33% increase....................

Walker570

.....on my normal order of fish and chips.  Our local shop has just changed hands and my wife called in for our standard order...small fish, a round of reconstituted roe(not fresh),  small chips...small mushy peas. Normally £9   Tonight £12............. now that is a rip off in my view. Any one had similar in their locals?       That is not each, we split it between us and adequate small evening meal.   Needless to say they just lost a customer but how many will also say ....forget it !!! and walk away.

When I do lates a few of us used a chippy up the road that put prices up &10.20 for quarter chicken and chips , one Saturday mrs was out ordered from local one same meal plus a chicken nugget and chips for my daughter they delivered for £13.50 , when I’m on early shift I can get cod and chips mushy peas for £3 

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The one pleasant story here was that my wife was short on cash but a big tattooed young man behind her in the queue leaned forward and insisted he cover the remainder for her.  

Blimey Nev, you'll have to up her allowance if you're going to get her begging on the streets!   :w00t:

Poor Lady.  :cool1:

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

.....on my normal order of fish and chips.  Our local shop has just changed hands and my wife called in for our standard order...small fish, a round of reconstituted roe(not fresh),  small chips...small mushy peas. Normally £9   Tonight £12............. now that is a rip off in my view. Any one had similar in their locals?       That is not each, we split it between us and adequate small evening meal.   Needless to say they just lost a customer but how many will also say ....forget it !!! and walk away

Business purchase price may require the new owner to charge certain amount to cover mortgage, rates, product and staff, whilst old owner had paid off mortgage and so had less outgoings.

Alternatively, the old owner may have given up as they were not making any money as they weren't charging enough to make a profit...?

Edited by Stonepark

Just have a think ...

Cost of growing spuds ...

Fuel ... rocketed. Fert .. anyone in the countryside knows it's gone through the roof. 

Frying oil ... most of it came from the Ukraine/Russia ... again, costs are through the roof.

How do they heat the oil ... electricity .. do I need to go on?

We all have a choice, but these folks costs are going through the roof, and they need covering .. it's not a charity.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey Nev, you'll have to up her allowance if you're going to get her begging on the streets!   

Poor Lady.  

I sent mine out on the game to get some extra cash .... she came back early in the morning with £40.50 - "Who gave you 50p ?" I asked , "All of them" she replied.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Nah! She wouldn’t be begging. I bet she just fluttered her eyelashes.

Your a very astute man.... certainly ahd me sorted 59yrs ago.  

Yes, I do appreciate cost have risen but by 33%  ?????   Certainly commercial fish and chips is now off the menu. Had a very nice sea bass with some chips and peas the other evening didn't cost half that.  You all have to remember I used to go in our local chippy and for three old pence could have a large bag of chips and topped with 'Bits' all the scrag ends of the fish. The biggest problem was smuggling them into the pictures on the other side of the road.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Retailers are trying it on, if we pay. . . . . .  it keeps going up, if we vote with our feet/wallet the price will drop

A poorly informed view.

The ugly truth is that raw material and conversion costs have pushed up massively, and manufacturers have had to pass on costs to keep their staff paid!

You'll not see prices drop back for years, and if Putin turns the gas off, it'll get a lot worse.

'Standard' size chips here (which is generous for one) is £2.50.

Regular sized cod, - £5.50, Regular sized plaice, lemon sole, seabream - £6.00, regular sized haddock, seabass - £6.50

So a basic cod and chips is £8.00.  I'm told it is very good and though I love fish & chips, it piles on the pounds, so it is a rare treat for me.

A Saturday regular for our lads was the chippy - however the eldest stopped having it about 2 years ago prefering to have homemade curry with us- leaving the youngest. Our local (Chinese owned but only done english chippy stuff) was £7.50 for his order plus a sausage for the dogs and having plenty of chips left over to put some on the side of the curry. Then earlier this year I rocked up to find them "closed" and moving out - and told me that new owners were taking over. They have taken over and the cost of the usual has now gone above £10 for a lot less chips and the quality has dived - they are Greek Cypriot owners now

On Friday, dropping the lad off at his job I tried the chippy by where he works - Large Chips and 3 large sausage - £4.70 - and the chips were large - more than enough for 1 and me and the misses had a chip butty each to do us until we had our tea later. And the chips were decent - not a soggy mush.

This chippy must be leased - due to it being part of the supermarket complex. but when the price is £4.70 compared to over £10 when you are getting less for the latter just shows it is people milking it

The Greek Cypriots thought I was having a laugh with them when I called the "Kleftis"

Edited by discobob

• 3 weeks later...

Fish and chips is a rare treat for us and if it is good quality then we grin and bear it whatever the cost is .

Last Saturday afternoon I was shooting with a friend of mine and not knowing what time I would be home I said to my wife ,don't bother cooking anything for tea as I will pop down to our local fish and chip shop and get whatever we fancy for tea .

Anyhow , I went down there a little after 7pm and ordered a middle piece of Cod for me and a Plaice fillet for my wife ( both well done ) and one regular portion of chips . the Cod was just over £7.00 , the Plaice fillet was nearly £7.00 and the regular chips was £2.20 , so the cost was around £16.50 .

Now it would be a very expensive tea for a large family , when my mother had six children and money was tight she could still afford fish and chips for all on a Friday night at least once or twice a month .

At one time we had four fish and chip shops in the village all making a living , the cheapest one I can remember was Cod and chips for a shilling , this was 9d the fish and 3d for the chips , the slightly better one where you always had to q up was 1/1d , the fish was still 9d but the chips were 4d.

Now it would cost you more than that for the carrier bag they come in :lol:

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Fish and chips is a rare treat for us and if it is good quality then we grin and bear it whatever the cost is .

I am much the same.  But a big point is that the UK used to have a large fishing fleet and huge stocks of cod in our waters.  Since we joined the original "Common Market" our fleet has declined and our waters much depleted in stocks - such that many complex restrictions and quotas are in place.  Basically - our decent reserves of plentiful white fish have been plundered and continue to be plundered.

Oils have replaced beef dripping once used (which was presumably cheap as a 'by product' of beef production) and spuds have also risen in price (and will go much higher if we don't get rain!)  Plus - rates on a shop have massively increased as have rules and regs with Health and Safety, Hygiene  rules etc. 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am much the same.  But a big point is that the UK used to have a large fishing fleet and huge stocks of cod in our waters.  Since we joined the original "Common Market" our fleet has declined and our waters much depleted in stocks - such that many complex restrictions and quotas are in place.  Basically - our decent reserves of plentiful white fish have been plundered and continue to be plundered.

Oils have replaced beef dripping once used (which was presumably cheap as a 'by product' of beef production) and spuds have also risen in price (and will go much higher if we don't get rain!)  Plus - rates on a shop have massively increased as have rules and regs with Health and Safety, Hygiene  rules etc. 

I agree with the above post 100% , I was born and breed in a fishing family with Yarmouth being a premier Herring port and Lowertoft just down the road had a large Trawler fleet that caught mainly White fish , Now we haven't had a Herring drifter come down from Scotland for years and I soubt we will never see another one , in fact we have got a drifter as a museum piece to show the visitors what it was once like working and living on one , we have also got a large museum called Time And Tide that is housed in one of the smoke houses.

At Lowertoft I don't think they have got a single old type Trawler left in operation and most of the old fish houses are closed down.

As they say , The times they are a changing .:good: 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I agree with the above post 100% , I was born and breed in a fishing family with Yarmouth being a premier Herring port and Lowertoft just down the road had a large Trawler fleet that caught mainly White fish , Now we haven't had a Herring drifter come down from Scotland for years and I soubt we will never see another one , in fact we have got a drifter as a museum piece to show the visitors what it was once like working and living on one , we have also got a large museum called Time And Tide that is housed in one of the smoke houses.

At Lowertoft I don't think they have got a single old type Trawler left in operation and most of the old fish houses are closed down.

As they say , The times they are a changing .:good: 

I worked on the trawlers in Lowestoft as a lad, there were a lot, along with the filleting/packing sheds, net makers and ship chandlery ...not to mention the pubs where we spent all our money... back to the op,  fish prices have almost doubled in the last year

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I worked on the trawlers in Lowestoft as a lad, there were a lot, along with the filleting/packing sheds, net makers and ship chandlery ...not to mention the pubs where we spent all our money... back to the op,  fish prices have almost doubled in the last year

Afternoon islandgun , hope you are keeping well .

It's a small world and I might had bought some fish off you when the boys got there fish allowance and they wanted a few bob for a pint , or two or three , four , five ,six and so on as those boys really liked there beer .

In the late 60s I worked for a building firm in Yarmouth who got the job of putting a sprinkler system in Tuttles , the big shop on the corner near the fish docks , the boys used to come in with there whicker bags and sell us whatever they had , we were happy and so were they , Good times back then .