boat blind

simcgunner

I shoot a lot out of a boat.Rowing along the rush to jump ducks or decoying. It is not legal to hunt out of a boat when it is under engine power.

Had my last boat set up be a blind in the season.Netting goes up along the boat which has poles to hold it up,these are about 3' apart.The poles are set up inside the boat and the net drapes over to rest just above the surface of the water.This leaves a gap to stand up and shoot from.

I once shot a right and left at foxes that were prowling the shore out of the boat. Can't be too many that have done that.

OP. We do not have much in the way of extensive inland waters with shooting access here. In suitable areas - you may have seen the Ouse Washes mentioned for example - small boats and big decoy rigs are indeed used. Most wild duck are shot over small ponds ("flight ponds") which are usually fed heavily, or baited as you would say. An illegal practice in the USA !   On the coast we have pretty large tidal ranges which limit this style of shooting plus it is a crowded little country.

Punt gunning has also been outlawed here . Punts and large bore Guns were used by market gunners . back when selling game was legal. At the time they also outlawed guns larger than 10 bore in a misguided effort to prevent the extinction of the fowl. There is less and less access to shooting areas And I fear wildfowling will become a lost activity due to loss of habitat. each year limits are adjusted to to try and keep the wildfowl population up. This year we are allowed 1 black duck  and a limit of 4 mallards 2 of them drakes. . Pretty dismal and a lot of work for just a few ducks. Still there are a few of us old timers who take a perverse pleasure of sitting in a hide as dawn comes and foul weather  forces us to break snotsicles off our noses before taking a shot. 

Sometime now since I was in California...30yrs thereabouts and then I was a guest of a CWA member. He was telling me that on public waters then guys would queue all night to get a place and others would do the same during the day waiting for a gun to come off the water freeing up a blind.  Had a drive around a private club area before enjoying barbecued oysters.  Very different.

it can be difficult to hunt public waters . First if it is very productive area it likely has a blind on it that has been passed down for generations. these blinds are in great demand and the license is renewed each year. If one comes open an old (80-150 years old) has people standing by to license it. membership in these clubs are passed down to family. One of the historic gunning clubs of the Chesapeake came open a few years ago it was 50000. dollar buy in and 5000 per year dues. The state has some hunting areas and flooded impounds that are managed for waterfowl. these are given out by lottery. and I am awaiting this years draw to see if I won a place. Last year I won the last day at a state impound and just my luck we got the worst snowstorm of the year. 

As a point of interest, here in NZ, shooting from boats is generally allowed, but they must not be under power when the shooting is done. Drifting down a river shooting ducks is popular in some parts of the country. Others moor or anchor and put decoys out.  Issues relating to land, or in this case river access is complex and no one really seems to understand the situation as it relates to private/public access. In the old days, nobody cared, but that is changing and I wouldn't risk my firearms licence now. 

Public land duck hunting is popular. There is a quaint system of pegging hides or blinds (or maimais as we call them). Once you've tagged a spot, it's yours for as long as you want it (and peg it every year), but they can be hard to get. If someone isn't in their maimai by 0730, anyone can use it. Some are quite elaborate structures with beds and cooking facilities! I've been lucky enough to get maimai access this year.  

Hunting-Borrow-Cut-Wetland2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What state are you in? I was listening to a podcast the other day where Delta Waterowl were talking about huge duck numbers in the main flyways, and they have a planned programme to raise 1 millions ducks which is well underway. 

I gather in some states (from YouTube), there are limits of 6 mallards a day per gun? Is it just your local state restricting the bag limits so tightly, or are there just very few ducks?

On 30/07/2022 at 12:02, simcgunner said:

Punt gunning has also been outlawed here . Punts and large bore Guns were used by market gunners . back when selling game was legal. At the time they also outlawed guns larger than 10 bore in a misguided effort to prevent the extinction of the fowl. There is less and less access to shooting areas And I fear wildfowling will become a lost activity due to loss of habitat. each year limits are adjusted to to try and keep the wildfowl population up. This year we are allowed 1 black duck  and a limit of 4 mallards 2 of them drakes. . Pretty dismal and a lot of work for just a few ducks. Still there are a few of us old timers who take a perverse pleasure of sitting in a hide as dawn comes and foul weather  forces us to break snotsicles off our noses before taking a shot. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's a shame that most of this subject on YouTube is by our American cousins who seem to have it sussed. I guess there a long history of layout boats in the states hence it's the norm. I must remember this next time I'm freezing my **** off and my lab is doing an impersonation of woodpecker with his teeth chattering. He appears has appeared to have grown more hair since last yr obviously he's getting ready for the weather. I got him a neoprene coat so hopefully that will make a bit of a difference. 

Is that all species or is there a rule about big ducks counting for more than 1?

Almost all states have land which is designated as open to hunting. Here in Virginia the hunting areas are called Wildlife Management Areas.  (WMA). Any resident of the State can hunt these areas If they hold a state hunting license. These WMAs are maintained by the state . They can be woodland, wetland farm fields. or a combination. If there is suitable fields they will grant the right to a local farmer to plant a crop of corn or beans  on the condition they will leave some crop standing for the benefit of the wildlife over the winter. the wma near my home also plants about fifty acres of sunflower for the dove opener each year.  These areas can be accessed for other types of outdoor activities out of the hunting season  but that type of activity is restricted to activity that will not impact the wildlife. The State also has what they call managed hunts .  certain areas like waterfowl "impounds" These are man-made grain fields which are flooded each year to attract wildfowl. A hunt is allowed 1 day per week and these are meted out by lottery If you buy an entry . I have been buying a chance at 1 certain site for 20 years and have never been chosen for that particular one yet. I did win one of the impounds last year for the last day of the season. just my luck it was the day of the biggest snow storm of the year my face glasses and beard were Completely and constantly covered with snow and ice.