33% increase....................

Walker570

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Afternoon islandgun , hope you are keeping well .

It's a small world and I might had bought some fish off you when the boys got there fish allowance and they wanted a few bob for a pint , or two or three , four , five ,six and so on as those boys really liked there beer .

In the late 60s I worked for a building firm in Yarmouth who got the job of putting a sprinkler system in Tuttles , the big shop on the corner near the fish docks , the boys used to come in with there whicker bags and sell us whatever they had , we were happy and so were they , Good times back then .

Hi mate Im fine if i can endure the heat, with a high temp this weekend  of 20c😄, I was there as a teen "decky learner" in the late 60s and remember the whicker bags and taking home a few plaice, but we stayed in the seamans mission so sold on the fish. the pubs were packed with men from all over the UK working on the boats, it made for an entertaining saturday night. we worked two weeks at sea and 2 1/2 days off. hope its not to hot down there for you and your taking plenty of liquid..👍 

Edited by islandgun

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Hi mate Im fine if i can endure the heat, with a high temp this weekend  of 20c😄, I was there as a teen "decky learner" in the late 60s and remember the whicker bags and taking home a few plaice, but we stayed in the seamans mission so sold on the fish. the pubs were packed with men from all over the UK working on the boats, it made for an entertaining saturday night. we worked two weeks at sea and 2 1/2 days off. hope its not to hot down there for you and your taking plenty of liquid..👍 

I know exactly where the sea men's mission is , or was as everything in Lowertoft keep on changing , from your early days it have changed beyond recognition and is now a fairly quiet place with many shops down the high street now closed .

Today have been about 27 degrees with a nice South / Easterly breeze coming in off the sea , not to bad at all , having said that I went a few miles inland to look for a few Pigeons and the spud gang had left off as the ground was to hard , I wandered round with my picker upper and got a carrier bag of spuds , the ones on the surface were that hot they didn't need cooking   😆

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I know exactly where the sea men's mission is , or was as everything in Lowertoft keep on changing , from your early days it have changed beyond recognition and is now a fairly quiet place with many shops down the high street now closed .

Today have been about 27 degrees with a nice South / Easterly breeze coming in off the sea , not to bad at all , having said that I went a few miles inland to look for a few Pigeons and the spud gang had left off as the ground was to hard , I wandered round with my picker upper and got a carrier bag of spuds , the ones on the surface were that hot they didn't need cooking   😆

ha ha thats a first, baked potato straight out the ground, they will be very small unless irrigated, and expensive, your plan to follow the machine at harvest will pay off this year for sure, its been damp here all summer, shame for the tourist's, no difference to me, looking forward to a few flights on the geese when it gets cold and maybe a rabbit soon, not doing much fishing but will be looking for a cod later on

22 minutes ago, islandgun said:

ha ha thats a first, baked potato straight out the ground, they will be very small unless irrigated, and expensive, your plan to follow the machine at harvest will pay off this year for sure, its been damp here all summer, shame for the tourist's, no difference to me, looking forward to a few flights on the geese when it gets cold and maybe a rabbit soon, not doing much fishing but will be looking for a cod later on

The irrigation have been going more or less non stop since they were planted , all the spud land is contracted out and at a guess I would say about 500 acres , these range from the early salad spuds to whatever they are taking up now ( small to a medium spud with a very thin skin ) there are about five fields of these and when these are taking up they come back at a later date to make a start on the main crop , when the lifting is all finished I normally have four or five 25 kilo bags full up , with buying a few other spuds to make a change the ones I pick would last me till the Spring , waste not want not is my moto , mind you if I was just going out there just to pick a few spuds the amount of fuel I use would most likely come to more than what the spuds are worth , I will never be a Sir Alan Sugar , but as you know I hate wasting anything .

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The irrigation have been going more or less non stop since they were planted , all the spud land is contracted out and at a guess I would say about 500 acres , these range from the early salad spuds to whatever they are taking up now ( small to a medium spud with a very thin skin ) there are about five fields of these and when these are taking up they come back at a later date to make a start on the main crop , when the lifting is all finished I normally have four or five 25 kilo bags full up , with buying a few other spuds to make a change the ones I pick would last me till the Spring , waste not want not is my moto , mind you if I was just going out there just to pick a few spuds the amount of fuel I use would most likely come to more than what the spuds are worth , I will never be a Sir Alan Sugar , but as you know I hate wasting anything .

Ha ha times really have changed, last time i worked on the potato harvest, they were hand picked by hard working ladies, tipped into big boxes [5cwt] which I loaded onto a trailer in between spinning out new rows. Some of those ladies wern't all that lady like😏...Good job with your gleanings a win win situation, some things have more value than money. 

Edited by islandgun

On 12/08/2022 at 10:25, JohnfromUK said:

I am much the same.  But a big point is that the UK used to have a large fishing fleet and huge stocks of cod in our waters.  Since we joined the original "Common Market" our fleet has declined and our waters much depleted in stocks - such that many complex restrictions and quotas are in place.  Basically - our decent reserves of plentiful white fish have been plundered and continue to be plundered.

Not only that ,there were the Grimsby and Hull trawlers, and other ports fishing Icelandic waters from which they were excluded when Iceland introduced a 200 mile lilit.

Blackpowder