Wildfowling/pigeon shooting

Hi guys, 

I’m based in Thurrock (Essex) and am looking for a shooting buddy. I’ve posted this before and have had some response but due to having our first kid and then getting a new phone and loosing all my numbers wasn’t able to pursue anything. 

I’m looking for someone who knows about wildfowling and is willing to teach me the ropes. I’m part of a wildfowling club and have access to a lot of foreshore but as I’ve only mainly done inland shooting I don’t want to venture out onto the foreshore on my own. They also give access to pigeon shooting. 

I can take guests with me for a daily fee that the club charge (which isn’t much), I’m happy contributing towards this if it means I get to learn and meet good people. The club does have a mentor scheme but I can never seem to arrange a suitable date/time. 

If anyone is interested drop me a line and we can discuss further over the phone. 

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by MWildfowler

7 minutes ago, MWildfowler said:

Thanks for your response @Pushandpull  Unfortunately doesn’t look like I’m going to get anyone taking up this offer. 

I am also happy taking someone out who has some knowledge but may not have access to any shooting areas. 

Your Wildfowling Club should have a mentoring system in place where you get taken out until you are proficient. I would push to get taken out, and it should be a member of that club as they will know the marshes.

What club are you a member of?

Edited by Penelope

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2022 at 15:39, MWildfowler said:

They do have one in place but it’s been difficult to get something sorted with my mentor so thought I’d try this route as well. And also it’ll be good having someone to go out on the pigeon days as well.  @Penelope

It would be better if you got more involved with your club and try to attend all the meetings , most clubs are one meeting a month so that shouldn't be to difficult and you would get a chance to talk to other members face to face and then you can them try and arrange a trip out together , have you got a gun dog ? , or if not will you be thinking in getting a puppy , the reason I asked is that the majority of clubs have gun dog training sessions throughout the Summer and you could attend these and get to know the members , again with the clubs clay shooting , duck rearing if they have a rearing marsh , helping out at country shows and anything else where you can get a chance to mix in with other members and you will soon find that doors begin to open .

Also Pushandpull mentioned about checking out the marshes or the coastal ground in the off season while the days are light and the weather is normally warm and sunny , this will give you some idea what you will be up against when the weather turn nasty and you want to get off a certain marsh in a hurry .

I joined a different club about 20 years ago , my situation was slightly different from yours as I joined as a full member and didn't need anyone to take me out , this was in April and as soon as I got the maps where all the various marshes are I set to work in visiting everyone where I intended to shoot and most of them were the most isolated as I knew the ones that were easy to get to would be well attended , some of the ones I looked at were a three to four mile return trip and you have to remember you will be going on in the morning in the pitch dark and the same if you were having a evening flight , one thing I done was marked on the map where the liggers were ( bridges over dykes ) and the gates , these you will want to know if the fog come down which it often do on low marshland.

I could really go on half the night but it it all down to you and how keen you are , I am not trying to put you off, but very few new members last in the club more than five years and a lot drop out before that , by asking for wildfowlers to take you out on a Pigeon forum is going to be hard, and with them living fairly close to you would be harder still , as I said , you can do a fair bit yourself and by showing keen you will get members willing to help you out .