Pigs not Boar.

tonker

Hi everyone.

Just as a point of interest, how many of us on here keep Pigs. If so, what breed and where do you keep them.

I keep British lops and let them run in an orchard that I have split into three. I have had, GOS, Saddleback, Large black, tamworth and OS&B. But I've settled on Lops because they have an exellent finished carcase quality for my needs. So what do you keep?

Hi Tonka I got 2 land race crossed saddle back last year reard them on my allotment for the table they killed out well and still enjoying them this year the lad I got them off had a stoke so made a bigger run and a bigger shed and took on a sow which was the previous pigs mother she was a I d when I bought her she had 8 little ones going to keep 2 for the table and sell the rest I think Iam going to keep her and may be a I her around Xmas 

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

No, they exfoliate on their own. They are very low maintenance animals, but also very slow growing - which means thankfully they go hand in hand with having another job.

Had a look at fb page... very interesting, will message via fb

On 27/07/2022 at 17:40, Walker570 said:

The last pigs I reared was about 1959 I had about ten which I fattened for pork. My Granddather alwqys reared at least two bacon pigs which we had killed and we processed at home. 

Yep and enjoyed the bladders as balls as long as they lasted.

On 27/07/2022 at 16:58, PeterHenry said:

I've got 30 something Mangalitza's (on top of a day job) 

https://m.facebook.com/100609078358343/

https://www.instagram.com/hoozehollowfarm/?hl=en

(Very slightly different media on each page if anyones intrested)

Your not far from me. I am in Haslington. 🤷‍♀️

13 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

Ah, not far at all. Do you beat / shoot anywhere locally? We have probably bumped into each other - or at least now some of the same pepole.

I have not gone shooting since lockdown. I used to shoot clays at Mickley Hall. My late husband was the one who was the game shooter. I need things to appear when you shout pull to have a chance of hitting them. 🤷‍♀️

Chitterlins.... remember those ?  The spelling varies according to location. Was my job to cut all the excess fat into small 1/4 inch cubes and then my grandmother would put them in the oven until they where crispy and light brown and she would pour the dripping off for cooking.  The layer of brown at the base of the basin was always sort after.

14 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I have not gone shooting since lockdown. I used to shoot clays at Mickley Hall. My late husband was the one who was the game shooter. I need things to appear when you shout pull to have a chance of hitting them. 🤷‍♀️

👍

If only the real ones appeared when you shout pull

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, hated it as I did most things pig wise. Not my choice today but will eat it to be polite.  I suppose I was almost force fed the stuff back then.

Bacon good but the rest? Aweful!

Thinking on, when  years later a butcher tried to set up a delivery round the bacon had a green sheen.......😀

I made some faggots from the plucks of twelve of ours, couldn't believe how much mix there was. mixed it up by the trug full, was cooking for bloody hours. 

No body has mentioned thr trotters or Bathchaps yet. We had them quite often. And the smell when cooking up the ears for the dogs,

Edited by tonker

We raise pigs for the table / freezer every year. At the moment we have large whites but have had Middle Whites, Cornish Black, Tamworths, GOS, Saddlebacks and a mixture of the above to name a few. We have been keeping them for about 20 years and love the whole process apart from the trip to the abattoir which I never enjoy but is all part of the journey.

TIP:  to anyone keeping them in a field, for the last week feed them in the trailer! if they don't go in they go hungry, don't feel sorry for them or else when your time comes for abbattoir slot you'll still be trying to load them.

Or let me know when you're loading and I'll sell tickets to watch😁😂

Edited by tonker