Hammerite paint

harrycatcat1

I am about to repaint some steel garden gates that have not been done for at least 15 years and I was wondering if the PW massive had done such a job and what paint to use. Does Hammerite paint do what it says it does or is there an alternative 🤔 

I have rubbed them down but I suppose they ideally need sand blasting and spraying but that's not going to happen. 

Thanks 👍 

I used a wire brush in my electric drill and then 2 coats of the Aldi spray metal paint in black. 4 years on and they still look OK. Previously used black smooth Hammerite, but I did have a bit of rust to remove first, that lasted about 4 years. So far, the Aldi stuff is winning  !

I believe / was told the aldi metal paint is actually made by hammerite but re branded as there own (classic aldi) when ever I've painted metal bench ends etc I've wire brushed them back to bare metal rubbed them down with white spirit on a rag let it dry off & then applied the metal paint / hammerite.

12 minutes ago, Westley said:

I used a wire brush in my electric drill and then 2 coats of the Aldi spray metal paint in black. 4 years on and they still look OK. Previously used black smooth Hammerite, but I did have a bit of rust to remove first, that lasted about 4 years. So far, the Aldi stuff is winning  !

I have some black spray paint from Lidl but thought that I might waste a lot as it's bars are far apart. I will get a picture to show what I mean.

There are a number of alternatives to Hammerite and some (as well as Hammerite's own) are smooth. If correctly prepared I have never had any metal surface painted with Hammerite disappoint. For black metal though on fireplaces or fireplace cowlings I used black "bike pot paint" aka Granville Cylinder Black for painting motorcyle engines as it is heat resistant (but does AFAIR need some of that heat to cure). I also like the battleship grey "David's Zinc 182" paint. Given the future prediction for hot temperatures maybe that cylinder black may be an idea to consider? 

Edited by enfieldspares

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

It's not, it's synthetic. 

Personally I'd brush those gates with smoothrite, might take a bit longer, but you'll get more paint thickness  on than with aerosols. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-smooth-quick-dry-smooth-metal-paint-black-750ml/23091?tc=EB6&ds_kid=92700052136101401&ds_rl=1243321&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8uOWBhDXARIsAOxKJ2HOBOb6uY5T_4ZUUKqAeo-fsJElz082R9Ve9qWujoWlTSs5EpZ5eVgaAjzTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This 🤔🤔

19 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Its water based, the reviews are a bit odd as the first few pages give it 4 and 5 star rating but go to page 5 and it gets some very poor reviews with a lot of 1 star ratings, having said that I have used a lot of their “no nonsense” products and found most very good.

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

Its water based, the reviews are a bit odd as the first few pages give it 4 and 5 star rating but go to page 5 and it gets some very poor reviews with a lot of 1 star ratings, having said that I have used a lot of their “no nonsense” products and found most very good.

Ah thanks, I only looked at the first few pages 🙄🙄🙄🙄 

Hammerite it is then 👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I reckon hammerite is water based and I've never had a deal of luck with water based paint inside never mind outside.🤔🤔

You can get All-coat in both water and solvent based. Like I said, I use it on gutters and downspouts ( the water based one ) and it’s the dogs danglies. It’s trade quality as I only use trade quality paints. It’s what I do for a living. 👍

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I'd go for proper hammerite branded smoothrite personally. That's not water based as its flammable. 

This?

https://www.toolstation.com/hammerite-metal-paint-smooth/p83379?store=MB&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dm&pcrid=&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8uOWBhDXARIsAOxKJ2HMTi9qhuUpwMB3n_4c1JaFwDAm4n9YRjIzB3Uwfn802ipXIMnaPnYaAuBWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 minute ago, Scully said:

You can get All-coat in both water and solvent based. Like I said, I use it on gutters and downspouts ( the water based one ) and it’s the dogs danglies. It’s trade quality as I only use trade quality paints. It’s what I do for a living. 👍

Have you a link to it please 🙏 

27 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Give it a Google, there’s loads come up. 👍Your local trade centre should have the full range of Zinsser products.