Pigeons on rape stubble.

Down South

I was out on Tuesday checking the rape fields, still not cut but the farmer said the combine was due any moment. I waited a while and shot a couple of birds from the shade of a small stand of trees. Could have shot more but my old Franchi pigeon gun was misfiring and so I packed up and went home. Supper consisted of home grown veg and pigeon breast, lovely. Yesterday morning I was sat watching the much needed rain and listening to the distant thunder over north island(Portsmouth). Come lunch time things were brighter so contacted the farmer who said rape had been cut. My wife likes pigeon so did not object to me going out. Grabbed my ancient Beretta a box of cartridges and basic decoy kit ready for a couple of hours shooting. Got to the field and there are pigeons, great. Set up my hide in the middle of the field at the base of an electric pole that had a huge stand of burdock growing, this made a great back drop. Half a dozen half shells decoys in a pattern and I got ready. 2 down in the first 5 minutes, not testing but a good start. 4 more in the next half hour so I’m happy. Things go quiet and it’s down to the next door farmer collecting hay bails just over the hedge and in my firing line. I go for a walk to the far end of the field as that’s where the pigeons have moved to. Shot a couple more but lost them in the woods behind. The farmer has moved on so I get back in the hide and shoot a few more. I don’t use the 12 bores much any more but I ended up having shot 16 cartridges, 2 missed, 2 lost and 12 picked. Left and right on the last 2. Happy boy! I’m going back after the week end.

Very nice day out. Good work. 

I worked out that last week cost me £50 in fuel for 20 pigeons and 1 fox. Only 6 of the pigeons were picked and the rest left in standing crop. Of those picked only four were edible by the time I got home. I spent an hour on the stubbles and left with just 2 birds.

A further £30 on non productive night shooting. Called 3 does and saw one buck. 

22 hours ago, Down South said:

I was out on Tuesday checking the rape fields, still not cut but the farmer said the combine was due any moment. I waited a while and shot a couple of birds from the shade of a small stand of trees. Could have shot more but my old Franchi pigeon gun was misfiring and so I packed up and went home. Supper consisted of home grown veg and pigeon breast, lovely. Yesterday morning I was sat watching the much needed rain and listening to the distant thunder over north island(Portsmouth). Come lunch time things were brighter so contacted the farmer who said rape had been cut. My wife likes pigeon so did not object to me going out. Grabbed my ancient Beretta a box of cartridges and basic decoy kit ready for a couple of hours shooting. Got to the field and there are pigeons, great. Set up my hide in the middle of the field at the base of an electric pole that had a huge stand of burdock growing, this made a great back drop. Half a dozen half shells decoys in a pattern and I got ready. 2 down in the first 5 minutes, not testing but a good start. 4 more in the next half hour so I’m happy. Things go quiet and it’s down to the next door farmer collecting hay bails just over the hedge and in my firing line. I go for a walk to the far end of the field as that’s where the pigeons have moved to. Shot a couple more but lost them in the woods behind. The farmer has moved on so I get back in the hide and shoot a few more. I don’t use the 12 bores much any more but I ended up having shot 16 cartridges, 2 missed, 2 lost and 12 picked. Left and right on the last 2. Happy boy! I’m going back after the week end.

Nice report. 
12 for 16 shots is good going!

10 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Nice report. 
12 for 16 shots is good going!

I agree with you entirely , with age I find a right and left are less common than in the past , like a lot of decoyers I used to average around two out of three , now I blame the wind and just about everything else apart from myself , still , staying in it is more important now than averages .:lol: