Chaos at Dover again

Vince Green

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

A couple of neighbours came back - 2 persons plus car - last Saturday (30/7) via the tunnel - no delays at all.  very good journey.  No idea whose border force was operating, but they were straight on a train and straight off again in the UK.  Very pleased as they had been seeing all the news about delays ........ but none encountered.

Were they on the early morning return? 

Just re reading the ‘family’ group chat and there is mention of ‘bloody Dutch n Belgian trucks n cars’ blocking routes and unable to charge their car due to Dutch ‘non ev’ parking in the charging points to go for food at roadside restaurant. 

Don’t like making a statement based on a WhatsApp so I’m going to message her directly. 
Am always happy to admit and apologise if I have it wrong. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

They must have been on a 'middle of the day' I think as they said they had an early start in Brittany and were home here (SW Midlands) by evening.  No charging as they had gone in their 'classic' soft-top - a (petrol) Mercedes SL.

They may have just got lucky and your contacts unlucky.

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Just re reading the ‘family’ group chat and there is mention of ‘bloody Dutch n Belgian trucks n cars’ blocking routes and unable to charge their car due to Dutch ‘non ev’ parking in the charging points to go for food at roadside restaurant. 

Don’t like making a statement based on a WhatsApp so I’m going to message her directly. 
Am always happy to admit and apologise if I have it wrong. 

👍👍 

Received a reply from SIL and the account is different from what was in the ‘family chat’ so I retract my earlier comment. 

This is what she just wrote. 
‘We had the delay of getting to Folkestone because of Operation stack but then because we were flexi we were straight on the next train. 
Way back we had quite a long delay because a train had broken down and they had to get everyone off which then caused a back log. 
It is VERY busy at both terminals’

30 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

we were flexi

Yes, my neighbours went flexi and said it was very good as you can get an earlier shuttle if you have good journey and get there early you go straight on - equally - if you have a bad journey and get delayed, no worry about losing your space.

On 29/07/2022 at 16:03, Mungler said:

1 & 2 : No contradiction. The point being the EU is heading for a disaster of its own and Germany (the power house and mainstay of any amorphous EU stat or metric) is going to take the biggest hit. We can come back to this in say March and have a weigh up.

Just coming back to this after a busy weekend and another work trip.

On 29/07/2022 at 15:19, Mungler said:

1. The EU is not a country, 

2. Germany is of course the EU 

Err, OK

3. One of the criteria for us staying in was the adoption of the Euro. Indeed, if you are going to sell your soul and shackle yourself to a demanding economic union which requires total subservience, then it's not an unreasonable request but one which we have mercifully avoided in the quest for independence. We shall see the value of that independence rise in due course.

Sorry, but that's rubbish, there was no such clause / condition.

6. This is where I stop arguing with remainers. It's like arguing about police brutality with long serving police officers - they just won't have it. You can have the video of the disabled pensioner getting CS gas in the face and shot with a taser, but to a man, long served police officers will feel obliged to back the tribe. Trump was 100% right on the issue of Germany's energy independence. You can argue that he's got so much else wrong, but if you can't accept the plain truth that he was 100% right on the subject of German energy independence from Russia, then you lose all credibility. Indeed, let's try the other way - where was Trump wrong on the topic of Germany's energy independence from Russia?

By the law of averages, Trump had to get something right during his term. I'm not denying he was right on the energy independence issue, but that was blindingly obvious. I'm questioning why, on balance, anyone need apologise to him on the point.

Again, sorry, but it's nothing like the Police brutality topic, really random point. 

Kinda lost on the link between Trump and Remain too, but never mind.