marsh man

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, moondoggy said:

A horse fully clothed, and in those temperatures? That’s cruel. 😁

🙂👍
Wet and drizzly here ( Cumbria ) at the moment. 
I read a comment on line that we shouldn’t go to work next week in the forecast heat as ‘it isn’t worth risking your life for’ ! 

Edited by Scully

with all the media stuff regards the "heatwave",....some older people i know of are starting to panic...which is going to put them at a disadvantage when the temp' does go up tomorrow and Tuesday

we seem to forget...that the 76/77 summer was hot ...but it was day after day...it was relentless

We have a high of 17c forecast over the next few days, I have filled my hat with ice and will leave the fridge door open, I was working on a farm on the Lleyn peninsula all summer in 76, we cut hay on every bit of ground even those that were previously too wet to mow. I caught my personal best Bass from the shore 81/2 lb and 91/2 lb,  I also remember that autumn agricultural contracting in N Essex, spuds were tiny and fetching £5 a bag at the farm gate. mind you the then minister for drought was so effective that it p***** down for months afterward

13 minutes ago, islandgun said:

We have a high of 17c forecast over the next few days, I have filled my hat with ice and will leave the fridge door open, I was working on a farm on the Lleyn peninsula all summer in 76, we cut hay on every bit of ground even those that were previously too wet to mow. I caught my personal best Bass from the shore 81/2 lb and 91/2 lb,  I also remember that autumn agricultural contracting in N Essex, spuds were tiny and fetching £5 a bag at the farm gate. mind you the then minister for drought was so effective that it p***** down for months afterward

Hello, nice one I g , who was the minister ?

54 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Yep, remember the following winter with tractors bogged for weeks in fields.

We have just become a bunch of whimps.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I can remember the hot and dry Summer of 76 very well, we were well into babbing for Ells at the time and our worm supply had ran out what we had kept in the cast iron bath from turning the garden over in the Spring , so we had to wait for a wet night and get them off the pubs bowling green ,or from the local park , one night we were in the park with our torch and a bucket when a policeman came in and asked us what we doing , we told him the truth that we were getting some large worms to go fishing and showed him the ones we already had in the bucket , he said he had never seen that before and didn't know if we were breaking any crime but said when you have got enough we better left in case we got reported and another officer might not be so lenient .:lol:

Another night we were having a pint in the White Swan near the North river when someone came in and said , would you believe it had just started to rain , we all left the bar in a hurry to go outside and have a look and sure enough it was the first drop of rain we have had for weeks , we never even noticed we were getting wet while enjoying a beer

The main river got that hot the Ells were swimming on the surface with Red patches on them , we called it Red Rot but we never knew the proper name.

It was also one of the best years for English Partridges with many places having wild Partridge shoots , something that won't happen in this currant hot spell . Happy days .

I remember 76 - still have the scars to prove it - with an aunt who was a nurse putting baby lotion on me and my cousin to ease the sun burn we had (mine was my back, my cousin was his legs) - trouble is we were still out in the sun :shout: - ended up in hospital with my back splitting like I don't know what

The next year- I seem to remember that it was absolutely terrible weather with loads killed on the FastNet I think it was - we abandoned the holiday that year (Bude in one of the old farms with massive walls)

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

40C837F5-5D96-4274-87A2-BA29DC29BC44.jpeg.eb0124de6787dab44c4c0b388a7d816c.jpeg

Last week, with 28 degrees our factory  roof space was 43.
This week we’re replacing ceiling panels … we’ll be taking the heat very seriously.

I think this is where people have to be careful, the heat is manageable if you are sensible, keep hydrated and take regular breaks. Be safe bud when doing that work.   

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I can remember the hot and dry Summer of 76 very well, we were well into babbing for Ells at the time and our worm supply had ran out what we had kept in the cast iron bath from turning the garden over in the Spring , so we had to wait for a wet night and get them off the pubs bowling green ,or from the local park , one night we were in the park with our torch and a bucket when a policeman came in and asked us what we doing , we told him the truth that we were getting some large worms to go fishing and showed him the ones we already had in the bucket , he said he had never seen that before and didn't know if we were breaking any crime but said when you have got enough we better left in case we got reported and another officer might not be so lenient .:lol:

Another night we were having a pint in the White Swan near the North river when someone came in and said , would you believe it had just started to rain , we all left the bar in a hurry to go outside and have a look and sure enough it was the first drop of rain we have had for weeks , we never even noticed we were getting wet while enjoying a beer

The main river got that hot the Ells were swimming on the surface with Red patches on them , we called it Red Rot but we never knew the proper name.

It was also one of the best years for English Partridges with many places having wild Partridge shoots , something that won't happen in this currant hot spell . Happy days .

Perhaps the red rot was an algae bloom, probably have a health warning now, surprised we lived through it 😄, wish i could remember that first rain would have smelled beautiful, 

I remember being on holiday in weston super mare in 1976 . My back was burned to hell( nobody had heard of skin cancer in 1976, )  and my nan was rubbing vaseline over my back and shoulders ( probably cooking me even more).

The thing that I most remember about that year , is the plague of ladybirds . The roads , pavements,  and cars , were blanketed with them , and you crunched as you walked along the street . I remember standing on the beach at weston , and all that you could see for miles , was ladybirds.