Be aware 410 express

22 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Agree wholeheartedly. Couldn't used quotation marks as what was 'quoted' which was "probably shouldn't happen" and which was not what I wrote. Anything can probably happen and will, usually timed to give the worst possible effect -Murphy and Sod have it.

Have you ever seen it happen or had it happen to a cartridge that you have fired ? 

open to anyone 

anyone seen this happen to a cartridge ( not a home loaded one) 

genuinely interested 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Have you ever seen it happen or had it happen to a cartridge that you have fired ? 

open to anyone 

anyone seen this happen to a cartridge ( not a home loaded one) 

genuinely interested 

Yes, funnily enough that's why I posted. :whistling: In my case the damage looked more like your Friday version and also those from Aberisle and is documented on here. When I was reasonably sure of what the problem could be I fired a few more at the pattern plate and also, then, more from different barrels which resulted in me being even more sure of what the problem actually was - can never be 100% certain

For one good possible reason I don't think that your problem is quite the same and excessive pressure has to be the prime suspect. BUT. In my experience there was an 'also ran' which featured in my case.

I would imagine that we would all like to know the answer as and when you (hopefully) get it.

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yes, funnily enough that's why I posted.  In my case the damage looked more like your Friday version and also those from Aberisle and is documented on here. When I was reasonably sure of what the problem could be I fired a few more at the pattern plate and also, then, more from different barrels which resulted in me being even more sure of what the problem actually was - can never be 100% certain

For one good possible reason I don't think that your problem is quite the same and excessive pressure has to be the prime suspect. BUT. In my experience there was an 'also ran' which featured in my case.

I would imagine that we would all like to know the answer as and when you (hopefully) get it.

Those from aberisle show case mouth damage 

Was  your damage the same?

did the case head’s come off ?

1 minute ago, Donkey said:

When I had a 410 armsan I had quite a few brass heads pulled off there was not one particular manufactured shell as I used quite a few

there was also the primers that were blown out both were put down to a problem gun as opposed to shells

Very interesting thank you for your reply 👍

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Still waiting for someone from express to get back to me regarding the issue 

ostrich syndrome I believe is the description 

Next step in the process? 

Write to Fiocchi….?

They may instruct their new acquisition (Express) to sort. 

Fiocchi could (should) be concerned that Express have ‘taken their foot off the gas’ re quality control. Reputational integrity etc. 

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

When I contacted them several years ago with a question they replied very promptly via email. Have you tried phoning them?

You may also get a better reply if you contact them via Facebook. I don't use it but increasingly companies only respond to comments via Facebook or Twitter.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Given the potential for things to go tragically wrong , I'd have been on to hse . They may have been a big quicker off the mark to reply to them.

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

When I contacted them several years ago with a question they replied very promptly via email. Have you tried phoning them?

You may also get a better reply if you contact them via Facebook. I don't use it but increasingly companies only respond to comments via Facebook or Twitter.

agree with social media, but I'd suggest anything said should be in an auditable written fashion due to the nature.

410s seem to burn cases and I have had a lot similar but always red cases. Very rarely with green Fiocchi, maybe a slight flairing at the case mouth.   I had a slab of RC to try a couple of years ago and they burned the ends as well, red cases.

Could it be the plastic they are using ?      I reload almost all of my shells and only use Fiocchi green cases. and never had a problem.  I shoot exclusively 410 so get through a few in a season.

In maybe seven years exclusively shooting 410 I have never had a head separation.

On 24/07/2022 at 08:35, Old farrier said:

Found a picture of the old fashioned cartridge extractor 

anyone got a 4.10 one

8C8DB299-7AF3-423C-AA87-7FCA0BD4B2EC.png

years ago when i was young someone gave me a clasp knife with funny looking things on both ends ...it wasnt until yers later i found out what they were ...a 12 bore extrctor one end and a 410 extractor the other end

https://sportantiques.co.uk/accessories/knives/hunting-shooting-folding-knife

Edited by ditchman

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

years ago when i was young someone gave me a clasp knife with funny looking things on both ends ...it wasnt until yers later i found out what they were ...a 12 bore extrctor one end and a 410 extractor the other end

https://sportantiques.co.uk/accessories/knives/hunting-shooting-folding-knife

Funny enough 

I found a extraction tool 

AB49895F-73C4-46B7-A7C5-A174C9E9AEBE.jpeg