David Paul Gag

2 minutes ago, david Paul Gag said:

Sorry about that I wasn't very explicit ha'ha    I've used Fiocchi on clays for many years but have been using  Game bore clear pigeon on vermin but am thinking of changing to to Fiocchi pigeon load ? Is that a little clearer ??? 

What makes you think any pigeon will notice the difference?

Now funny you should say that but I had been reading a article   re pigeon cartridge performance witch was quit damming on Fiocchi pigeon load so thats why I'm wondering what you guys think ?

2 hours ago, London Best said:

What makes you think any pigeon will notice the difference?

15 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

If your using the fiocchi clay cartridges,  stick with them for pigeons too. Honestly a f black,  f blue,  f3 in 7 1/2 will kill any pigeon that ever flew. 

Interesting as my current choice is quite expensive. Is that because they're English 7s? I know about the f3, are the others available in fibre do you know?

MTIA

10 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

If your using the fiocchi clay cartridges,  stick with them for pigeons too. Honestly a f black,  f blue,  f3 in 7 1/2 will kill any pigeon that ever flew. 

Some times I feel I could do with a bit more poke on those longer birds don;t like them getting away (I'm sold on f black sporter's for clays) 

Bear in mind the Fiocchi are a continental no6, so a UK 5, a bit of a large pellet for pigeon, so open patterns at range leading to escaped and wounded birds even with heavy choke......

A quality 5% antimony clay cartridge in 7.5it (UK no7) will drop every pigeon with 45 yards if you are on target, without needing to be choked F\F.

50 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Bear in mind the Fiocchi are a continental no6, so a UK 5, a bit of a large pellet for pigeon, so open patterns at range leading to escaped and wounded birds even with heavy choke......

A quality 5% antimony clay cartridge in 7.5it (UK no7) will drop every pigeon with 45 yards if you are on target, without needing to be choked F\F.

Yes get what you are saying re Fblack 7.5 being a 7 uk  (do they do them in fibra ?) but think the 32g pigeon load are UK6  maybe I am over thinking it ?                                         just feel I need a bit more ?but always felt like that all my life???

22 hours ago, david Paul Gag said:

Yes get what you are saying re Fblack 7.5 being a 7 uk  (do they do them in fibra ?) but think the 32g pigeon load are UK6  maybe I am over thinking it ?                                         just feel I need a bit more ?but always felt like that all my life???

Age and infirmity has meant that I'm now content with 1 oz of 7s with lighter than that on a bad day. There is just one exception. I, also, used to like to stretch it back in the day and suitable loads were then readily available but for some unfathomable reason they've all pretty much disappeared from the UK loaders' offerings. The energy and pattern thrown by 1 oz of 7s with not too much choke are an ideal combination. However, for a stretch and if you are happy to use 1&1/8 oz  then 6&1/2s (Italian 7s) give you what you fancy albeit with a tad more choke - bit lighter if you up the choke a little more. My exception is on a good day and I can manage it I'll use the 12 bore which is fixed choke with 1 oz of 6&1/2s although I've really got these for the corvids. 

Edited by wymberley

3 hours ago, david Paul Gag said:

Now funny you should say that but I had been reading a article   re pigeon cartridge performance witch was quit damming on Fiocchi pigeon load so thats why I'm wondering what you guys think ?

The 'dammer' probably couldn't put it in the pattern and was trying to emulate shots seen on youtube at stupid ranges.  

I have only once in plus 60 years of shooting winged game/vermin come across a cartridge which was not up to the job.  Countrywide Stores when it was in business had some of their own loads 1 1/8th #6 and they where truly pathetic and I wrote and told them so. That was back in the arly 70s.  It really does make me laugh out loud when I see different boxes labelled soecifically for pigeon. Tell me how different is killing a pigeon to a partridge, pheasant, grouse, woodcock at sensible ranges ?

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

It really does make me laugh out loud when I see different boxes labelled soecifically for pigeon. Tell me how different is killing a pigeon to a partridge, pheasant, grouse, woodcock at sensible ranges ?

It's not the target that is different but the cartridge components and therefore pattern and consistency.

Purely as hypothetical examples....

High End Game Cartridge - High Brass 16mm+, B&G F2 powder, Quad Seal, Diana wad, 5% Antimony well graded shot, high velocity and recoil, Patterns as per choke- £££

Mid to Low End Game Cartridge - 12mm brass, vectan powder, 4mm OPC, Diana wad, 3% antimony shot, mild velocity and recoil, patterns 5% more open than choke - ££

Pigeon Cartridge - 8mm brass, maxam powder, 3mm OPC, Chilled\Tempered Shot or at best 1% antimony, mild velocity and recoil, patterns 10% more open than choke - £

Quality Clay - med to high brass 12 - 16mm,  vectan powder, 4mm OPC, Diana wad, 5% well graded antimony shot, high velocity, mild recoil, patterns as per choke - £

I see shot quality and hardness (due to least damaged shot) as making the biggest difference between the above cartridges in pattern performance and consistency, hence my preference for 12b 28g no7.5 euro, 5% antimony cartridges for pigeon over similarly priced or more expensive pigeon cartridges with softer lead. I also believe the extra pellets (340 in no7 v's 300 pellets in 32g no6) are advantageous due to the smaller size of pigeons\crows compared to pheasants.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I really don't think I would like to be a pigeon shot with any of them by a competent shot at a sensible rantge but thanks for pointing all that out.

Agreed, out to 40 yards, any one of them results in a dead bird, virtually no matter who manufactured or produced it.

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

The fiocchi pigeon cartridges are part of their traditional english cartridge range made for the U.K. market and are U.K. shot sizes so 6 they say is 2.6mm.

Have used a few and they work satisfactorily however like all cartridges they are getting expensive.

from fiocchi facebook page

image.jpeg.8ce6c92de08f1ed7cdd2b83f6a5ca102.jpeg

Edited by rbrowning2

Thanks for that Guys Its all very thought provoking for information purposes when shooting clays my proffered cartridge these days are fiocchi F blacks 8.5 sporters I believe they will break any thing out there . I am old so maybe its just  a matter of etiquette with me I've all ways used 6s on live quarry but we will see 

1 hour ago, david Paul Gag said:

Thanks for that Guys Its all very thought provoking for information purposes when shooting clays my proffered cartridge these days are fiocchi F blacks 8.5 sporters I believe they will break any thing out there . I am old so maybe its just  a matter of etiquette with me I've all ways used 6s on live quarry but we will see 

Try the f black sporting 8.5 through 1/2 and you will hammer pigeons,  stick a full choke in, and you will pillow case 40 yard pigeons. Honestly try them,  you will be very surprised how hard them f black 8.5's will hit pigeons. Pigeon shooting over decoys doesn't need 32g 6's . I was consistently killing pigeons with 21g 7 1/2 fiocchi tts at weekend through a 1/2 choke. All  shot between 20 and 35 yards. Had a dolly mixture of cartridges,  and these were in it. Get the shot in front of them,there in trouble. 

8 hours ago, Fellside said:

I personally find that longer birds beyond about 40 yards need a size 6 pellet. 

A Italian no . 7 1/2  will kill consistently  40 yard pigeons,  and  definitely knock them beyond 40 yards, but may not be killed.  But you can Also just break the wings of a pigeon with a  no.6 or 5 at 20 yards. But if your decoyin pigeons  and all shots are 40 yards +,  then  your not doing your job right, as most pigeons I would say decoyin are shot within 35 yards, and closer. Obviously roost shooting in winter especially in strong winds is a different matter. It's all with what your happy with and have confidence in. But my go to  cartridge for decoyin pigeons would be hard hitting 7 1/2 ( English 7)every time. 

12 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Try the f black sporting 8.5 through 1/2 and you will hammer pigeons,  stick a full choke in, and you will pillow case 40 yard pigeons. Honestly try them,  you will be very surprised how hard them f black 8.5's will hit pigeons. Pigeon shooting over decoys doesn't need 32g 6's . I was consistently killing pigeons with 21g 7 1/2 fiocchi tts at weekend through a 1/2 choke. All  shot between 20 and 35 yards. Had a dolly mixture of cartridges,  and these were in it. Get the shot in front of them,there in trouble. 

2 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

A Italian no . 7 1/2  will kill consistently  40 yard pigeons,  and  definitely knock them beyond 40 yards, but may not be killed.  But you can Also just break the wings of a pigeon with a  no.6 or 5 at 20 yards. But if your decoyin pigeons  and all shots are 40 yards +,  then  your not doing your job right, as most pigeons I would say decoyin are shot within 35 yards, and closer. Obviously roost shooting in winter especially in strong winds is a different matter. It's all with what your happy with and have confidence in. But my go to  cartridge for decoyin pigeons would be hard hitting 7 1/2 ( English 7)every time. 

Just saying really like these posts and the 8.5 can be bought in fibra may have to give it a go

2 minutes ago, david Paul Gag said:

Just saying really like these posts and the 8.5 can be bought in fibra may have to give it a go

Any of the fiocchi I have shot all have been plastic wad. Fibre clay cartridges are hard got over here, as no one really uses them. So there may may be a difference in performance between the 2. May not be. Try them anyway, they will kill pigeons either way 👍