Poults Wanted

Agriv8

The dreaded has happened the supplier of our syndicate rung 2 weeks before delivery and stated price was no longer £4.30 but now £10 pay it or we won’t deliver! 

I know there is more chance of finding one laying a golden egg but it worth an ask !

Any tip off or leads greatly received for 500 or 600 poults 

Thanks Agriv8 

It’s the fact we had agreed on 4.30 and delivery date then the call came in . Words why would I sell to you when I can auction for a £10 ? I believe  

I know fuel costs have gone up but they have not doubled ( yet ) 

In West  Yorkshire- not sure of the dealer as organised by land owner ( it’s a small family run syndicate) 

The big business run shoots will have to put the birds down or go bust I guess. Lack of poults and eggs from France due to bird flu has been the root cause I belive . 

Agriv8

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

It’s the fact we had agreed on 4.30 and delivery date then the call came in . Words why would I sell to you when I can auction for a £10 ? I believe  

In West  Yorkshire- not sure of the dealer as organised by land owner ( it’s a small family run syndicate) 

The big business run shoots will have to put the birds down or go bust I guess. Lack of poults and eggs from France due to bird flu has been the root cause I belive . 

Agriv8

Again why in this country do we rely on foreign imports to satisfy our needs , until something like this happens and bites us on the bum , before something here gets done about it 

13 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

The dreaded has happened the supplier of our syndicate rung 2 weeks before delivery and stated price was no longer £4.30 but now £10 pay it or we won’t deliver! 

I know there is more chance of finding one laying a golden egg but it worth an ask !

Any tip off or leads greatly received for 500 or 600 poults 

Thanks Agriv8 

Sad to hear that dealers/breeders are now exploiting and profiteering from the current crisis. Increases way in excess of additional costs . However, many people and some on here, did the same with pup prices a short time ago. Charging disgustingly high amounts for dogs, without having incurred any significant extra costs. Supply and demand seems to override common decency. Pay up and smile......or don't. Regards

As far as I'm aware, the suppliers are having fun with the annual customers who historically have to be chased for months for non payment, the long standing customers who pay on time don't seem to be effected other than a fair increase. I'm not saying this is the case of the OP but I know they are also reaching 10++ on some auctions.

44 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

As far as I'm aware, the suppliers are having fun with the annual customers who historically have to be chased for months for non payment, the long standing customers who pay on time don't seem to be effected other than a fair increase. I'm not saying this is the case of the OP but I know they are also reaching 10++ on some auctions.

Cash on delivery ever year - never had a problem odd year they may have pushed delivery back a day or  week but always a good relationship!

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

There will be another season after this one where that supplier will be wanting to sell his stock. He would not be on my contact list.

A deal is a deal

We had accepted a hefty increase from last year and had offered a further for fuel and feed. 

The syndicate voted that we would not pay on principle!

we will be looking for a different supplier but little to no chance of getting any birds this year !

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8

9 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Cash on delivery ever year - never had a problem odd year they may have pushed delivery back a day or  week but always a good relationship!

We had accepted a hefty increase from last year and had offered a further for fuel and feed. 

The syndicate voted that we would not pay on principle!

we will be looking for a different supplier but little to no chance of getting any birds this year !

Agriv8

That's bang out of order and think you should name and shame so we know who to avoid for that kind of behaviour. . . . . . ?

7 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Agriv8

Why would I sell to you? Because I have a contract with you, verbal or otherwise. 

I am told the local shoot here (Penhill) apparently buys between 30000 and 50000 birds and can only secure 16000 this year. Shooting will be £45 a bird. At least there will be a few less on the roads. 

Oowee it’s about as close as we are going to get to pheasants this year !

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Why would I sell to you? Because I have a contract with you, verbal or otherwise. 

I am told the local shoot here (Penhill) apparently buys between 30000 and 50000 birds and can only secure 16000 this year. Shooting will be £45 a bird. At least there will be a few less on the roads. 

Just checking if we can release onto lake ? Thanks

Agriv8

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

We were very lucky with John Darbyshire, a true of his word. Kept to £4.50 when he could have doubled it. Then gave us 30 free to cover some loses. We could take an extra gun if anyone is terribly short of shooting for the season.

Walked up thank you we will make contact towards end of season and get chat about getting a commitment for next year !

Agriv8

22 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Just checking if we can release onto lake ? Thanks

i'll assume you meant me, depends how big the lake is, but if your able to get a team of guns around it yeah you can, they're a week old at present, they'd need penning in and treated like normal pheasant chicks till around 40 days old ish which is usually when their proper feathers come through. and normally release them in the same way you would a pheasant,but incorporating the shallows of the pond/lake into the pen. also making sure to feed them periodically further and further away from the pond and push them up and make them fly in the build up to the shooting season in the summer so they're flying fit etc. they will follow set flight routes so if you take note of they're flight path when you fly them pre season you can get guns beneath them. or push them into existing pheasant drives if the lake is close by. 

1 hour ago, Lewis Murray said:

i'll assume you meant me, depends how big the lake is, but if your able to get a team of guns around it yeah you can, they're a week old at present, they'd need penning in and treated like normal pheasant chicks till around 40 days old ish which is usually when their proper feathers come through. and normally release them in the same way you would a pheasant,but incorporating the shallows of the pond/lake into the pen. also making sure to feed them periodically further and further away from the pond and push them up and make them fly in the build up to the shooting season in the summer so they're flying fit etc. they will follow set flight routes so if you take note of they're flight path when you fly them pre season you can get guns beneath them. or push them into existing pheasant drives if the lake is close by. 

Are they off heat ?

3 minutes ago, Lewis Murray said:

we keep them on heat at nights unless its going to be especially cold during the day, they can be usually be comfortably taken off heat completely in 3-5 weeks from today (when the ducks reach 4-6 weeks old). 

That's what i thought, it may be worth highlighting that to people who may not have reared them before. Just in case anyone literally takes them to water and off you go...

3 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

That's what i thought, it may be worth highlighting that to people who may not have reared them before. Just in case anyone literally takes them to water and off you go...

"they're a week old at present, they'd need penning in and treated like normal pheasant chicks till around 40 days old ish which is usually when their proper feathers come through" thought I did but I guess you're right. though for some reason everyone seems to know how to rear and release pheasants but ducks seems a total mystery to most people yet tonnes of shoots put them down 😂