Bringing Cartridges home from France

So the family holiday is approaching and thinking about trying to bring a slab or two of cartridges back.

travelling by euro tunnel and will of course take my shotgun certificate.

Anyone tried recently is it still allowed? Do I need forms or to tell anyone?

Thanks in Advance 

Agriv8 

I can talk to tunnel people and see as always been helpful regarding the minimum!

34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It will be interesting to see if;

A. You can find cartridges cheap enough to bother buying.

B. How many you are allowed to bring through the tunnel?

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

AFAIK no ammunition is allowed in the Eurotunnel beyond "a minimum" whatever that is!

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/legal/carriage-of-firearms-and-fireworks/

cost wine is cheaper maybe the same for cartridges the cleaver range are a good shell and red !

I can’t find anything regarding Customs and declaration from an personal import stand point.  

before brexit there are few posts in here re people bringing them back over

the main parts are the firearms  an issue not so the cartridges 

Agriv8

Edited by Agriv8

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It will be interesting to see if;

A. You can find cartridges cheap enough to bother buying.

You can walk into any decathlon store and pick up some of their home range clay cartridges for £200 a thousand. That's at least £40 cheaper than the cheapest UK equivalent.

32g 6 shot for £67 a slab on their French website. You won't see anything game related for less than £80 a slab in the UK.

I've no doubt that any local French RFD would have cheaper cartridges in stock than decathlon.

There is a French rfd local to the campsite - from the pricing I have seen for mid range clay shells there is a savings ! I only intend to bring a slab back ( this time ) maybe 1k next !

so any pointers if I need to declare these post brexit on my return to uk if not it looks like it might be doable !

Agriv8 

8 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

Any help

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

The issue with the tunnel is fire hazard, they tightened up after they had the fire a few years back, but i have brought back a slab without problems.

Will be travelling with small gas bottle for pizza oven and declaring this with the tunnel peeps  . Looks like as long as I don’t go too mad with the cartridges I’ll be ok re customs

0EB0160A-4FF8-4AD9-9F23-593D9B86A407.png

Personally I'd think it was more trouble than it's worth. 

At best you're saving 100 quid with the small number of cartridges you're bringing back.

On the other hand, the staff may not even know what their rules are, and they may well detain you and call the police anyway just by finding ammunition. That's a lengthy interview and unnecessary stress, even if they decide you've done nothing wrong. 

Of course, they may also decide that you've attempted to bring back more cartridges than what they decide to be the absolute minimum. You can try and justify it as much as you like but ultimately you're not the one that decides what a minimum number is. I can easily imagine an anti-gun type thinking that 10 boxes of ammunition is far in excess of a minimum.

Far too much hassle. 

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

Add on the cost of fuel there and back and you may as well buy 1k Dark Strom over here. 

Dougy  - tunnel paid for 

the hassle I can do without I must admit the verbal from Mrs Agriv8 if I do get my collar felt would be unbearable. I buy 1k cartridges every couple of months !

don’t want a van full might try calling eurotunel and see what they say. Still very undecided

Will do more digging 

Agriv8

Your also assuming that your local dealer /Decathlon will accept your UK SGC.

Some do, some dont. 
Both my local Decathlons when I lived there wouldn’t, but I had local license too so no biggie. 

My local  shop on the other hand sold, everything without a desire to see anything but my money.