No 9 shot .

When I wanted to try the 9’s in .410 I had to order them. I tried one slab and was impressed enough to order another. 
They are not my usual load as they put too much lead in game and I like to eat game, but they absolutely cut crows to shreds. Obviously, I never used any on rabbits. 
Somebody has already posted that the largest sensible shot for a .410 is English size 7. This has been my (long) experience and is the biggest I ever buy. Works fine on rabbits but really puts too many pellets in them for eating purposes. If I was using my .410 for ferreting I would go up another size, but over 99% of my rabbits are rifled. 
Nearly everyone keeps talking about loads of 19 to 21 gram in a .410. You all forget that is a .410 MAGNUM. A .410 shoots a half ounce (14 gram) load.

I believe  stone Park is right with his hollow cone theory of the shot column . This especially  holds true foe the smaller calibers . The least damaged pellets (on exiting the bore ) will be at the middle and front of the colum as they will hold the most speed and energy and arrive on target first .

The ones at he back and round the out sides will get more damage and hence lose speed faster (lower bc ) these will arrive last to the target and generally make up the pellets that hit around the point of aim making up the width of the pattern .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

I believe  stone Park is right with his hollow cone theory of the shot column . This especially  holds true foe the smaller calibers . The least damaged pellets (on exiting the bore ) will be at the middle and front of the colum as they will hold the most speed and energy and arrive on target first .

The ones at he back and round the out sides will get more damage and hence lose speed faster (lower bc ) these will arrive last to the target and generally make up the pellets that hit around the point of aim making up the width of the pattern .

I am sure this is not our friend Stonepark’s own theory, as I am sure he would be the first to admit. 
The shot column being like a funnel travelling neck first has been an acknowledged fact for at least a hundred years.

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

They dont in UK, but homeload 410 fibre 21g no9 looks like this at 35 yards.....

Both Bornaghi and Fiocchi do, do them but not imported here due to normal bias that you need 6's

https://www.bornaghi.it/en/natural/magnum-19/

https://fiocchi.com/en/870804-870810.html

No 9 BLM 21g.JPG

Nice!

Simply out of interest and assuming 21g is c429 pellets, as my old eyes can't be certain, is that 30" outer, 20" inner with 92 and 146 pellets respectively giving 238 in the 30"?

Cheers

16 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Nice!

Simply out of interest and assuming 21g is c429 pellets, as my old eyes can't be certain, is that 30" outer, 20" inner with 92 and 146 pellets respectively giving 238 in the 30"?

Cheers

Correct, through a Briley Light Modified Choke which gives the best pattern out of my gun.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I am sure this is not our friend Stonepark’s own theory, as I am sure he would be the first to admit. 
The shot column being like a funnel travelling neck first has been an acknowledged fact for at least a hundred years.

Correct, but we now have high speed photography which helps confirm the "theory".

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Correct, through a Briley Light Modified Choke which gives the best pattern out of my gun.

Many thanks. The figures equate to a 1/8th choke but the pattern itself as you say gives a light modified performance. I've started having a look at the .410 with c16g of 7&1/2s in mind. For medical reasons I was looking at OUs but the cheap and cheerful variety all weigh more than my 20 bore which defeats the objective.

14 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Correct, but we now have high speed photography which helps confirm the "theory".

Unfortunately, this compounds the issue. Previously if you missed or wounded a quarry it was because - well - you missed. Now you may well have centred it in the pattern but got the same result, but just too far back where the pellets are as sparse as those on the edge of the pattern. :mad:

On 19/07/2022 at 10:04, London Best said:

No. 9 runs out of energy for birds at around 30 yards.

This would be my worry. I reload almost all of my 410s and have gone to 6s in bismuth because that was what was vailable.  Up[ to me to pit it in the pattern..

For clays, yes no problem, shot thousands at skeet .   I might be happy to use 9s in my 410 for walked up snipe.  Now that would be fun.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

This would be my worry. I reload almost all of my 410s and have gone to 6s in bismuth because that was what was vailable.  Up[ to me to pit it in the pattern..

For clays, yes no problem, shot thousands at skeet .   I might be happy to use 9s in my 410 for walked up snipe.  Now that would be fun.

You wouldn’t happen to have any Bismuth recipes using fibrewads per chance ,I have all but given up hope of finding steel wads in this country. I have Bismuth ,new hulls ,powder including Steel csbo  bluedot ,I know I can get fibre wads just need some tried and trusted recipes.

7 hours ago, holloway said:

You wouldn’t happen to have any Bismuth recipes using fibrewads per chance ,I have all but given up hope of finding steel wads in this country. I have Bismuth ,new hulls ,powder including Steel csbo  bluedot ,I know I can get fibre wads just need some tried and trusted recipes.

I spoke to Folkestone engineering and they said just use the same load you would for lead just swap the shot to Bismuth 

14 hours ago, bunny_blaster said:

I spoke to Folkestone engineering and they said just use the same load you would for lead just swap the shot to Bismuth 

That is basicall what I have done. I changed pwoder from SP3 to LilGun because that was what was available and dropped the powder load to 0.9grams under 18 grams.

35 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Don't really know about .410, but 13.89gr would seem about right perhaps

Neville either means that he has dropped the SHOT load to 18 grams ( which is what I think he means) or he has dropped the powder load to 18 grains (which is a lot for Lil’gun).  
18 grams of powder is about 277 grains (in my head calculation) which I suspect would produce dangerous pressures all over the place!

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Neville either means that he has dropped the SHOT load to 18 grams ( which is what I think he means) or he has dropped the powder load to 18 grains (which is a lot for Lil’gun).  
18 grams of powder is about 277 grains (in my head calculation) which I suspect would produce dangerous pressures all over the place!

Life is never easy! I substituted 'load' with 'charge and read the rest as 18 grams over the now reduced 0.9 grams (13.89gr) and it seemed to make sense.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I didn't get GCE at English bear with me....the load is 0.9 grams of LilleGun and 18 grams of bismuth #6s

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I didn't get GCE at English bear with me....the load is 0.9 grams of LilleGun and 18 grams of bismuth #6s

Ahh! I see now exactly what terminology you were using. My mistake. I have never known a powder charge to be measured in grams, just grains. 
I read it that you had lowered (dropped) the powder weight to less than 18 grams and I thought you meant to write shot load.

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Ahh! I see now exactly what terminology you were using. My mistake. I have never known a powder charge to be measured in grams, just grains. 
I read it that you had lowered (dropped) the powder weight to less than 18 grams and I thought you meant to write shot load.

Could have been worse - just don't mention drams. :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...