working from home

davewh100

does anyone else work from home i only work four days mon/thur 9am till 4pm, but trying to workout a fair price the company should pay towards electric/gas it's not to bad at the moment no heating required but wen it starts to get colder, only a small office which is really my gunroom 10 by 8ft usein one laptop lights and a shredder wen needed as i use a card machine for taking payments, but trying to put together what is a reasonable sum from the company per month

You can claim a working from home allowance from HMRC. They alter your tax code so you have a greater tax free allowance. Normally works out as a few quid per month which is better than nothing. It's fairly easy to do via the HMRC website and can be backdated for as long as you've been working from home.

As for your employer, unless they have agreed to help out with the costs of running a home office then you'll be doing well do get a penny from them considering you'll be saving a significant amount per month on fuel costs.

If they have agreed then 20% of your energy, water, Internet and mobile phone bills wouldn't be too far off as long as your not a 8 person household, have 10 kids who take 3 showers a day each etc.. You may only be using the one room but you'll likely be heating (or cooling) the whole house, be cooking lunch using your own energy, flushing the loo an additional X amount of times using your own water, powering their equipment using your own energy and working using your own internet and mobile phone etc. All of which would have been supplied by the employer if you were working at company premises.

I have the HMRC - and look at the rest as the time and cost of commuting to the office - We go in 1 day at the moment but see that increasing in the future.

If, as I suspect, the OP could be on about "his" company and what to claim from there - if that is the case then speak with your accountant!!

Did you used to drive into work or commute in any form as you are now Saving that, so why should you get paid electric when you are saving on commute? And how can you even start to work out what's the kettle for you tea and coffee, gas for your fried egg sandwich, and what's laptop for work? Most employers will just laugh at the suggestion. I know people I work with said it and got told no. 

If you own your own company then that's for the accounts to fiddle  

Has the company already agreed to this?  I know where my employer would tell me to go if I tried to pull a stunt like that.

But let’s look at electricity first: a 60w laptop power supply running at full chat for 8hrs a day, 4 days week (which it won’t) will use 1.92 kWh, or £0.67 @ £0.35/kWh.  Add in occasional use of other devices and let’s be generous and call it £1/week.  So, that’s £4/month.

Heating, a little more complicated.  I think you’d need to read your gas meter on a day you worked from home and a day when you didn’t, at divide that up according to the m^2 of the rooms in the house.  As poorshot pointed out, you will be turning off the heating in other parts of the house won’t you, can’t expect the company to spring for heating the living room.

As for using the kettle, flushing the toilet, etc, well, think you need to start getting a spreadsheet together if you want to go that level of detail.

Frankly I’d just take the presumed massive saving on fuel from not commuting and call it a win.

52 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

What’s your company policy guidance?

not a clue to be honest I'm the service manager of the house hold and commercial coffee machine side, work from home since lockdown. did get a fuel allowance wen i was working from the office to and from work for my own vehicle, as said i can claim £6 a month from the tax, theres only me and the wife at home she works from her company

basically I'm working on zoom helping customers with issues selling new machine and taking payments for repaired unit's out of warranty and anything else ordering parts from Italy, 

got a meeting at 4.30 with the md hopefully it will get sorted 

I have worked from home since moving to Scotland six years ago. I do not charge the company as I am saving on what was a commute into my office in Oxford and if I had to go into the nearest office it would 140 mile round trip. I did though use the point in recent negotiations to vary my terms. The only additional cost would be the computer being on three days a week and in winter some heating cost but it has to bloody cold for me to put it on. As the wife is retired it would be on anyway🤬

HMRC currently say

• £6 a week from 6 April 2020 (for previous tax years the rate is £4 a week) - you will not need to keep evidence of your extra costs
  • the exact amount of extra costs you’ve incurred above the weekly amount - you’ll need evidence such as receipts, bills or contracts.

this seems a reasonable guide from what you say!

9 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Also worth noting that you claim tax relief on some specific office equipment purchased to allow you to work from home. You'll need to keep the receipts and register a claim on the HMRC website.

Unless of course the company provide the office equipment. When I was working the company provided a laptop, mobile phone, office extension phone via voip, broadband, multi function printer, large monitor, proper keyboard, large trackball mouse and a very nice comfy chair. They did not pay for heating, lighting etc.

I have worked from home since 1998, as has been mentioned already you can claim a little from HMRC.   Some bits are almost priceless, no commute stress, wear and tear on your vehicle, freedom to attend to personal stuff as needed.   My employer lets me expense internet costs to a max £40/month and my mobile to a max of £70/month - would be worth asking if you can get something like that. 

You need a degree of personal discipline, when one gets a really naff task then it's easy to find marginally more interesting things to do like emptying the dishwasher!  Equally you have to walk away from it when the work day ends - it is super tempting at times to chew a bit more of a task off.

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

I have worked from home since 1998, as has been mentioned already you can claim a little from HMRC.   Some bits are almost priceless, no commute stress, wear and tear on your vehicle, freedom to attend to personal stuff as needed.   My employer lets me expense internet costs to a max £40/month and my mobile to a max of £70/month - would be worth asking if you can get something like that. 

You need a degree of personal discipline, when one gets a really naff task then it's easy to find marginally more interesting things to do like emptying the dishwasher!  Equally you have to walk away from it when the work day ends - it is super tempting at times to chew a bit more of a task off.

thanks for the feedback, we agreed on £60 month i dont use my mobile as all calls are made through zoom which he all ready pays half of my internet bill, the company will be making a salary increase to all its staff in September as well so all is good now