Airgun decoying

Ultrastu

So today was the day to try and repeat the success we had last year on the pige over barley  stubble.  My boy and I set up an umbrella hide against a hedge with a strong wind at our backs  and decoys set between 20 -40 yds  a nice widespread of around 20 decoys and the trap was set .

I had my fac .22 ultra and my boy using his bsa .177 sub12  bullpup .

The birds came in instantly and they began to fall .the boy taking the first 2 cleanly to open the account .

The wind was either from  behind or the left (it switched about ) which made for some  tricky hold off shots .

We shot for 4 hours with the occasional light drizzle. The birds just kept coming often landing while others were being shot .a few got away and many didn't.  We even had a buzzard attack a pige 10 yds from the hide that flapped a bit after it was hit .

Bag at the end of the day was 55 birds and a huge grin on both our faces .

31 birds last year so a new record and the most I've ever shot with airgun alone .

Awesome awesome  day and I'm so proud of my boy .he conducted him self beautifully  his gun handling is perfect not once did I have to correct him on anything its set and built in him now , perfect .

To add  this field has seen a lot of shot gun pressure this week. Having been shot almost every other day by other guns who the farmer let's have a go (they turn up when the stubble arrives for the cream every year ) But today the airgun was king and was absolutely  the best tool for the job .I think I'd have been luck to break double figures if I'd have been out with the shotty even my hushpower .

Hmm interesting, I feel that pictures only add to the quality of a post maybe one of the mods can help or give a reason/explanation as to why you can post pics? Maybe you was costing them to much money in added gb traffic 🤣

16 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So today was the day to try and repeat the success we had last year on the pige over barley  stubble.  My boy and I set up an umbrella hide against a hedge with a strong wind at our backs  and decoys set between 20 -40 yds  a nice widespread of around 20 decoys and the trap was set .

I had my fac .22 ultra and my boy using his bsa .177 sub12  bullpup .

The birds came in instantly and they began to fall .the boy taking the first 2 cleanly to open the account .

The wind was either from  behind or the left (it switched about ) which made for some  tricky hold off shots .

We shot for 4 hours with the occasional light drizzle. The birds just kept coming often landing while others were being shot .a few got away and many didn't.  We even had a buzzard attack a pige 10 yds from the hide that flapped a bit after it was hit .

Bag at the end of the day was 55 birds and a huge grin on both our faces .

31 birds last year so a new record and the most I've ever shot with airgun alone .

Awesome awesome  day and I'm so proud of my boy .he conducted him self beautifully  his gun handling is perfect not once did I have to correct him on anything its set and built in him now , perfect .

Well done Dad…!!

Great experience for your boy.

16 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

It's the forum not allowing me .for some reason .I used to up load loads of pics using the add files button below .but it doesn't work now .the button is inert.

That's a real shame,  I'm sure you'll have taken a few pictures after such a memorable day as that.

@Zapp @Teal can one of you fellas look into this please?

Thank you. Yes very much it was amazing. 

We are just back from a bushcraft  camp up the woods with my nephew also (same age as my boy ) we cooked over a twig stove burgers and slept in hammocks under a tarp .we even stalked  the hedgerows looking for rabbits last night .

Good Times. 

It's great to see how happy boys can be in the woods with sticks and a good knife in hand . 

Popped out this afternoon  for 2.5 hours .with just the dog and. 25 cal . I set up over the same barley stubble right next to the standing wheat fields . Set out 8 of my secret weapon decoys ,and the birds started to come in . I love the .25 for its effectiveness  on pigeons .1 centre mass hit and they just drop stone dead . With a fair breeze blowing left to right I placed the deeks from 25 - 50 yds in a wide pattern  .wound the mag down to 8x and parrelaxed at 30 yds . As the birds drop in its just a case of aim bang on at any range out to 60 yds and they crumple .

Bag today was 50 head . With  still plenty of birds flying around .