Be aware 410 express

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, holloway said:

Well if the right shot and powder is in each shell… ,logic says the crimp is too tight ,deep ?

It’s a rto 

55 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

More and more it's looking like the powder load is too much and the powder burning speed is too slow.

Something has definitely gone wrong at manufacturers process.

E8ACCA53-7EA0-426C-8813-FB947E19CBA5.jpeg

BB5619E3-2D3F-4FB7-B4B6-5083EDCABA4C.jpeg

CB0C9676-C7BB-4F9D-B69D-8179FE0DE412.jpeg

C7A073EB-8718-46EA-9EBF-136BD8A773EA.jpeg

F2526522-0EE6-4357-9C6B-F34BD0248E54.jpeg

6 minutes ago, holloway said:

Roll crimp can give problems but not so likely .Have you weighed in grains ?

Yes sorry should have said 

appologie for weight of shot in grains 

Just now, Old farrier said:

Yes sorry should have said 

appologie for weight of shot in grains 

I set the powder alight and it wasn’t overly fast burning 

6 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Lyalvale were using a double base flake powder in  their 410 2.5 and 3 inch cartridges.

It looks like they have now changed to a 'ball' powder' doesn't look like SP3 (but difficult to tell as slightly out of focus), I do wonder what it is.....

I can’t really post you a sample or I’d be happy to let you have a few to dissect 

many thanks for your thoughts and input 

Looking at your weight for shot at l39.2 grains and converted 14 grams to grains unless I have got it badly wrong your shot weight should be somewhere around the 216 grain mark so ….and someone please check yourself the shot weight is much too light .

This would probably mean that the charge isn’t holding the powder back sufficiently to work as normal ,or am I talking rubbish as usual.?

3 minutes ago, holloway said:

Looking at your weight for shot at l39.2 grains and converted 14 grams to grains unless I have got it badly wrong your shot weight should be somewhere around the 216 grain mark so ….and someone please check yourself the shot weight is much too light .

This would probably mean that the charge isn’t holding the powder back sufficiently to work as normal ,or am I talking rubbish as usual.?

I’ll take another to bits and try to get it a bit clearer for the picture 

14 minutes ago, aberisle said:

I also had some 410 lyalvale cartridges and this happened to them, i  wont be buying them again .

LYALEVALE.jfif 97.11 kB · 2 downloads

Sorry I’m struggling to see your download 

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Useless after you've pilled the head off🤣

Well our friend is a metal worker but slightly different. He could probably make a few for the Ukrainians and their 155mm howitzers.

OF's photo's show the whole extractor whereas we don't know what's on the other end of Holloway's example. I know what they are and have seen them but that's me lot. What would be the purpose of the 'other end' - the 90 degree pointy bit?

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

OF's photo's show the whole extractor whereas we don't know what's on the other end of Holloway's example. I know what they are and have seen them but that's me lot. What would be the purpose of the 'other end' - the 90 degree pointy bit?

To pull the case out after the heads come off 

although it’s not something that I want to use 

DSC_0582.JPG

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Many thanks 

very similar  sort of glad it’s not just me 🤔

If you could recommend a way to take a more helpful picture of the components I’m happy to try 

I don't think it is you, I just uploaded a clean in focus picture of SP3 from my phone.  It appears to be the image compression undertaken by the forum when the picture is uploaded is messing with the fine detail/focus.

Having done a bt more digging, I think we are dealing with Lovex DO37.2 ... Czech Powder, equivalent of SP3. Also used for heavy magnum pistol cartridges (as is SP3) and suitable for 410 as noted by the manufacturer. has that off tan looking colouring as per the OP's picture.

LovexD037-02.jpg

Edited by Stonepark