Extreme Heat Warning ?

marsh man

How worried are you with this new record Red alert heat warning ? , looking at the map where the heat is going to be strongest we are just on the outside , although it is still going to be hot in Norfolk and for the people around our way who rely on holiday makers will welcome the hot weather with open arms , going out earlier in the mornings and again later in the afternoons should be fine for us oldies , but for the majority of the country who have still got to go to work then it could be very uncomfortable to say the least , enjoy it, but at the same time be sensible about what you are doing at the hottest time of the day ...:drinks:   MM

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of places experience temps like that on a regular basis and seem to manage without woke red alert health warnings.

The last time I was in Vegas it was 43deg. the whole time and no one seemed to be having problems.

edit: and I don’t like the heat.

Edited by London Best

I'm still waiting for a summer up here in the north west, and I'll bet its no warmer than 1976. When I was a kid the road tar would melt and you could fry eggs on the big flat pebbles at the beach.

They usually take the high temperatures from city centres at are unnaturally high. The true temperature will be found in rural areas.

Rant over. Dave

Its a 2 day heatwave with this government  spewing advice to this namby pamby facaache generation who cant ceem to wipe their backside without someone telling them how......

And guess what thunder predicted for Wednesday.......who'd ave thought that!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Plenty of places experience temps like that on a regular basis and seem to manage without woke red alert health warnings.

Quite! We have become a nation of lightweights, scared of everything and needing guidance to cope with anything out of the ordinary. The Met office should stick to weather forecasting and stop telling us things like we need to keep cool in hot weather and be careful when it's icy in case we slip and fall.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Don't think a one off heat wave is a problem for the UK, its long dry periods, don't think there’s been much rain since March? (England) Just waiting for the hosepipe ban.

Hello, Thames Water will be the first, it's loosing 10s of 1000s of gallons every week with leaky pipes, 

We notice the change in temperature when coming in from outside. Our porch which is of modern construction, cavity wall etc. is still always fairly warm and no difference is felt. However, coming into the house which is solid wall construction built around 1890 it`s as cool as anything and most pleasant. It is currently around 20C or 64F in old money. Also, it holds it heat well in winter.

The house does not have a damp course but plenty of ventilation below the wooden floors and no sign of damp whatsoever and suffers no condensation problems, unlike our previous modern cavity wall insulated bungalow which was always hot in summer and suffered from much condensation. It does make you wonder about modern day construction.

OB

Today was nice but nothing out the ordinary and I have been shooting in warmer days than we had today , the wind was South / Easterly and although it was coming up from the hot countries it was still coming in from the sea direction so for those who were on the beach or near the sea it would have been lovely.

Mind you, it isn't due to reach it peak till Tuesday so we will see if we can fry a egg outside , we used to try it when we were teenage boys and all we ended up was a White slimy mess , if any of you wise men can fry a egg with the predicted record temp then please let us know , all the best   MM

Most of you where too young or not born back in 75/76 when we had a similar heat wave and the moors in North Wales burnt to a crisp.  Also I remember around '52 when similar again and I was stupid enough to get seriously sunburnt and my grandmother poured lashing if calamile lotion over my back and I lay on the stone floor in our kitchen to ease the itching.  Our present home was bult around jaobean times and keep doors and windows shut and it is like a fridge.    Basically been there before and still here grumpy as ever.

11 hours ago, London Best said:

The last time I was in Vegas it was 43deg. the whole time and no one seemed to be having problems.

edit: and I don’t like the heat.

Do they not have air con everywhere and are well used to hot weather.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Most of you where too young or not born back in 75/76 when we had a similar heat wave and the moors in North Wales burnt to a crisp.  Also I remember around '52 when similar again and I was stupid enough to get seriously sunburnt and my grandmother poured lashing if calamile lotion over my back and I lay on the stone floor in our kitchen to ease the itching.  Our present home was bult around jaobean times and keep doors and windows shut and it is like a fridge.    Basically been there before and still here grumpy as ever.

I was in Llanwrst in 1976, aged 15, doing my D of E Gold award, and it hadn’t rained for seven weeks at that point. One of my mates was taken off the hills with salt deficiency. 
I recall taking a horse in the river, fully clothed, in my lunch hour and being bone dry when I went back to work. Yeah, it was warm.