Be aware 410 express

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Windswept said:

I've never had case mouths like that apart from the time I shot some 3" carts in a 2.5" gun. Are the cartridges too long at all?

The only time I have seen cases like that was a friend’s 16 bore when he fired supposedly safe cartridges labelled 67mm in his 2 1/2 inch 65mm chamber. The gun was fine with genuine 65mm cases.

6 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Is that 2 3/4" or slightly over? My Lyalvale 3" 410 rto carts are bang on 70mm.

70mm 

hope you don’t have any trouble with yours 

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

The only time I have seen cases like that was a friend’s 16 bore when he fired supposedly safe cartridges labelled 67mm in his 2 1/2 inch 65mm chamber. The gun was fine with genuine 65mm cases.

I’ve seen it a few years ago and it was caused by the lack of wax on the wad’s 

it’s definitely a 3 inch chamber gun and I have 500 fiochie cases for reloding that I fired through it without any issues other than that the were plastic wad not acceptable for my game shooting 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

70mm 

hope you don’t have any trouble with yours 

Mine are a few years old and subsonic, never had a problem or anything more than a slightly distorted mouth in any of my 410s (in the right chamber). I certainly wouldn't be happy shooting those and appreciate you raising the issue. Hope you get it sorted.

Just had a message from my supplier 

he was shooting today and heard the rumbling from the people I was holding up trying to get the cases out 😡

return them to him for a full refund so my supplier is doing the right thing and to be fair to him it’s not his fault 

hopefully he’ll get express to sort out the issue 

I would think anyone who has been having a issue should take them back to the supplier there’s obviously a problem with this batch 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Just had a message from my supplier 

he was shooting today and heard the rumbling from the people I was holding up trying to get the cases out 😡

return them to him for a full refund so my supplier is doing the right thing and to be fair to him it’s not his fault 

hopefully he’ll get express to sort out the issue 

I would think anyone who has been having a issue should take them back to the supplier there’s obviously a problem with this batch 

Perfect .

11 hours ago, Windswept said:

Is that 2 3/4" or slightly over? My Lyalvale 3" 410 rto carts are bang on 70mm.

case lengths are measured when empty so a 3” is 76mm as would be the guns chamber length, it matters not what the length of the loaded cartridge is, unless i am miss understanding  you.

I have experienced case mouth damage especially in .410 with fibre wads but it was not an issue on their performance.

Good result from the supplier.

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

case lengths are measured when empty so a 3” is 76mm as would be the guns chamber length, it matters not what the length of the loaded cartridge is, unless i am miss understanding  you.

I was just going on the photo provided of the unfired case, it appeared to be a bit longer than what I have.

However, I note the Lyalvale 3" .410s are 73mm cases so I doubt length is an issue.

I also note Lyalvale are still listed double base flake powder is used in their .410s which doesn't seem to match the photos.

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But surely that is not the reason for the heads parting company upon firing?

No, the opposite, by not having an OPC seal above the powder, even with the additional volume of the space within the shot column area and with just a loose fitting fibre wad in place, the powder is not constrained as it should be, yet the cartridges are still showing over pressure!

29 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

No, the opposite, by not having an OPC seal above the powder, even with the additional volume of the space within the shot column area and with just a loose fitting fibre wad in place, the powder is not constrained as it should be, yet the cartridges are still showing over pressure!

That explains it very well.

Now for Lyalvale Express to step up to the plate.

36 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Thanks for the explanation 👍

it is a confidence thing with cartridges not only one that you like but one that suits your gun and the targets you are shooting at sadly this product fell short of my expectations for a premium game cartridge 

6 hours ago, Stonepark said:

I don’t know hence the question; is there any possibility that the damaged cases are as a result of escaping hot gas/burning powder and not just over pressure. I ask because, A, as said I don’t know and, B, if the answer is possibly/ probably/yes you are also now in the additional problem area of balling shot.

Edited by wymberley

OF - might I suggest that you retain some of the worst fired cartridge cases and also a decent number of unfired ones from the same lot/box, although returning the bulk of them to dealer.

If you find, at a later date, evidence of barrel damage eg pressure bulge in front of chamber/cone area it may be prudent to have retained in your possession some of the cartridges which were causing the problem. Might even be no bad thing to have your guns checked by a competent gunsmith to allay any fears. Better sooner than later?