Mental health of our youngster

old'un

12 hours ago, discobob said:

I have talked about my eldest before - very clever but quiet in social situations was let down by his school at GCSE’s in his Physics which started a bit of an avalanche situation where he ended up disengaged from education which was compounded with COVID which resulted in him suffering with severe anxiety 

even after talking to the school about him feeling isolated in 6th form and they done jack all about it. He ended up with counselling which we paid for which helped but what has done him wonders was getting a part time job at Morrisons- it was tough at first because of his anxiety but now he is flourishing- although he will never get into motorsport engineering that he had his heart set on from when he was young (and he could have done it with his brains)

Sorry to hear about your lad, glad the job helps, Its long been my view that young people thrive on responsibility and encouragement... and a bit of cash also helps 

9 hours ago, islandgun said:

Sorry to hear about your lad, glad the job helps, Its long been my view that young people thrive on responsibility and encouragement... and a bit of cash also helps 

Well today they have increased his hours, and in return he has also asked about the management trainee program of which they seemed quite keen on apparently!

I am so proud that he has the confidence now to even ask them about it

25 minutes ago, discobob said:

Well today they have increased his hours, and in return he has also asked about the management trainee program of which they seemed quite keen on apparently!

Thats great,  I bet he goes from strength to strength

6 hours ago, discobob said:

Very well done to your lad Bob 👍.

Covid hasn’t helped as a generation already hooked into IT and the internet had nowhere else to go and nothing else to do for 2 years and the result is entirely predictable.

Schools don’t set kids up for real life, and it’s a shame. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have an education and know about quadratic equations, read Death of a Salesman and learn a bit of German, but I would say a solid 85% of what I was taught I have never used nor needed. 

I think we are at the point where schools need to teach self awareness and happiness, however, because of the state of the education system that would open the door up to more woke nonsense. 

IMHO the secret is:

1. being good at something / anything to achieve a sense of worth and purpose and to then enjoy that pursuit 

2. not caring what others think - not to the extent that you leave ‘the pack’ entirely but not having your well being determined by others / the approval of others / people you don’t even know

3. aversion therapy - anything you fear or think you can’t do can be overcome by doing it again and again 

Edited by Mungler

On 01/08/2022 at 07:36, Mungler said:

Covid hasn’t helped as a generation already hooked into IT and the internet had nowhere else to go and nothing else to do for 2 years and the result is entirely predictable.

Schools don’t set kids up for real life, and it’s a shame. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have an education and know about quadratic equations, read Death of a Salesman and learn a bit of German, but I would say a solid 85% of what I was taught I have never used nor needed. 

I think we are at the point where schools need to teach self awareness and happiness, however, because of the state of the education system that would open the door up to more woke nonsense. 

IMHO the secret is:

1. being good at something / anything to achieve a sense of worth and purpose and to then enjoy that pursuit 

2. not caring what others think - not to the extent that you leave ‘the pack’ entirely but not having your well being determined by others / the approval of others / people you don’t even know

3. aversion therapy - anything you fear or think you can’t do can be overcome by doing it again and again 

Good post 👍

Hello, it's not only young people, , my older son 49 has suffered mental health problems since his 20s, a type of  autism with anxiety , brought on from a major breakdown when his then girlfriend died in tragic circumstances , he shut himself away for 2 years, lots of help from family but very little from the NHS, now going through another bad patch since new year, not working, he went back to his mum's for a few weeks but back in his own home now, he hardly goes out which does not help his energy bills, his mum and I keep him going financially but what happens when we go, a call to his GP did nothing, cannot even find private therapy,but he's not alone as there are 1000s of son's and daughters, grand children and their families across UK in the same position and doing their best ,