Touch of Nostalgia

billytheghillie

Recently when i have been showering i have used Cussons Imperial Leather soap. but tonight i was taken aback as in the shower was a cake of Pears soap. I held it up to see through its golden amber colour and childhood memories came flooding back. Wonder whats next?  Wrights Coal Tar?  Lifebuoy? or good old fashioned Carbolic. Happy Days :good:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I use wright's coal tar or Imperial leather soap.

What!

No "Cadum for madame", nor, as the joke had it "Liril for Cyril"

Imperial Leather for me too, Wright's Coal Tar reminds me too much of school.

Nostalgia indeed.
At home in the 50’s my mum always had a copy of Pears Cyclopaedia and the first page was a drawing of a dirty tramp writing a letter saying “I used your soap two years ago since when I have used no other”.

I use  coal tar soap when on holiday. Part of being away.

My father was a Brylcreem Boy (ex RAF) with Imperial Leather soap and Old Spice aftershave. 

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.    

Sadly, nor is Wrights Coal Tar, which is no longer based on coal tar (now considered carcinogenic) and uses tea tree oil for its medicinal/antiseptic properties but has a 'coal tar fragrance'.

Wrights_Cold_Tar_Soap_Logo.png

Quote:

"European Union directives on cosmetics have banned the use of coal tar in non-prescription products, resulting in the removal of coal tar derivatives from the formula and replacement with tea tree oil as the main anti-bacterial ingredient. To cloak this major variance from the original recipe, an attempt has been made to approximate the look and smell of the original product, and it is presented in the same packaging as Wright’s Coal Tar soap, with the wording altered."

Does anyone else find that you get 2/3 the way through a bar of soap and the rest just seems to go to mush and becomes a slimy sticky mess? , i end up chucking it down the bog to get rid of it. It never seems to happen years ago, have they changed the formuls do you think.

1 minute ago, peck said:

Does anyone else find that you get 2/3 the way through a bar of soap and the rest just seems to go to mush and becomes a slimy sticky mess? , i end up chucking it down the bog to get rid of it. It never seems to happen years ago, have they changed the formuls do you think.

My feeling is that soft water causes it to go mushy.  I live in a hard water area and it is a job to get a good lather - even with shaving soap.  The bar lasts until the last sliver.  However, when I visit Scotland where the water is soft - a few whisks of the brush makes a huge lather - even on an ordinary soap bar - and you get through soap much faster.

11 minutes ago, peck said:

Let it dry out, start the new bar for a few days and then use up the old one. Simples!

2 hours ago, peck said:

I have a wall mounted stainless wire soap dish to stand the soap in. Gets a good airflow round it a stops it going mushy. 

20220721_122822.jpg

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Baahhhaa...................fairy liquid for me 

I didn't know you were a fairy. 😁