Claymate Now @ Blackpool gun club

jayward

Me and the other 1/2 are both new to shooting and they have just put claymate in at our local, Now I have read the threads on in it and tbh I do think its penny pinching tbh but I still I reserve judgment/condemnation just yet We do only take as many shells as we are going to shoot normally just a 100 on wed and 150 on a weekend

so after we have used the shells that’s it job done now I do like to see a pair or even a single before I shoot as there’s many variables trap position ,wind , me lol so tbh its quite necessary at the moment having said that I could just follow some one round the ground preff a party of 4-8 lol so I we get our time @ the stand but that’s not really practical and that is tight :blink: and I go to all the easy stands first to make me feel good

:good: now we went tonight and shot 75 shells them the light began to fail and them black beggars are hard to see in the dark :blink:

our counter read 90 but ya get 10% at the ground and it spat a few pairs when I wanted just the one so they charged for 75 which I think if fair ishh , now tbh I prob would have looked @ a few more birds maybe like 10 out off a 100 £2.20 cost to me or say 50-60p cost to the ground so my normal £22 0r £33 spend will now be £24-25 and £35-36 respectively

my opinion is claymate not about the ground saving money by keeping the people they claim to shoot 200 and pay for 100 OUT its actually about making more money from the honest shooters .

I pay for what I shoot I have never taken a few extra carts and would not Now (how can I put this without a silly debate about paying to see a pair) before the ground had no problem and in fact made an allowance for us a we are new which I thought was nice lol anyway most people would see a pair in fact you would call it **Common Practice at the ground ** BUT now you get 10% so ya can see a pair and pay for your no birds etc or the other way round . We had 4-5 out of 75 nobirds so not actually 10% but either way its going to cost more now for the same amount of clays I would normally shoot /see ,

I will see how it pans out for us there as tbh I don’t like the idea of having to explain myself every time I return the counter it makes you feel like your trying to blag a few free clays

I may just offer a body and bag search before I enter the ground to show how many shells I have taken to the ground lol there’s not much joy in just watching them fly is there !!!! no tbh honest im just not sure it’s a good thing or not but I do take on board the owners words “im not steeling anything am I “ meaning hes providing a clay you pay / not directed @ me but just in general !!

And agree its wrong to take the **** and pay for less than you shoot but common ground regarding what’s on the counter and what you shoot should be implemented if im forced to pay for what ive not shot say what used to be common practice at the ground i.e. a free pair and nobirds go free... I may have to find new ground time will tell lots are talking about finding new grounds based on the fact you should see a pair free and not pay for no birds they are experienced shooters and regulars the above are just my thoughts and im not claiming to be right or wrong as I said im am new to this game.. what do you think ?

I will continue to go to Blackpool for another 4 times. I then qualify for a free 100 bird shoot. After that, they will not see me again. I have no time for Claymate. I do not steal their clays, but someone has to pay for the machine. They have just put up their prices - to pay for the machinery?:blink:?:blink:?:good:??? I refuse to pay more because someone else is cheating. They should invest a little more in putting on decent clays - some recently have been a silly test of eyesight - not shooting ability. If they are not careful, they will lose trade. They have lost mine.

I will continue to go to Blackpool for another 4 times. I then qualify for a free 100 bird shoot. After that, they will not see me again. I have no time for Claymate. I do not steal their clays, but someone has to pay for the machine. They have just put up their prices - to pay for the machinery?:blink:?:good:?:good:??? I refuse to pay more because someone else is cheating. They should invest a little more in putting on decent clays - some recently have been a silly test of eyesight - not shooting ability. If they are not careful, they will lose trade. They have lost mine.

:blink: i have just joined a shooting ground near to me called .......e j churchills. what you are on about dont happen there. if two members go for a shoot one afternoon, they book in at the office, go shoot what they want, say 100 birds each. when its all over they go back to reception and pay for what they have shot at.. they can see as many birds as they want to or need to. its called trust, not penny pinching,.

Me and the other 1/2 are both new to shooting and they have just put claymate in at our local, Now I have read the threads on in it and tbh I do think its penny pinching tbh but I still I reserve judgment/condemnation just yet We do only take as many shells as we are going to shoot normally just a 100 on wed and 150 on a weekend

so after we have used the shells that’s it job done now I do like to see a pair or even a single before I shoot as there’s many variables trap position ,wind , me lol so tbh its quite necessary at the moment having said that I could just follow some one round the ground preff a party of 4-8 lol so I we get our time @ the stand but that’s not really practical and that is tight :blink: and I go to all the easy stands first to make me feel good

:good: now we went tonight and shot 75 shells them the light began to fail and them black beggars are hard to see in the dark :blink:

our counter read 90 but ya get 10% at the ground and it spat a few pairs when I wanted just the one so they charged for 75 which I think if fair ishh , now tbh I prob would have looked @ a few more birds maybe like 10 out off a 100 £2.20 cost to me or say 50-60p cost to the ground so my normal £22 0r £33 spend will now be £24-25 and £35-36 respectively

my opinion is claymate not about the ground saving money by keeping the people they claim to shoot 200 and pay for 100 OUT its actually about making more money from the honest shooters .

I pay for what I shoot I have never taken a few extra carts and would not Now (how can I put this without a silly debate about paying to see a pair) before the ground had no problem and in fact made an allowance for us a we are new which I thought was nice lol anyway most people would see a pair in fact you would call it **Common Practice at the ground ** BUT now you get 10% so ya can see a pair and pay for your no birds etc or the other way round . We had 4-5 out of 75 nobirds so not actually 10% but either way its going to cost more now for the same amount of clays I would normally shoot /see ,

I will see how it pans out for us there as tbh I don’t like the idea of having to explain myself every time I return the counter it makes you feel like your trying to blag a few free clays

I may just offer a body and bag search before I enter the ground to show how many shells I have taken to the ground lol there’s not much joy in just watching them fly is there !!!! no tbh honest im just not sure it’s a good thing or not but I do take on board the owners words “im not steeling anything am I “ meaning hes providing a clay you pay / not directed @ me but just in general !!

And agree its wrong to take the **** and pay for less than you shoot but common ground regarding what’s on the counter and what you shoot should be implemented if im forced to pay for what ive not shot say what used to be common practice at the ground i.e. a free pair and nobirds go free... I may have to find new ground time will tell lots are talking about finding new grounds based on the fact you should see a pair free and not pay for no birds they are experienced shooters and regulars the above are just my thoughts and im not claiming to be right or wrong as I said im am new to this game.. what do you think ?

Thats why crime is on the rise :good:

:rolleyes:??? ???

(awaits retort)

Jayward, its a tough one to answer really, your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont, as far as running a clay club, having seen a few go the way of the dodo here i 'll try to explain, here's my take be it right or wrong, quite a few shooters take full advantage of anything they can get free, this happens in all walks of life, but we are talking shooting here right, this happens to draw on any profits made by the club that can in turn be applied to newer equipment, and of cource continued use of venue by us the user, as an owner i would like to trust all shooters at my club, reality is i can't, my accountant wants to know the in's and out's of a cat's *** as far as my purchasing of targets to projected return on them go, buisness right, from many club owner's i hear of the last tourny where 300 shooters registered 30 stations shot 10 birds per station, 60 squads of 5 seeing a minimum of 1,800 targets to have a look, thats not including the huge amount of " i didnt see them do it again" quota, realisticaly double it 3,600 birds not payed for to start with, include another bundle of broken and no bird calls, ok triple it 5,400 non payed,,,,,,,, jesus who'd be an owner anyway, i feel for all of em, im also glad they are out there so i can indulge myself in a recreation i enjoy, and as you put it "be it right or wrong" these are my feelings, now on the other hand if i do feel ripped off, i will certainly let the owner/s know straight away, and as i have done in the past, talk with your feet, if the owners want you back they will let you know, as to myself, the amount of shooting i do and people i introduce, speaks for itself, i get treated well by the clubs near me, and it sounds like they arent as tight as the one's you frequent.

p.s. you could always start one up yourself :good:

Martin the happy little shooter :blink: :blink:

I don't have a problem with Claymate. They use it at Worsley, where I shoot and I don't get all sensitive about it :blink:

People do take the pi$$ and clays cost money. I would hate to see my club close or go "corporate only" because it's not profitable enough as a members club shoot. We've even managed to get along with a change in policy, when they stopped giving a 10% free allowance, to let you "see a pair". Now we don't "see a pair" unless we can get behind someone else on the stand and look at their birds. I don't really see that as a big deal, you don't get a trial run at pheasants and partridge when you're out and about, so why clays? Different in competition, but we're not talking competition shooting here. As regards no-birds, we've found them to be very fair about it. If we shoot 400 between us, and go back with 435 on the Claymate, we keep tabs on how many no-birds we've had on each stand and as long as it's approximately 35, then everything's OK. Otherwise it's 20p a clay :blink:

I've seen other systems, such as the token system at the Sealand ground in North Wales and I think it's ****. As for trust - if I ran a shooting ground, I wouldn't trust anybody, my feet are firmly entrenched on Planet Earth :good: :good: :rolleyes:

I just have to say that the above is some of the hardest text I have ever tried to read. I think I have a headache!

Quick reply as im late for work :blink: as i say i will give it a try see how it goes i dont like the idea of having to stand and argue in the club house and if this starts to happen ie if they stop the 10% tbh i can argue anywhere and i go shooting to enjoy myself so i will walk but i DO thing 10% is tight they pay 5p a clay max if there paying more tell em to call me .

So 100 clays cost is £5 i pay £22 so thats leaving £17 for overheads /profit now the club house is manned but they do food and drink and my guess is the proffit just there runs the club house ie pays the wages for reception OK now lets say 100 pepole come to the club on each of the 3 days its open thats £22 x 300 ** £ 6600 ** a week ok take away the clays they shoot and the 10% free = 3300 clays cost to club £1500 pound leaving £5100 before over heads !!! can anyone tell me whats so hugely expensive the battery charging the loading the traps the insurance the maintinence what !!!! i dont ask for a free 100 but to see a pair on each stand and not pay for no birds so say outright tops 120 birds if 300 pepole did the same 6000 birds = £270 taking just £270 from your proffit £5100 before over heads !!! to keep your punters happy seems like common sense to me and thats what i would want if i owned a ground ... happy punters spend more

I will tidy my txt up later and place in nice paragraphs and sentences didnt know i would get a grade on my work

:blink: i have just joined a shooting ground near to me called .......e j churchills. what you are on about dont happen there. if two members go for a shoot one afternoon, they book in at the office, go shoot what they want, say 100 birds each. when its all over they go back to reception and pay for what they have shot at.. they can see as many birds as they want to or need to. its called trust, not penny pinching,.

But to be fair, for what they charge, you could shoot 200 each time and they would still be quids in :blink:

Quick reply as im late for work :blink: as i say i will give it a try see how it goes i dont like the idea of having to stand and argue in the club house and if this starts to happen ie if they stop the 10% tbh i can argue anywhere and i go shooting to enjoy myself so i will walk but i DO thing 10% is tight they pay 5p a clay max if there paying more tell em to call me .

So 100 clays cost is £5 i pay £22 so thats leaving £17 for overheads /profit now the club house is manned but they do food and drink and my guess is the proffit just there runs the club house ie pays the wages for reception OK now lets say 100 pepole come to the club on each of the 3 days its open thats £22 x 300 ** £ 6600 ** a week ok take away the clays they shoot and the 10% free = 3300 clays cost to club £1500 pound leaving £5100 before over heads !!! can anyone tell me whats so hugely expensive the battery charging the loading the traps the insurance the maintinence what !!!! i dont ask for a free 100 but to see a pair on each stand and not pay for no birds so say outright tops 120 birds if 300 pepole did the same 6000 birds = £270 taking just £270 from your proffit £5100 before over heads !!! to keep your punters happy seems like common sense to me and thats what i would want if i owned a ground ... happy punters spend more

I will tidy my txt up later and place in nice paragraphs and sentences didnt know i would get a grade on my work

If I could second-guess the overheads of a clay shooting club without knowing anything about the set-up, I would be an accountant, which I'm not :blink:

I should imagine there are a few more costs involved in running a proper clay club than a few boxes of clays and a tea lady's wages. Worsley employs at least half-a dozen people, setting traps, reloading, tuition, reception, making tea etc etc etc. Traps cost a fortune and they're pretty unreliable from what I've seen. Quad bikes and other **** like insurance. And that's BEFORE we even get to ground rental. The club ground is rented off some big corporation and I'll bet that's not cheap. At the end of the day it's a business and if it doesn't make a tidy profit, it closes down, and I'd rather see it stay.

Worsley is a good case. Okay to see the birds if you are behind another squad. We were not so lucky. On three stands we looked at a pair, then another, then another. After wasting a pound or two, we found that the clays were travelling into the sun and could not be seen from the cage. I have been twice when the sun is shining, but never again. They ask for your car keys as security against the claymate plug in device. You feel like some sort of criminal. What use would such a device be to me. Don't like their food, prices, attitude or targets. We will not visit again.

I don't mind claymate, if the people behind the counter would have a bit of trust.

Example. Broomhills, **** ground but if you go back and say 20 birds lost from 100 they take them off without arguing. Ok, 22p a clay but it's not that bad.

Flip side example.

Lakenheath. They have signs, all over the place, the counters are handed over on the understanding etc. If you press you pay. ********.

ok they don't have many no birds but they do have them. Policy is to "tell someone". If you can find a someone then they honour the loss. If you can't they won't.

To me it's about being sensible.

Claymates stop ****holes I have seen at the A1 wander off having paid for 50 yet taking 100 carts. taking another pair at a stand because you missed 5 pairs isn't the same thing at all.

I don't mind claymate, if the people behind the counter would have a bit of trust.

Example. Broomhills, **** ground but if you go back and say 20 birds lost from 100 they take them off without arguing. Ok, 22p a clay but it's not that bad.

Flip side example.

Lakenheath. They have signs, all over the place, the counters are handed over on the understanding etc. If you press you pay. ********.

ok they don't have many no birds but they do have them. Policy is to "tell someone". If you can find a someone then they honour the loss. If you can't they won't.

To me it's about being sensible.

Claymates stop ****holes I have seen at the A1 wander off having paid for 50 yet taking 100 carts. taking another pair at a stand because you missed 5 pairs isn't the same thing at all.

Agreed :rolleyes:

I think if a ground does abuse Claymate and blatantly rip their customers off by refusing to honour a reasonable number of no-birds, then people will vote with their feet. At Worsley, we all grumbled and muttered when they did away with the 10% free allowance, but now that we've seen that there is flexibility and common sense applied, it is accepted without resentment. I do agree though, it is slightly awkward when you approach the desk on your return, with a load of no-birds. As it turns out, if you've had a load of no-birds, then there are going to be others who returned before you who also had a load, so they don't sound surprised and they accept it without question. I suppose if everybody else came back with half a dozen, and you stroll in announcing 60 no-birds, it could get tricky :no: :o ;) B)

I agree with Gordon R about Worsley and clays into the sun we do not go on sunny days either.

I cannot understand why we have to hand over car keys,whats wrong with leaving your name and phone number.

I was talking to the owner of Blackpool last night and we how many shooters were taking extra clays and not paying for them.

When you walk around you see it happening and it's normally the same folk week in week out.

He told me how much it had cost to install Claymate but he had been told by the installer that he should get his money back in less than 12 months.

If grounds decide to close down due to not making enough money where are we going to shoot?

Are we going to go back to standing in muddy fields and using manual traps or pay a little bit extra to shoot somewhere decent.

Clay shooting has never been a cheap sport and with cartridges and clays going up in price like they are it's only going to get worse.

We should never forget you are only here once and you can't take it with you.

I agree with Gordon R about Worsley and clays into the sun we do not go on sunny days either.

I cannot understand why we have to hand over car keys,whats wrong with leaving your name and phone number.

I was talking to the owner of Blackpool last night and we how many shooters were taking extra clays and not paying for them.

When you walk around you see it happening and it's normally the same folk week in week out.

He told me how much it had cost to install Claymate but he had been told by the installer that he should get his money back in less than 12 months.

If grounds decide to close down due to not making enough money where are we going to shoot?

Are we going to go back to standing in muddy fields and using manual traps or pay a little bit extra to shoot somewhere decent.

Clay shooting has never been a cheap sport and with cartridges and clays going up in price like they are it's only going to get worse.

We should never forget you are only here once and you can't take it with you.

The key "deposit" is purely because some people couldn't be ***** handing in their counter, or they would accidentally stick it in their pocket and take it home - and then couldn't be ***** bringing it back!!! When you get to your car and find you've got no keys, you remember why. Personally, I don't feel offended by having to leave something behind, be it keys or SGC, but I suppose it's what I've got used to.

Regarding shooting into the sun, yes it can be a problem at Worsley, but a pair of shades tend to solve it :rolleyes:

99% of the moans I hear about Worsley are from people who can't hit hard targets. The worst foul-mouthed tirade I ever heard was from a certain Essex shooter who has shot for England, who couldn't hit a pair of fast, low, driven birds :no: :o ;) B) :look: He effed and whined continuously, abused the referee, blamed everything but his own inadequacies.

I can hit those particular targets, and I'm **** :huh::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fair enough about the "deposit" but putting clays into the sun is ridiculous and unnecessary.

I only started going to Worsley two years ago but I wouldn't call the clays hard.

You have to read them a bit more but thats all. I do like the variation that is put on but some stands are never changed at all.

An acquaintance of mine commented about people wearing cammo gear but it's a free society.

Has David Lloyd put a total ban on no birds? Because if he has people will vote with their feet.

I quite like the place I just don't like the long access road but the first time I went the low flying aircraft were a little bit distracting too.

I have shot at Kelbrook many times, no problem, name and telephone number.

I have not shot at Worsley for many years, and doubt that I will be rushing there. No way would I hand over my car keys or SGC. Try explaining to your insurers that your car was knicked whilst someone you hardly knew kept the keys. I doubt that the chief constable would be too pleased if your SGC went missing, especially when you explain the circumstances.

I dont know what is wrong with a cash deposit, refundable on return of the counter, the cost of the shooting can be deducted from the deposit.

All grounds have no birds, I always take the no birds and explain at the counter, I have never had a problem. If I was ever seriously challenged or quized I would probably vote with my feet, and ensure that other knew why.

webber

Fair enough about the "deposit" but putting clays into the sun is ridiculous and unnecessary.

I only started going to Worsley two years ago but I wouldn't call the clays hard.

You have to read them a bit more but thats all. I do like the variation that is put on but some stands are never changed at all.

An acquaintance of mine commented about people wearing cammo gear but it's a free society.

Has David Lloyd put a total ban on no birds? Because if he has people will vote with their feet.

I quite like the place I just don't like the long access road but the first time I went the low flying aircraft were a little bit distracting too.

They've done away with the practice of allowing you 10% over, which used to be understood to cover no birds and "seeing a pair". So, officially, there is no allowance for anything now, but in reality, if you record that, say, you had 2 no birds on Stand 5 etc and make the no birds total known at reception when you go back, there isn't a problem. As I mentioned earlier though, It might be a bit awkward if you had a bad day with no birds and reported a no birds total that was much higher than others were reporting - I suspect they wouldn't believe you :no:

I find the targets at Worsley a good mix, I think some of them are hard, some are very easy, as you say, one or two of the stands never seem to change. I think one of the problems with the sun is that that woodland is rented and I don't think they're allowed to rip the harris out of it, so although it looks a big area, in reality they're a bit limited on where they can put traps, especially taking into account that they can't be facing paths and other traps hidden in the wood. As it is you tend to get showered with shot at some of the stands :o ;) B) I also heard that a neighbouring farmer made it clear that he wouldn't allow any shot coming onto his fields, as his daughter rode horses there occasionally, which is fair enough, but it meant that one complete side of the wood needed to be avoided.

I've only ever seen one barmpot in full camo gear, including his semi-auto Rambo gun in fine Realtree camo paint, so that the clays won't spot him :rolleyes: :look: :huh::lol: but you do get plenty of game shooters there, keeping their eye in with a few clays. They tend to be either in camo jackets or tweeds and wellies, but that's understandable. The real balloons are half-way back down the entrance track - weekend warriors in the airgun club, head to toe in camo, including sniper nets and scopes the size of dustbins. Lurking about in the woods potting paper targets. They look like a bunch of misfits who've been refused an SGC, because they're not all there :lol:

Well, that's it then.

I will not be going down to Worsley again!

What a pity they have done away with the 10% for no birds etc;

If I want to go south again I will visit Rishton instead.

And before anyone mentions it I have not spat the dummy out,it's nice to be honest and trusted.

Well, that's it then.

And before anyone mentions it I have not spat the dummy out,it's nice to be honest and trusted.

Well said!!

webber

Well, that's it then.

;) B) :look:

I don't think you've spat your dummy out, mate :no:

I suppose it's just what you're used to. I've only shot clays for a couple of years and this trust thing is a bit alien to me :huh:

I've only ever shot at about 3 clay grounds and there doesn't seem to be much trust at any of them :o

I know there have been "incidents" at Worsley in the past regarding betrayal of trust, so maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. :rolleyes:

Blaser F3 - Rishton has better targets - nothing stupid, better food and nicer people who run it. Many targets at Worsley were hanging in a gap in the trees. Bit like rifle shooting rather than clays. They have a tower, but you have to pay extra to shoot it. I didn't see any reduction on the stands where the targets were absolute garbage. Just strikes me that they are interested in the money, rather than the sport. The approach road is a disgrace and they should have sorted years ago.

Must admit I've toyed with the idea of traveling up to Lakenheath a couple of times and their reputation with Claymate has stopped me. Alas other grounds have benefited from my custom as a result! I don't mind using Claymate so long as the owners are fair, and in my limited experience most are.

We once went up to High Lodge and, it has to be said, we must have suffered at least 20-30 no birds, it was shocking. Back at the club house they had no reservations about knocking them off the tally and accepted there were problems on a few traps that day. Result - we have returned and they got more custom from us (and we didn't have the same problems again). All it takes is a little honesty and trust - from all.