charging for children at the game fair?

quentyn

On 02/08/2022 at 23:25, Jim Neal said:

Yeah of course it's always been a bit steep, but we're talking in the ball park of £5 to £6 for something like a burger, £4 or so a pint in the beer tent which is a bit ouchy but I can stand...... not DOUBLE that!  Something is utterly wrong and rotten when you have to pay the sort of prices they were charging at the show i went to.

I'm going to take issue with the packed lunch fan club now.  Some people have to travel a fair few hours to events.  Imagine making yourself a cheese sandwich at 9pm on Friday night, sticking it in the fridge, taking it out at 6 the following morning, driving 3 or 4 hours to a game fair, then carting said sandwich plus snacks around until you get so naffed off with carrying the damned stuff that you eat it at 11 just so you don't have to carry it around any more.  What a delightful cheese sandwich, all sweaty, curled up at the edges, and the bread now with the texture of sandpaper.  How scrumptious.

Your banana has gone black and squishy and your apple bruised from bouncing off your thermos flask; crisps are all crushed in their packet and your mars bar is now a chocolate and caramel smoothie because of the heat.  Your water is hot tap temperature.  You've become more than a little peeved at carrying half your fridge round a field for miles on end.

Oh but I should pop it all in a cool box with some ice packs?  OK great but now I need to take my pack horse round with me as well then if I don't want arm ache and the damned inconvenience of carrying a bulky heavy box/bag when I'd really like my hands free and no arm ache all day.

Aha!  I should leave it in the car and go back for it should I?  Okay, I'll, waste 90 precious minutes of my day trudging back and forth to get my now baked cheese sandpaper melt from the furnace car, having almost died of hunger and thirst because I'm NOT going to pay for anything at this fair.  It's much more pleasant and convenient to be able to enjoy the food and drink available without being ripped off.

Catering at events shouldn't be an act of extortion and robbery.  I've always been of the opinion that by buying from the stands and stalls at an event you're supporting not only the event but also the most likely self-employed, local person who is running the stall.  Now it seems that most of your money is just going into the organiser's pockets.

The "bigger picture" that I wish the organisers of country fairs could see is that these events shouldn't be a fully focused money-printing business venture for the organiser.  The whole ethos is supposedly bringing together like-minded folk with interests in country pursuits and lifestyle.   Obviously there are costs attached to hosting these events; staffing, infrastructure, toilets, insurance, admin, advertising.... but if anyone thinks for a minute that the money charged just allows the host to scrape through past their break-even point, then they must be utterly deluded.

They're taking the mickey.

Hmm, how much do you reckon it costs to hire the marquee for what three days - including delivery, erection, dismantle and return to base, the pitch space from the show organisers, transport the beer, bottles and glasses, pay the staff - and insurance perhaps, allowing all involved including the farmer to make a profit for making the beer available in a field, gambling there isn't a storm that minimises attendance of the paying public.

I used to do that sort of thing in a different industry - the 'shows' are very expensive when all costs have been accounted for.

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

How much is the price of a pint in your local?  You're way closer to the London orbit than we are, so I can imagine you're at £5/pint easy...

Average £3.60.  Not far from the big smoke but far enough....

What do you do if you go out for the day shooting? 

Chuck my lunch bag in the car or gun bus and not have to carry it round for hours/miles on end!  Plus on syndicate days we get fed and watered at the pub at the end of the day so no need to bring half the fridge with me.

The ethos is to make a profit.  That's it.

This is entirely my point!  It's greed, pure and simple.

12 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Hmm, how much do you reckon it costs to hire the marquee for what three days - including delivery, erection, dismantle and return to base, the pitch space from the show organisers, transport the beer, bottles and glasses, pay the staff - and insurance perhaps, allowing all involved including the farmer to make a profit for making the beer available in a field, gambling there isn't a storm that minimises attendance of the paying public.

I used to do that sort of thing in a different industry - the 'shows' are very expensive when all costs have been accounted for.

As I said Dave I know there's a lot of costs involved for the organisers but once again does anyone think they're just scraping past break-even point?  I very much doubt it.

It would be interesting if anyone who organises a country show could divulge some figures, but I bet they wouldn't be all that willing....

Well it was my first and last time, the whole thing is a monumental rip off, I helped a friend on a stall selling thermal kit, the pitch which was about 10metres by 15 metres was £4000 for the pitch £396 for 2 x 13 amp electrical supplies, your not allowed to use your own generator  and the ultra **** wifi @500kb/sec was £180, the phone signal is **** unless you had vodafone, Someone somewhere is making a fortune, Security was absolutely useless and we had a tannoy speaker right next to us with some irritating person who just kept rambling, so if you were trying to talk to someone they couldn't hear you, I had several people just ****** off mid sentence because it was too loud.

and to top it all there were ****** robbing everywhere.

Just now, Kev1gun said:

Nomadic caravan dwellers

i go for the simple reason its a day out ,  The prices are the prices becasue they must cover the cost of a stand which is dictated by the expected turnover and footfall.  people grumble but every game fair ive been too is always rammed everyones carrying bags of bought gear and theirs always queues for the food.   I get up a bit earlier, hit a mcdonalds on the way for a breakfast and a coffee,  basc membership gets me in for nowt in most cases,  have a wander about get my hands on the stuff ive had my eye on for a while see what its like in the flesh,  head back to home, then i go online and order the stuff ive seen and decided i want at a much better price.

On 27/07/2022 at 18:02, quentyn said:

what is this new habit of charging for kids at shows ? last time we went to the game fair we showed our BASC passes and we were in 

now you need to register in advance, whilst registering i noticed that despite my wife and I being BASC members I need to pay £10 each for the kids 

when you add to the fact that its going to be £50's worth of diesel adding in an extra £20 for 2 small kids who dont want to be there and will drive the majority of the spends at the food stalls and well i just cant be bothered 

i think i will give it a miss this year, its too far and to have to pay £20 for my kids to get in is just silly 

best laugh i ve had while i was eating my corn flakes. 😁 welcome to real world

Maybe but if they wised up and dropped the prices more folk would go threw the gates but common sense isnt as common as you would think  , now a lot of my mates are saying im not going to such and such time you add up fuel , entry,  parking and food for a family your at least £100 down before you buy stuff 

I used to go to shows like the midlands trek round the stalls seeing where i could get the best deals before going back now its all internet shopping 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2022 at 13:02, Walker570 said:

I doubt it but back to the original subject....why shouldn't people pay for their children to go in?    I have to pay for my wife.

At Kempton, we don't charge for Ladies or accompanied children. Although some ladies insist on donating the entry fee to our various charities.

On 29/07/2022 at 00:45, Jim Neal said:

This year at Kelmarsh I paid £10.50 for a cheeseburger and my mate was relieved of £12 in exchange for a pitta bread with a bit of dribbly stuff and a couple of chunks of meat in it.  Then I paid £6 for a cup of coffee.  I didn't dare go to the beer tent.

I've heard so many people say they're done with game fairs because they become more of a rip-off every year.

Do the organisers of these things not realise they are the cause of their own impending downfall?!

I cannot believe you paid it, never pay up front. It would not be the first time I have handed food back to a seller and told them where to shove it.

6 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I cannot believe you paid it, never pay up front. It would not be the first time I have handed food back to a seller and told them where to shove it.

When you're hungry and there isn't any better option - indeed, you've worked out this is the BEST option - what do you do?

After you've handed back your £10.50 cheeseburger where do you go?  The £12 pitta bread stall?  The £15 fish and chips stall?  The "only" £8 but it's gone in two mouthfuls and you're still hungry stall?

Reality check:  You won't be served your food until you've handed over the dosh, so your philosophy of never paying up front doesn't really apply in this scenario.  You can quite clearly see what people are walking away with in their hands so it's up to you whether you queue up and buy it.

6 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Why do most have a beer tent the prices are a rip off and as most have travelled by car they are encouraging Drink Driving first thing i would scrap  

For each car that arrives I'd guess on average there's at least one other drinking age passenger on board. 

2 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

When you're hungry and there isn't any better option - indeed, you've worked out this is the BEST option - what do you do?

After you've handed back your £10.50 cheeseburger where do you go?  The £12 pitta bread stall?  The £15 fish and chips stall?  The "only" £8 but it's gone in two mouthfuls and you're still hungry stall?

Reality check:  You won't be served your food until you've handed over the dosh, so your philosophy of never paying up front doesn't really apply in this scenario.  You can quite clearly see what people are walking away with in their hands so it's up to you whether you queue up and buy it.

For each car that arrives I'd guess on average there's at least one other drinking age passenger on board. 

It's down to you really, you are under no obligation to pay up front and you are within your rights to pay whatever you consider a fair price once you have the food in your hand, you can also hand it back and ask for a refund, reality check - you have rights by law. As for where do you go, bring food with you. As I have already said, it would not be the first time I have refused to pay for food once I have seen it.

Hello, I think the days of cheap tickets to game fairs or most out door activity show is in the past, even a local country show in the vale this Sunday and Monday weekend , Uffington White Horse Show, is £25 per adult £4 for children over 4, so a mum and dad, 2 children for just under £60, back in the 1970s 1980s 1990s the game fair was a must go to day, food was good and a reasonable price, these days out are long gone for many folk , oh there's a clay pigeon shoot at Uffington this year, 

It's the make a profit part of it that means we're losing our country shows. It's market forces. Country people (from this thread) don't want to pay for entry, pay for food or go shopping in person. 

Now the Fenland Show has gone we have the Cambridge Country Show. There's barely any country in there. Horses are allowed, and maybe clever dogs. Not gun dogs though. I had a nice chat with the Fenland Wildfowlers, who were about the only truly country thing there. No shooting. No fishing. Shopping - nothing country though - eating, fairground rides, motorbike displays, random vintage vehicles, a bit of living history, a few bird of prey and heavy horse displays. The nadir was the fake fighting in a boxing ring. No wonder it's a fraction of its size. Even the  ferret rescue people made no mention of working ferrets. 

We're stuck now until it top over into nostalgia and it becomes a heritage and education.effort. Then different funding appears and we can go around again. 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

COUNTRY Shows are NOT for COUNTRY People any more!   :rolleyes:

Or Country people don't want to pay for country shows! 

Really, PW is such a right wing place it amazes me that you aren't all shrugging and saying "That's the free market for you" or brainstorming a way to make a country focused fair possible. A charity maybe or a social enterprise? I think that is what will happen once the fairs are nearly all gone. 

I very much doubt a decent "Country" Show is recoverable.

A Ploughing Match with Clay Pigeon Shooting, Gun Dogs being worked, trials, animals on show, maybe some horse jumping, a vegetable and flower show and some "country" orientated stalls. A small tented bar and some good food with maybe an iced cream van. Suitable parking on a field not a million miles away from the shooting and a reasonable charge for entry.

NOT too much to hope for, is it?

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

COUNTRY Shows are NOT for COUNTRY People any more!   

Because they don't spend any bluddy money.

Look, you can scoff at the Schoffel/Fairfax and Favor brigade as much as you like.  They are spending money, therefore the market will appeal to them.  Not old farts on a forum pining for some rose-tinted memory of what country fairs used to look like.

8 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

brainstorming a way to make a country focused fair possible. A charity maybe or a social enterprise? I think that is what will happen once the fairs are nearly all gone. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I very much doubt a decent "Country" Show is recoverable.

I think the problem is, as I mentioned above, a co-op/non-profit village show might be ok, but I just don't think you can (sustainably) scale it up to something the size of the Gamefair.  You need professional organisation.  And those people cost money, so you have be operating on a for-profit basis.

That's not to say I agree with the astronomical prices being charged, but clearly the organisers and the stall holders are charging with the market will stand.