Chain saw teeth sharpeners

yates

It's a skill you'll pick up with time and use. Watch a few YouTube clips, watching someone will teach you more than reading about it. 

Remember to make sure they are all the same length in tooth or you'll be cutting bananas. Use calipers if you need to. 1-2mm on one side more than the other will start to trap your blade 8'' into a log. 

That stihl sharpener above I seen a lot of guys use, and seems to do good results. I've never used one but the guys in the council did, but they like to leave the rakers on, I don't as I don't do a lot of borecuts 

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

It's a skill you'll pick up with time and use. Watch a few YouTube clips, watching someone will teach you more than reading about it. 

Remember to make sure they are all the same length in tooth or you'll be cutting bananas. Use calipers if you need to. 1-2mm on one side more than the other will start to trap your blade 8'' into a log. 

That stihl sharpener above I seen a lot of guys use, and seems to do good results. I've never used one but the guys in the council did, but they like to leave the rakers on, I don't as I don't do a lot of borecuts 

as strimmer says "its a skill you need to learn"..........i was taught by a woodsman to do it by hand.....and quite honestly you will never get it as sharp ......there is something very satisfying using a new file ...in a bent ashwood handle you have made...and watching and feeling it cut the teeth...and flipping the file back to break the burr...its also a darnsite quicker..........

have fun:good:

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

as strimmer says "its a skill you need to learn"..........i was taught by a woodsman to do it by hand.....and quite honestly you will never get it as sharp ......there is something very satisfying using a new file ...in a bent ashwood handle you have made...and watching and feeling it cut the teeth...and flipping the file back to break the burr...its also a darnsite quicker..........

have fun:good:

Oh yes , that smooth resistance of a new file is just so satisfying. 

Using a new , or freshly sharpened chain , is one of life's great pleasures for me.

I was a wood cutter for a good number of years before the harvesters moved in & put us all out of work,in one squad i worked with there was only one fella who used guides to sharpen his chain,ironically he was the one that had always cut the least amount of wood by the end of the day...it had nothing to do with his cutting capability it was purely because he wasted so much time sharpening his saw!,it doesn't take long to learn to do it quickly by hand with just a file,there's no need for any gadgets.

254 & 266XP Huskies were always my weapons of choice,that'll tell you how long it's been since i was a cutter!

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A simple man who enjoys simple pleasures!   

I'll hold my hands up to that . 

If you offered me a week in Vegas,  or a brand new chain for my saw . I'd choose the new chain every time.

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I'll hold my hands up to that . 

If you offered me a week in Vegas,  or a brand new chain for my saw . I'd choose the new chain every time.

there are chapels in Vegas that would marry you to your chainsaw...and it would be legal................go to vegas with your chainsaw.........win win i say

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

there are chapels in Vegas that would marry you to your chainsaw...and it would be legal................go to vegas with your chainsaw.........win win i say

Nah , the dishwasher would only moan 🤣 

• 2 weeks later...

little and often and youll never need more than a few passes on each tooth with the file unless you hit a nail  or burry it in the ground.  carful using the bench grinder sharpners becasue they seem like the best thing in the world but if you hold it on for more than a split second youll get the tooth too hot and loose the tempering and the chain will be dull after 2 or 3 mins cutting forever more.