Winchester

• 1 month later...

Hi gang.

After years of using winny subs i am fed up with the spent cases getting stuck in the chamber.

I have put new claws and spring in the bolt of my 452 and have cleaned the chamber about 10 times.

And they are still getting stuck.

They are also getting stuck in my new 457. So today i have bought some Eley, CCI and Norma subs

and see how i get on.  Will be testing the Eley's tomorrow CCI next week and the Norma's the week after.

Will let you know how i get on asap.

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

After years of using winny subs i am fed up with the spent cases getting stuck in the chamber.

I have put new claws and spring in the bolt of my 452 and have cleaned the chamber about 10 times.

And they are still getting stuck.

They are also getting stuck in my new 457. So today i have bought some Eley, CCI and Norma subs

and see how i get on.  Will be testing the Eley's tomorrow CCI next week and the Norma's the week after.

Will let you know how i get on asap.

Notice the same with the 17HMR 20gn Winchester rounds, lots of no fires, split cases/necks and starting to notice more failures to extract, trying to use them up on rabbits foxes and targets. Keeping the federal & hornady 17gns. No issues there.

16 minutes ago, RyanMc said:

Notice the same with the 17HMR 20gn Winchester rounds, lots of no fires, split cases/necks and starting to notice more failures to extract, trying to use them up on rabbits foxes and targets. Keeping the federal & hornady 17gns. No issues there.

Just take them back it’s not worth the risk or the hassle 

Hi gang.

Put a few different rounds through my 457 this morning. Eley not bad, Norma a spready but CCI were virtually spot on.

Was not the best conditions so will do it again next week. No stuck spent cases with any of them unlike the Winnies.

On 08/09/2022 at 21:43, Old farrier said:

Just take them back it’s not worth the risk or the hassle 

I haven't too many left, just going to use them up. Issue is the local RFD's would refuse to take them back etc. Switched to Hornady 17gn, was looking the 20gn, don't seem as explosive on impact as the polymer tipped 17gn offerings.

Must be a Winchester thing if different calibers' are affected.  I was under the assumption that the HMR were all made by CCI and different batches etc. made for the Hornady, Winchester, Federal etc. brands with different case stampings, but the Federal and Hornady I don't see case splits or any issues, however the Winchester is a dull tarnished case with splits before and 99% of time after firing, from multiple batches also.

20 minutes ago, RyanMc said:

I haven't too many left, just going to use them up. Issue is the local RFD's would refuse to take them back etc. Switched to Hornady 17gn, was looking the 20gn, don't seem as explosive on impact as the polymer tipped 17gn offerings.

Must be a Winchester thing if different calibers' are affected.  I was under the assumption that the HMR were all made by CCI and different batches etc. made for the Hornady, Winchester, Federal etc. brands with different case stampings, but the Federal and Hornady I don't see case splits or any issues, however the Winchester is a dull tarnished case with splits before and 99% of time after firing, from multiple batches also.

Fair enough but any batch that has the case splitting issue isn’t worth the risk especially after seeing a couple of them blown up 

Just my thoughts on it 

all the best 

of