Brown Trout or Tiger?

Smokersmith

So … caught this in a river recently (not stocked).

Very different markings to a usual brown trout, and a few buddies have suggested it’s a Tiger trout (usually the result of a crossing between Brook and Brown trout).

Anyone on here confident enough to say either way?A946763D-D3FC-43FA-AA41-773A045AECB2.jpeg.85bbdc8da6ecd939b21784e176d05b27.jpeg

A9636ADF-DB85-4AA7-AFC4-DDD04BF50E59.jpeg

Edited by Smokersmith
Omission

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Very different markings to a usual brown trout, and a few buddies have suggested it’s a Tiger trout (usually the result of a crossing between Brook and Brown trout).

Anyone on here confident enough to say either way?A946763D-D3FC-43FA-AA41-773A045AECB2.jpeg.85bbdc8da6ecd939b21784e176d05b27.jpeg

My eyes say Brown Trout as Tiger Trout have lines/stripes instead of spots 

Very cool looking brown trout in my opinion.  Here in Wisconsin we get quite a bit of tigers and therefore quite a lot of photos of tigers (still trying to catch one myself), and the char genes seem to always prevail in their appearance.  That is, lighter markings (the tiger "stripes") against a dark background.  What you've shown reminds me somewhat of the marble trout of the eastern alps.  In any case a very pretty fish.

I caught a similar trout in my local river years ago (the goyt) its had me guessing for years after but I've never heard of any tiger trout being caught in there but you never know its bottom jaw was longer could of been a deformitie I guess probably from living in the goyt 😂

On 21/07/2022 at 14:27, Smokersmith said:

I’d say brown trout  But it’s not unlike a trout In Ireland called the Gillaroo around lough Melvin feeds mostly on snails etc Lovely fish Smokersmith 

On 25/07/2022 at 18:16, Gerry78 said:

I’d say brown trout  But it’s not unlike a trout In Ireland called the Gillaroo around lough Melvin feeds mostly on snails etc Lovely fish Smokersmith 

Hello, had some lovely times trout and sea fishing in Co Clare , I belong to the  Lickeen  Lough trout club, use to stay with a nice Irish couple in Ennistymon

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, had some lovely times trout and sea fishing in Co Clare , I belong to the  Lickeen  Lough trout club, use to stay with a nice Irish couple in Ennistymon

I haven’t been lucky enough to fish down Irelands wild Atlantic way glad to here you have there’s some great rivers and loughs  down there as well as smashing sea angling by the shore or boat Couple lads I work with would go out on the boats Good job mate Co Clare A smashing county Hopefully you got a nice pint of Guinness 👍👍😊

20 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

I haven’t been lucky enough to fish down Irelands wild Atlantic way glad to here you have there’s some great rivers and loughs  down there as well as smashing sea angling by the shore or boat Couple lads I work with would go out on the boats Good job mate Co Clare A smashing county Hopefully you got a nice pint of Guinness 👍👍😊

Hello, I have some good memories of Co Clare but my friends have sadly passed so not likely to go again, cheers

• 3 weeks later...