Scratch remover

steve_b_wales

23 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Is T Cut still as good as it used to be? I've got some fine scratches on my car and would like to get them removed if possible. In the past I've always used T Cut, but is it still good and/or is there anything better out there. I don't need to restore the colour of the paint.

i have found that T cut dosnt cut as well as it used to....reason is you are no longer tee cutting the top surface of the paint.....you are now tee cutting the laquer top coat ..which is very hard.....tee cut is still tee cut....you just have to work alot harder...and proberly use an electric tee cut machine.....

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I tried it on one of the small scratches and wasn't that impressed. I could still see the scratch. Perhaps I need to put a bit more elbow grease into it. I'll try again soon.

A good rule of thumb (nail) is if you can feel the scratch with your nail, it isnt coming out with abrasive polish.
Your on the right track with the G3 , there is a coarser G6 which does need to used with a polisher, with either , dont get it too hot, or the paint will 'burn'

You can try some wet and dry 1500-2000g and hand polish back, but you need to be careful especially on edges, but like I say if you rul your nail end over it and it digs in, youve got a battle on.

You can try putting some paint into the scratch with a tiny brush, results depend on the colour, lighter metallics or pearls being the worst to get right.
Once dry , nib it with the mentioned grit papers, and polish back up, the less you put in , the less you have to nib and risk polishing through.

As mentioned, a good high gloss wax can take your eye off it.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

A good rule of thumb (nail) is if you can feel the scratch with your nail, it isnt coming out with abrasive polish.
Your on the right track with the G3 , there is a coarser G6 which does need to used with a polisher, with either , dont get it too hot, or the paint will 'burn'

You can try some wet and dry 1500-2000g and hand polish back, but you need to be careful especially on edges, but like I say if you rul your nail end over it and it digs in, youve got a battle on.

You can try putting some paint into the scratch with a tiny brush, results depend on the colour, lighter metallics or pearls being the worst to get right.
Once dry , nib it with the mentioned grit papers, and polish back up, the less you put in , the less you have to nib and risk polishing through.

As mentioned, a good high gloss wax can take your eye off it.

On the scratches, I can't feel them with my nail. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks.

Steve  what you say regarding feeling it with your nail its beyond what a scratch is, you cant remove that with any magic potion, it needs filling and a respray. Dont waste your time and money you will only end up removing the hard lacquered coating that protects the paint work.  

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

Steve  what you say regarding feeling it with your nail its beyond what a scratch is, you cant remove that with any magic potion, it needs filling and a respray. Dont waste your time and money you will only end up removing the hard lacquered coating that protects the paint work.  

What I read was is that if you can run a fingernail over the scratch and can't feel the scratch, which is the case with me, then the G3 'should' work. But i take onboard what you are saying about removing the lacquered coating - Thanks.

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

if you can run a fingernail over the scratch and can't feel the scratch, which is the case with me, then the G3 'should' work

Correct, if you can feel a scratch, its likely 50 -100 microns deep, you have possibly 100 microns of lacquer , you wont remove the scratch without taking enough lacquer off to expose the basecoat, and that will look worse than the scratch.

10 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

What I read was is that if you can run a fingernail over the scratch and can't feel the scratch, which is the case with me, then the G3 'should' work. But i take onboard what you are saying about removing the lacquered coating - Thanks.

Note to self, "wear glasses when reading" 

"can't feel"

"can feel"

Close  :rolleyes: