.17hmr at it again

kip270

On tuesday i finished work, got changed and headed up to my permission, then with only 4miles to go the Heavens opened and it chucked it down :blink: :blink: So i turned around and headed back home, i wasn't in my flt more than 5mins and the sun came out :good::good: But i decided not to head back out but to leave it till yesterday(wednesday). This afternoon was lovely, so i grabbed the .17hmr and went of after Grey Squirrel's again (i have never seen so many around before).

I pulled up the farm drive and park close to a barn out of the way, looking into the closest field i spotted some crows, but thought that as soon as i got out of the car they would fly off, but they didn't, so i opened the back door and grabbed my CZ out of the bag, screwed the mod on, put five rounds in the mag, put the bolt in and then put the mag in and chambered a round into the breech. The crows still sat there without a care in the world :rolleyes: I placed the cross-hairs on the closest one and squeezed off my shot. At 98 yards it didn't have a chance.

98ydcrow.jpg

Then i scanned the field for any squirrels and there was one sat bolt upright, it's white chest stuck out like a sore thumb in the grass, it was over 300 yards away, so i planned my stalk and headed off. I managed to get 70 yards away from it, and it went back into the wood, so i sat down and waited for it to come back out. I was using the last of my CCI TNT 17grain bullets.

Then the squirrel came back out at around 65 yards, i placed the cross-hairs on its chest and squeezed the trigger, my shot found it's mark but the squirrel jumped and ran a few yards!!!! I got up and walked up to where it dropped and looking at it my shot was a perfect heart shot, so not too impressed with the CCI, i changed back to the Winchester V-Max(same point of impact) I looked up and spotted another in the hedge, only 10 yards away, "Wack" another one in the bag.

Two in only a few minutes, i was having a good day again.

Maybe there would be a few more out further along the wood edge, so i slowly stalked along, scanning with my bins, then spotted one, at around 200 yards, looked for a good firing point and made my way to that, when i got there i was within 150yards of where the squirrel was, i went to sit down when i spotted one 12 yards away at the bottom of an oak tree, so i took a standing shot "Thwack" number three in the bag. I stayed where i was and led down waiting for the longer range one to come back out, then after 10mins there it was, but it was not staying in one place to long, kept on it and waited for the shot, then it stood up and "Thwack" number four in the bag, at 119 yards ???

119yd.jpg

View from my firing point

IMG00219.jpg

Just then a movement to my left caught my eye, it was another one on the oak tree where i had shot one moments earlier, i adjusted the parallax, placed the cross-hairs on its chest and another one in the bag a total of 5 in less than 20 mins.

IMG00221.jpg

Well with all these being out i just had to go and see if i could spot anymore, so headed over to another patch of woodland, and as i was walking along a track i spotted one in a big beech tree, but being in the air i wasn't going to take a shot but just watch where it would go, then a rustle on the ground, i looked down and there was one 5 yards away, brought up my rifle and number six was added.

IMG00223.jpg

Walking across a field to the next bit of wood, i slowly made my way to the gate, and there was yet another squirrel, only 8 yards away, that was in the bag too.

IMG00224.jpg

Walking along the path through the wood, i spotted another squirrel but it made off before i could get a shot off, so i carried on until i came to a gateway to another field, i stood for a few mins and scanned with my bins, and there was another one, i got under the fence and put my bi-pod on my rifle and pinged the squirrel with my range finder, 110 yards, i got my Holland field bag and settled down waiting to take my shot, it stopped, i squeezed off my shot "Thwack" number 8 in the bag,

110yd.jpg

i knelt up to get to my feet and then i saw another one to my left, i led back down and settled down for this one to stop for a shot. At 57 yards my shot dropped it on the spot, the V-max are so much better.

57yd.jpg

Then there was another one, pinged it 89 yards, i waited for it to stand up and "Thwack" number 10 in the bag.

89yd.jpg

IMG00229.jpg

I saw another 8 but they were off before i could get within range, but they will be there on the weekend, just hope the weather holds ???