Factory Reset

steve_b_wales

My desktop computer is old, but has developed many 'faults' and i would like to put it back to factory settings and re-install the programs I have now. I have the drivers for the printer and the scanner. I've looked at instructions on how to do this, but cannot get it done. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks.

Is the machine windows 10? If so, search for 'reset my pc' in the taskbar type here to search and then run through that. It should put it back to out of the box experience. So will ask you what country, what region and keyboard layout etc.

You need to use this so that it re installs windows and the manufacturers drivers ... Formatting a drive can wipe it of everything and if you do not have the manufacturers disc or USB key you have a flattened machine with no way of re installing 

Edited by ShootingEgg

Windows PCs start to deteriorate in performance and reliability from the day you start using them. Eventually they become pretty near unusable, such that the only solution is a clean reinstall from scratch. For this you will need a bootable CD/DVD or memory stick containing what's called the Windows ISO file for your version of windows and all your files, pictures, email accounts and history etc, IOW basically everything,  backed up.

This exercise is not for the inexperienced, especially when it comes to reloading drivers and setting up email and internet. I haven't done it for over 10 years now which means I'm well out of practice, so I'd be quite nervous even though I've done it dozens of times.

Mostly windows detects and install the drivers painlessly these days, depending on what version you have will alter how you go about a reinstall. Have you backed up everything you need I.e. photos or videos, important files etc? 

Recently upgraded from 10 to 11 when I changed some components and it took about 30 mins all in and zero effort. Google and YouTube will help probably better than this forum as you can watch someone do it. 

Try cc cleaner (it's free) and prevents me having to format for years at a time. If its slowing down to a snails pace then I'd hazard a guess and say you have limited ram and the hdd is full. Both very easy fixes and neither requires a format and reinstall. What specs are the machine?