Home Office launches digital medical marker in England

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

By the sound of it, it largely depends whether or not you and your GP frequent Matlock.

You could ask if this man does have an agenda:

BMA: Digital firearms marker on GP patient records is positive step but not overnight solution | Practice Business

I have no idea what Matlock is, sorry. It is absolutely no business of anyones GP why anyone would want a firearm, and totally outside their remit to ask. 
We are bound to satisfy the criteria set out by the HO and licensing departments, no one else. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have no idea what Matlock is, sorry. It is absolutely no business of anyones GP why anyone would want a firearm, and totally outside their remit to ask. 
We are bound to satisfy the criteria set out by the HO and licensing departments, no one else. 

Dr Peter Holden, BMA lead for firearms licensing policy and a GP in Matlock, Derbyshire, said:

As advocates for their patients and communities, family doctors support the need for scrutiny and proper safeguards when it comes to owning a weapon that can be used with lethal outcomes.

Just now, Rewulf said:

Dr Peter Holden, BMA lead for firearms licensing policy and a GP in Matlock, Derbyshire, said:

As advocates for their patients and communities, family doctors support the need for scrutiny and proper safeguards when it comes to owning a weapon that can be used with lethal outcomes.

Fine, that doesn’t bother me at all. I’m talking about a GP asking a patient why they want a firearm. As I said above, it’s not within their remit and none of their business. 

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fine, that doesn’t bother me at all. I’m talking about a GP asking a patient why they want a firearm. As I said above, it’s not within their remit and none of their business. 

Agreed.
I have a club member whose GP has written on his doctors letter for firearms application , that she does not consider him suitable to possess firearms.
This being due to his (IMHO very low level) aspergers.
He works for Centrica (British gas) as a gas heating/fitting engineer, is fully CRB checked , and drives a LWB transit up and down the country daily.
He has been a club member for 2 years , and I have no issues with his range and firearms safety, yet a doctor believes she has the right of yay or nay on the matter of his hobbies, she doesnt.
I have discussed it with firearms licencing who confirm it is not her decision, though it may be better to use Medcert...Ongoing.

This is the type of idiocy we are up against.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Agreed.
I have a club member whose GP has written on his doctors letter for firearms application , that she does not consider him suitable to possess firearms.
This being due to his (IMHO very low level) aspergers.
He works for Centrica (British gas) as a gas heating/fitting engineer, is fully CRB checked , and drives a LWB transit up and down the country daily.
He has been a club member for 2 years , and I have no issues with his range and firearms safety, yet a doctor believes she has the right of yay or nay on the matter of his hobbies, she doesnt.
I have discussed it with firearms licencing who confirm it is not her decision, though it may be better to use Medcert...Ongoing.

This is the type of idiocy we are up against.

Quite. I wish him good luck. 👍

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Matlock is a very nice town in the Peak District. Unfortunately for the local shooters who may be his patients, the doctor in question is the one who believes that we own 'weapons' so you can bet your bottom dollar that if you are in any way iffy in his opinion as regards the ownership of weapons, you could be in bother. As per Rewulf above. Yep, everyone says that the police have the final say - of course the medics do as it gets them of the hook should it all go pear shaped yet again. In this current climate regarding guns and civilian ownership, it'll be a very brave Chief Constable (CC) who over-rides a medic even though they (CC) do have the last word.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that you haven't commented on what I consider to be the best post on here by RB2.

Edited by wymberley

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Matlock is a very nice town in the lake District. Unfortunately for the local shooters who may be his patients, the doctor in question is the one who believes that we own 'weapons' so you can bet your bottom dollar that if you are in any way iffy in his opinion as regards the ownership of weapons, you could be in bother. As per Rewulf above. Yep, everyone says that the police have the final say - of course the medics do as it gets them of the hook should it all go pear shaped yet again. In this current climate regarding guns and civilian ownership, it'll be a very brave Chief Constable (CC) who over-rides a medic even though they (CC) do have the last word.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that you haven't commented on what I consider to be the best post on here by RB2.

PEAK DISTRICT.

Geography not your strong point?

21 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Matlock is a very nice town in the Peak District. Unfortunately for the local shooters who may be his patients, the doctor in question is the one who believes that we own 'weapons' so you can bet your bottom dollar that if you are in any way iffy in his opinion as regards the ownership of weapons, you could be in bother. As per Rewulf above. Yep, everyone says that the police have the final say - of course the medics do as it gets them of the hook should it all go pear shaped yet again. In this current climate regarding guns and civilian ownership, it'll be a very brave Chief Constable (CC) who over-rides a medic even though they (CC) do have the last word.

It makes no difference to me whether people want to call them weapons or firearms really, the fact still remains that any GP can only give their opinion ( for what it’s worth ) on a persons suitability based on that individuals medical record up to that point, whether they think you’re ‘iffy’ or not. 
I said ‘for what it’s worth’ because just recently, a convicted murderer on our regional news, who was released after serving his sentence, then murdered his girlfriend. His GP had assured the police he was no danger to the public. 
I totally agree with RB2’s post, and think I more or less said the same with my first post on this thread. 
The police want to be absolved of all blame and will pursue scapegoats of any type. 

34 minutes ago, London Best said:
46 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Matlock is a very nice town in the Peak District. Unfortunately for the local shooters who may be his patients, the doctor in question is the one who believes that we own 'weapons' so you can bet your bottom dollar that if you are in any way iffy in his opinion as regards the ownership of weapons, you could be in bother.

The GP in question is our practice lead and as a GP first rate IMHO. All he is doing is playing the police at their own backside covering game and know of no one who has been refused on the practice's say so.  The only complaint I have is what he charges.

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

The GP in question is our practice lead and as a GP first rate IMHO. All he is doing is playing the police at their own backside covering game and know of no one who has been refused on the practice's say so.  The only complaint I have is what he charges.

Truly, that is good news. Any chance when you next report sick that you could explain to him that for the reasons that need no explanation many shooters find the use of the ‘weapon’ word offensive and could he please change his wording. 
Must be annoying, mine doesn’t charge - well yet anyway.

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

Any chance when you next report sick that you could explain to him that for the reasons that need no explanation many shooters find the use of the ‘weapon’ word offensive and could he please change his wording. 

Sadly it is difficult to book with a named GP (the practice has IIRC 5 partners, 6 salaried, and often 2/3 juniors on rotation) but if I strike lucky again I will ask.

11 hours ago, Gas seal said:

I don’t know how showing a dog to the police officer explained what you use firearms for.

Apologies for the brevity, I certainly skipped a few points of my thinking.... I let the police pet the working dog because she is an obvious window into fieldsports and as I was at a roadblock in Liverpool city centre the discussion of firearms felt out of place. I wanted to be friendly but didn’t feel too chatty as I was unwell and late into work, easier to let the friendly dog do the talking. The reason I relayed it was to highlight the flag and that the conversation did not necessitate a detailed discourse. I simply never answered his question, partly because I didn’t know if it was friendly chat or a direct enquiry.

The other police officer also noted I was obviously a dad due to all the car seats in the back, I simply smiled and replied “three boys”, he said his friend had three girls. These identifiers I displayed (virtual and visible) are simply markers and aren’t necessarily a matter of concern but help give professionals some context when performing their duty. Apologies I can’t explain my thoughts more clearly, I’ve only just got home from work and my brain is melting in this heat. 

Edited by WalkedUp

A partial answer to obtaining an impartial report based on your medical record may lie in the use of MedCert or other body to create the report?

This could hopefully and potentially remove some of the GP bias by reporting more fact than personal opinion?