants. Most butchers keep the fat percentage above 25% and often closer to 30% (for the cheaper lorne).

You can make venison lorne, but as it is generally less than naturally 5% fat, for every 500g venison , you need  500g fatty pork belly mince to get (40% fat. 60% pork) to get the % fat above 20% again.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

• 450g (1lb) minced beef
  • 450g (1lb) minced pork
  • 1.5 tsp coriander
  • 0.5 tsp nutmeg
  • 0.5 tsp mace

Someone was trying to make healthy Lorne me thinks....... my recipe is for full fat Steak slice.... the chilli can't be tasted on its own but adds to the warmth of the white pepper.

Edited by Stonepark

38 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Much prefer Lorne. Had our butcher make up goose sausage mixing in beef and it was good but quite dry. Might try the above recipes mixing goose in with the beef.

As above, I suspect not enough fat.

In the "We Hae Meat" brand which acts as a cheaper lorne

Steak Slice 22.3g fat/100g Equivalent of 32% fat Mince - a lot of shrinkage

Angus Steak Slice 21g/100g equivalent to 29% fat mince - some shrinkage

Skinny Steak Slice 3.9g/100g equivalent to 5.5% fat mince - no shrinkage but dry and easily overcooked

In my recipe

Kenneth's Steak Slice (1430g made up) 14g fat/100g, equivalent to 20% fat mince - very little shrinkage and still moist

Edited by Stonepark

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

As above, I suspect not enough fat.

In the "We Hae Meat" brand which acts as a cheaper lorne

Steak Slice 22.3g fat/100g Equivalent of 32% fat Mince - a lot of shrinkage

Angus Steak Slice 21g/100g equivalent to 29% fat mince - some shrinkage

Skinny Steak Slice 3.9g/100g equivalent to 5.5% fat mince - no shrinkage but dry and easily overcooked

In my recipe

Kenneth's Steak Slice (1430g made up) 14g fat/100g, equivalent to 20% fat mince - very little shrinkage and still moist

Yep will have to add fat in some form, possibly belly pork minced.