Guys i need some advice please

My wife has chickens and unfortunately a fox got to the chickens and has very badly wounded her rooster. She tryed cleaning the wound out ect but noticed it is now maggot infested and he is basicly dying. Guys i am a paper puncher i dont do hunting or pest control , however it dose not take a rocket scientist to relise the chicken is suffering. Wound a .22 BSA pcp 12ft pd rifle do the job if i shoot him in the head and where what pellet should i use i got some hades pellets , i am not thrilled with the idea of this however i just want the suffering for him to end. However i dont wany to shoot him and the rifle not being powerfull enough to the job and he ends up suffering more ,bloody foxes.

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just chop his head off!  

This might sound daft but he suffered enough , i dont want his last moments to be in fear , i would rather just shoot him while he is sleeping so he dosnt know about it , my wife raised him form a egg nearly two years ago so he pretty much a pet , also many years ago in the army we where learning how to kill and eat chickens and one of the guys didnt put enough force into taking the head of , so it took two attemps to do it. Like i said in the post mate i just want it to be quick. 

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just chop his head off!  

This. Hanging him upside down by his legs and he'll be calm enough. Wringing the necks of old cocks isn't always easy and a chop with an axe is humane enough. Indeed I shake my head in disbelief when I see all those British Army videos of grown men mangling necks and tearing skin when they've all got an adequate knife on their belt to do the job.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, kory1986 said:

My wife has chickens and unfortunately a fox got to the chickens and has very badly wounded her rooster. She tryed cleaning the wound out ect but noticed it is now maggot infested and he is basicly dying. Guys i am a paper puncher i dont do hunting or pest control , however it dose not take a rocket scientist to relise the chicken is suffering. Wound a .22 BSA pcp 12ft pd rifle do the job if i shoot him in the head and where what pellet should i use i got some hades pellets , i am not thrilled with the idea of this however i just want the suffering for him to end. However i dont wany to shoot him and the rifle not being powerfull enough to the job and he ends up suffering more ,bloody foxes.

Where are you kory ?.

One of your local pw members will probably be more than happy to pop round and take care of things for you mate.

Most of us here would do it without a second thought , but it's not something that everyone can do . Fair play to you for trying to do the right thing mate.

2 hours ago, kory1986 said:

This might sound daft but he suffered enough , i dont want his last moments to be in fear , i would rather just shoot him while he is sleeping so he dosnt know about it , my wife raised him form a egg nearly two years ago so he pretty much a pet , also many years ago in the army we where learning how to kill and eat chickens and one of the guys didnt put enough force into taking the head of , so it took two attemps to do it. Like i said in the post mate i just want it to be quick. 

Not doubting your motives, but do animals have fear of death?

2 hours ago, kory1986 said:

How quick do you think a sharp knife is?

Bit of advice .

As we all  know the story  about a headless chicken running about .it's true .a bird when hit in the head (or chopped off ) will usually flap like mad spinning backwards in somersaults. 

If your holding it. Its gonna get very real and probably upsetting .

A pellet shot from a distance (absolutely  to the back of the head - is best ) and if he flaps about you can walk away till he is done (he will be 100 % dead but they still flap.) 

A shot that is a bit lower down to the centre of his back will hit his heart /neck area and will shut him down .much much faster .and is preferred. 

And yes your sub 12 .22 with hades will be fine .and do the job .

Its done 

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

If he is sleeping ok - it may be a vet can sort him out for you 

Not so much sleeping m8 than just bearly being able to hold his head , bloody foxes it injured him badly and took one of the hens and left one dead. Wife is in bits now.  

4 minutes ago, kory1986 said:

Thank you guys for the advice it was very much appreciated. Admin you can lock this thread now if you want ,  as the situation has now been delt with 

I'm glad that the situation has been dealt with mate . You just need to attend to the fox now 👍.