Greatest guitarists of all time

Gordon R

I saw a link whilst reading one of the on-line tabloids. I rather foolishly stuck with the 100 list and wished I hadn't.

Keith Richards consistently makes the top ten, when he wasn't the best guitarist in the Rolling Stones. Brian Jones, Ron Wood and especially Mick Taylor were streets ahead.

Pete Townsend makes the cut, but no place for Joe Walsh, who Townsend accepts is way ahead of him.

Similarly no mention of Ollie Halsall, Elliott Randall, Ernie Isley, Robin Trower, Peter Frampton  and many more. 

Ringo Starr gets in the drummers list, when Clem Cattini replaced Starr on the early records, as Starr wasn't up to the job.

I accept that contentious lists are there to grab your interest, but one might expect a little more reality. Rant over.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

Have anyone  mentioned Bert Weedon yet ? :lol: , good in his day . but he didn't have that much competition at the time , mind you they had some decent ones in the Shadows :hmm:

Did you ever see the Bert Weedon sketch , on not the nine o'clock news ?. It was a classic.

I always get sucked in to reading these lists too. Hendrix always makes the top 5, maybe because he was a true innovator, certainly not based on his recorded output. Never really understood what makes one guitarist 'better' than another, and who is qualified to judge? Maybe I'm overthinking this a bit..😂

9 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Did you ever see the Bert Weedon sketch , on not the nine o'clock news ?. It was a classic.

Once met Bert Weedon, very nice bloke.

He asked me if I played the guitar, but I had to confess that I couldn't play a note 😄

Technique - Ernie Isley can do anything Jimi Hendrix could do.

If you want fast - Ollie Halsall.

Recorded output - Jimmy Page.

Before Jimi died, he never made the top spot. It was always Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and then Jimi Hendrix. After his death, he suddenly became better. Not sure how that works.

The Yardbirds had more than their fair share - Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck.

12 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Eric Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the best guitarist in the world, his reply was I don't know ask Prince.

He did this as a response to not being voted in the top 100 guitar players, watch to the end 

Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - YouTube