charging for children at the game fair?

quentyn

what is this new habit of charging for kids at shows ? last time we went to the game fair we showed our BASC passes and we were in 

now you need to register in advance, whilst registering i noticed that despite my wife and I being BASC members I need to pay £10 each for the kids 

when you add to the fact that its going to be £50's worth of diesel adding in an extra £20 for 2 small kids who dont want to be there and will drive the majority of the spends at the food stalls and well i just cant be bothered 

i think i will give it a miss this year, its too far and to have to pay £20 for my kids to get in is just silly 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get a real Game Fair is rare these days there mostly Country Fairs selling Clothes , Garden Furniture plants and Paintings etc At Scone theres no terrier show or lurchers but they still do terrier racing in ring and as well as your entrance fee you got to pay something like £7 to park in a field  no wonder more and more folk buy stuff off the internet its a expensive day out at a show these days 

This year at Kelmarsh I paid £10.50 for a cheeseburger and my mate was relieved of £12 in exchange for a pitta bread with a bit of dribbly stuff and a couple of chunks of meat in it.  Then I paid £6 for a cup of coffee.  I didn't dare go to the beer tent.

I've heard so many people say they're done with game fairs because they become more of a rip-off every year.

Do the organisers of these things not realise they are the cause of their own impending downfall?!

7 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

This year at Kelmarsh I paid £10.50 for a cheeseburger and my mate was relieved of £12 in exchange for a pitta bread with a bit of dribbly stuff and a couple of chunks of meat in it.  Then I paid £6 for a cup of coffee.  I didn't dare go to the beer tent.

I've heard so many people say they're done with game fairs because they become more of a rip-off every year.

Do the organisers of these things not realise they are the cause of their own impending downfall?!

Oh young Jim, I strongly suspect the people who run these poor copies of the once great Game Fairs are quite aware of how many old stalwarts will not go.

BUT, they do seem to have an endless supply of new "country" types ready to waste their hard earned on going along.

I will be at the Game fair this weekend, but I am working and will be paid, fed and housed.

Only way I go these days is if someone else is paying.

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh young Jim, I strongly suspect the people who run these poor copies of the once great Game Fairs are quite aware of how many old stalwarts will not go.

BUT, they do seem to have an endless supply of new "country" types ready to waste their hard earned on going along.

I will be at the Game fair this weekend, but I am working and will be paid, fed and housed.

Gissa job then!

Enjoy :)

The thing is it's not the entry cost, it's the extortionate prices you pay for everything else once you're in there.  The organisers realise that they can charge "reasonable" ticket prices but the stall holders must be charged a fortune for their pitch, thus shoe-horning the cash into the organisers' pockets via the middle man.

It's just not a business model that appeals to me; I doubt I'll go to any more if this greed continues.

Edited by Jim Neal

On 29/07/2022 at 01:45, Jim Neal said:

I people incapable of making a sandwich or two and taking it with them with can of juice to these events?  No one to blame but themselves if they find they have to pay high prices inside the gates.

On 29/07/2022 at 00:45, Jim Neal said:

Kelmarsh? Goodness is that still going? I went once and didn't have to pay to get in and still though it a poor value admission price.

On 29/07/2022 at 08:33, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Tightchoke,where are you working,would like to pop in and thank you for a part you sent me for my semi auto shotgun,saved its life.Regards A.R.P.

18 hours ago, scolopax said:

I people incapable of making a sandwich or two and taking it with them with can of juice to these events?  No one to blame but themselves if they find they have to pay high prices inside the gates.

Ah I see the error of my ways now.... I should blame myself for the extortionate money charged for EVERYTHING inside a game fair!  I understand.... I decided the price of burgers was going to be over £10.  I decided a cup of coffee was going to cost more than a pint down my local. 

That's my fault!  Gotcha....

I feel guilty now because I didn't pay anyone for the privilege of taking a pee in a plastic urinal.

You've missed the point completely.  The organisers of these shows are getting more and more greedy as each year passes.  I hope they eventually become the cause of their own downfall.

Bunch of people walking around in full tweed / full shooting gear in the peak of summer, their gear having never been used for a days shooting in their lives … walking around with their Mrs in a silly outfit with a fur scarf and cowboy boots / hat … with a HPR with the latest fashionable gundog name… unable to let it off the lead cos it would never be seen again …

No decent country exhibitions as they pander to the PC types and no chance of any decent deals or bargains to be had, as the stands cost so much everyone there has to charge stupid prices just to try and turn a profit. 

Lots of small time people have been pushed out and every stall is selling the same ****, clothes and overpriced trash. 

Add to that the do as they likey’s out to steal equipment and dogs at every opportunity (one of the competitors dogs was stolen pretty much straight away) I don’t see why people bother going.

17 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Bunch of people walking around in full tweed / full shooting gear in the peak of summer, their gear having never been used for a days shooting in their lives … walking around with their Mrs in a silly outfit with a fur scarf and cowboy boots / hat … with a HPR with the latest fashionable gundog name… unable to let it off the lead cos it would never be seen again …

No decent country exhibitions as they pander to the PC types and no chance of any decent deals or bargains to be had, as the stands cost so much everyone there has to charge stupid prices just to try and turn a profit. 

Lots of small time people have been pushed out and every stall is selling the same ****, clothes and overpriced trash. 

Add to that the do as they likey’s out to steal equipment and dogs at every opportunity (one of the competitors dogs was stolen pretty much straight away) I don’t see why people bother going.

Well said Lloyd.

I think all it would take is one or two organisers to put the bigger picture in front of their profit margins for once, and maybe the balance might be reset somewhat.... although this is very idealistic thinking, it has just a tiny outside chance....

On 30/07/2022 at 00:11, Jim Neal said:

Gissa job then!

Enjoy :)

The thing is it's not the entry cost, it's the extortionate prices you pay for everything else once you're in there.  The organisers realise that they can charge "reasonable" ticket prices but the stall holders must be charged a fortune for their pitch, thus shoe-horning the cash into the organisers' pockets via the middle man.

It's just not a business model that appeals to me; I doubt I'll go to any more if this greed continues.

Yes I completely agree, we all chip in and our Leader prepares a proper breakfast, sorts out a packed lunch for during the day when you are refereeing that gets delivered to the stand. Then a cracking evening meal all with water or soft drinks. I think I chipped in a tenner.

On 30/07/2022 at 11:07, A.R.P. said:

Tightchoke,where are you working,would like to pop in and thank you for a part you sent me for my semi auto shotgun,saved its life.Regards A.R.P.

I was refereeing on the Woodcock Flurry with its Woodcock on STEROIDS targets, sorry I haven't seen this till this morning.

I got home just before 9 last night. unloaded the car and went to bed, slept like a king!

It was very worthwhile as it turned out, dropped a gun case off I had relined, to a RFD the owner was there, paid in full and bought another case and paid there and then. Managed to get some .303 hunting ammunition at a good price, came home with a lot more money than I went with. Met up with my mates good day all round. I take the tweed brigade with a pinch of salt, I know  it’s not how it use to be but that’s how it is. It a opportunity to look at kit before you buy. As it has been said before, if you don’t like the cost of food and drink  take your own, it’s not rocket science. Hopefully I will go next year.

I wasn’t going to pass comment on this thread, as my progeny is still invitro, so apparently he’ll get in free for the next 7 years.  But as we appear to have deviated far from the OP’s point:

I’m not sure what the some people are expecting.  I can’t remember food+drink being anything other than rip-off prices at any exhibition I’ve attended, ever.  Either take a packed lunch or be prepared for a wallet-scraping.  It really was ever thus.  I paid £9 for a pint of ‘Old Hooky’ and a can of 7up.  Rip off, but was subsequently invited for a complimentary drink at the Premier Guns stand, so I think I broke even.

13 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

think all it would take is one or two organisers to put the bigger picture in front of their profit margins for once, and maybe the balance might be reset somewhat.... although this is very idealistic thinking, it has just a tiny outside chance....

Seeing the bigger picture?  They’re in business to make money, not pursue some sort of agenda.  Whilst I would agree their pricing has long since exceeded reasonable, they charge what the market will stand.  I wouldn’t go if I didn’t get entry as part of BASC membership, £35 is just insane.

I think the 'bigger picture' a lot of people on here are missing is that this is also a trade (B2B) event.  As far as I'm aware, there isn't a trade-only event in this country, so a lot of deals and general industry catching up happens after the doors close, and the traders get the BBQs and booze out.  Doubtless someone will be along shortly to make accusations of monopolistic dealings/pricing fixing.

On 31/07/2022 at 07:43, Lloyd90 said:

Bunch of people walking around in full tweed / full shooting gear in the peak of summer, their gear having never been used for a days shooting in their lives … walking around with their Mrs in a silly outfit with a fur scarf and cowboy boots / hat

And what’s wrong with that, anyway?  If we’re going to get all sociological, I wonder if the ‘tribe’ of country girls only recently developed a distinct identity, and therefore a massive market?  Or are you just annoyed you didn't buy shares in the likes of Holland Cooper or Fairfax and Favor a few years ago?  I know I am!

Either way, peacocks will preen themselves, and can safely be ignored.  They neither added to, nor detracted from, the show for me. 

5 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I wasn’t going to pass comment on this thread, as my progeny is still invitro, so apparently he’ll get in free for the next 7 years.  But as we appear to have deviated far from the OP’s point:

I’m not sure what the some people are expecting.  I can’t remember food+drink being anything other than rip-off prices at any exhibition I’ve attended, ever.  Either take a packed lunch or be prepared for a wallet-scraping.  It really was ever thus.  I paid £9 for a pint of ‘Old Hooky’ and a can of 7up.  Rip off, but was subsequently invited for a complimentary drink at the Premier Guns stand, so I think I broke even.

Seeing the bigger picture?  They’re in business to make money, not pursue some sort of agenda.  Whilst I would agree their pricing has long since exceeded reasonable, they charge what the market will stand.  I wouldn’t go if I didn’t get entry as part of BASC membership, £35 is just insane.

I think the 'bigger picture' a lot of people on here are missing is that this is also a trade (B2B) event.  As far as I'm aware, there isn't a trade-only event in this country, so a lot of deals and general industry catching up happens after the doors close, and the traders get the BBQs and booze out.  Doubtless someone will be along shortly to make accusations of monopolistic dealings/pricing fixing.

And what’s wrong with that, anyway?  If we’re going to get all sociological, I wonder if the ‘tribe’ of country girls only recently developed a distinct identity, and therefore a massive market?  Or are you just annoyed you didn't buy shares in the likes of Holland Cooper or Fairfax and Favor a few years ago?  I know I am!

Either way, peacocks will preen themselves, and can safely be ignored.  They neither added to, nor detracted from, the show for me. 

👍

On 01/08/2022 at 13:23, udderlyoffroad said:

Yeah of course it's always been a bit steep, but we're talking in the ball park of £5 to £6 for something like a burger, £4 or so a pint in the beer tent which is a bit ouchy but I can stand...... not DOUBLE that!  Something is utterly wrong and rotten when you have to pay the sort of prices they were charging at the show i went to.

I'm going to take issue with the packed lunch fan club now.  Some people have to travel a fair few hours to events.  Imagine making yourself a cheese sandwich at 9pm on Friday night, sticking it in the fridge, taking it out at 6 the following morning, driving 3 or 4 hours to a game fair, then carting said sandwich plus snacks around until you get so naffed off with carrying the damned stuff that you eat it at 11 just so you don't have to carry it around any more.  What a delightful cheese sandwich, all sweaty, curled up at the edges, and the bread now with the texture of sandpaper.  How scrumptious.

Your banana has gone black and squishy and your apple bruised from bouncing off your thermos flask; crisps are all crushed in their packet and your mars bar is now a chocolate and caramel smoothie because of the heat.  Your water is hot tap temperature.  You've become more than a little peeved at carrying half your fridge round a field for miles on end.

Oh but I should pop it all in a cool box with some ice packs?  OK great but now I need to take my pack horse round with me as well then if I don't want arm ache and the damned inconvenience of carrying a bulky heavy box/bag when I'd really like my hands free and no arm ache all day.

Aha!  I should leave it in the car and go back for it should I?  Okay, I'll, waste 90 precious minutes of my day trudging back and forth to get my now baked cheese sandpaper melt from the furnace car, having almost died of hunger and thirst because I'm NOT going to pay for anything at this fair.  It's much more pleasant and convenient to be able to enjoy the food and drink available without being ripped off.

Catering at events shouldn't be an act of extortion and robbery.  I've always been of the opinion that by buying from the stands and stalls at an event you're supporting not only the event but also the most likely self-employed, local person who is running the stall.  Now it seems that most of your money is just going into the organiser's pockets.

The "bigger picture" that I wish the organisers of country fairs could see is that these events shouldn't be a fully focused money-printing business venture for the organiser.  The whole ethos is supposedly bringing together like-minded folk with interests in country pursuits and lifestyle.   Obviously there are costs attached to hosting these events; staffing, infrastructure, toilets, insurance, admin, advertising.... but if anyone thinks for a minute that the money charged just allows the host to scrape through past their break-even point, then they must be utterly deluded.

They're taking the mickey.

Edited by Jim Neal

When we did go we walked round the game fair till the family had , had enough came out lit a disposable barbecue cooked or burgers sausages had  multipack of crisps and crate of juice cans and sat eating watching all the queues  from the traffic leaving when it had all died down we drove straight out 

On 02/08/2022 at 23:25, Jim Neal said:

£4 or so a pint in the beer tent which is a bit ouchy but I can stand.....

How much is the price of a pint in your local?  You're way closer to the London orbit than we are, so I can imagine you're at £5/pint easy...

I'm going to take issue with the packed lunch fan club now.  Some people have to travel a fair few hours to events.  Imagine making yourself a cheese sandwich at 9pm on Friday night, sticking it in the fridge, taking it out at 6 the following morning, driving 3 or 4 hours to a game fair, then carting said sandwich plus snacks around until you get so naffed off with carrying the damned stuff that you eat it at 11 just so you don't have to carry it around any more.  What a delightful cheese sandwich, all sweaty, curled up at the edges, and the bread now with the texture of sandpaper.  How scrumptious.

Your banana has gone black and squishy and your apple bruised from bouncing off your thermos flask; crisps are all crushed in their packet and your mars bar is now a chocolate and caramel smoothie because of the heat.  Your water is hot tap temperature.  You've become more than a little peeved at carrying half your fridge round a field for miles on end.

Oh but I should pop it all in a cool box with some ice packs?  OK great but now I need to take my pack horse round with me as well then if I don't want arm ache and the damned inconvenience of carrying a bulky heavy box/bag when I'd really like my hands free and no arm ache all day.

Aha!  I should leave it in the car and go back for it should I?  Okay, I'll, waste 90 precious minutes of my day trudging back and forth to get my now baked cheese sandpaper melt from the furnace car, having almost died of hunger and thirst because I'm NOT going to pay for anything at this fair.  It's much more pleasant and convenient to be able to enjoy the food and drink available without being ripped off.

People have been carting packed lunches around with them since time immemorial, and if you're still making school-boy errors like letting bannas get bruised or curly sandwiches...What do you do if you go out for the day shooting?  Worse, if you're letting yourself get dehydrated and h-angry, frankly you're not much of a boy scout either.  Any fool can be uncomfortable, as they say in the military.

I see this a lot at work parties on our DIY syndicate, and it seems to be a generational thing.  The old boys, who really should know better, get dehydrated and grumpy because they turn up seemingly completely unprepared.  Meanwhile, the allegedly moaning and useless millennials and gen-z's, turn up ready to work, with sufficient food and water to cover the day's activities, not to mention things like work gloves and a hat.

The "bigger picture" that I wish the organisers of country fairs could see is that these events shouldn't be a fully focused money-printing business venture for the organiser.  The whole ethos is supposedly bringing together like-minded folk with interests in country pursuits and lifestyle.   Obviously there are costs attached to hosting these events; staffing, infrastructure, toilets, insurance, admin, advertising.... but if anyone thinks for a minute that the money charged just allows the host to scrape through past their break-even point, then they must be utterly deluded.

The ethos is to make a profit.  That's it.

If you want to put together a show on a co-operative/non-profit basis, then do it, but I'd suggest there's a reason such a show doesn't exist.  Fine if you're running a village fete, but I don't think it scales well.

Once again, I agree with you that the prices are extortionate, but I really don't see how it can be so bad to mitigate for it, by having some nosebag with you.

Yeah of course it's always been a bit steep, but we're talking in the ball park of £5 to £6 for something like a burger, £4 or so a pint in the beer tent which is a bit ouchy but I can stand...... not DOUBLE that!  Something is utterly wrong and rotten when you have to pay the sort of prices they were charging at the show i went to.

They're taking the mickey.

I was at Royal Highland Show (4 days) and talking to food stalls next to us, they were complaining/estimating it was Saturday lunchtime before they started making a profit, for the Thurs, Fri and Sat morning they were simply working to pay the pitch fees and they were charging £8 a burger, no different to prices at Scone palace game fair where they also were in attendance.

I stood the game fair back in 2009 at Belvoir, selling safaris. I had the smallest standard pitch, 3m x 10m. Thirteen years ago that cost £1500 plus £250 for electric hook up to run my promotional video. So £1750. I shudder to think what the traders were paying with larger pitches many multiples of my tiny patch.