Stubble shooting gone ?

30-6

22 minutes ago, manthing said:

@Ultrastu what about,

"The landowners and many people have tried various methods years ago to scare the crows away but the only thing that works is shooting"

Do you try non lethal methods evey year bud, or is it a case of tried once and it didn't work so now I'm shooting?

I'm changing with the times.

I've been doing it seriously this last year and logging it .

Previously less so 

8 minutes ago, Fellside said:

It’s pointless discussing this any further with you Ultrastu. I have tried to offer a realistic legal rationale - but you refuse to see the facts as they stand. 

Good luck with your scaring if that’s what you enjoy. I think the only creature you’re really scaring however is yourself. 

I agree seems a futile conversation. Good luck .hope they don't come knocking .

Been reading the previous posts with a lot of interest and if I am honest I didn't know to much about the old general licence , we done what everyone before us done and that was to seek out the land owner , get the o k to shoot over his / her crops and shoot away to your hearts content , not once in all my years of shooting pigeons have I ever known one person being questioned on how , or why he was killing pigeons .

Then two or three years ago a few wise men got together and more or less put a stop to pigeon shooting overnight , to begin with we wasn't sure for what reason ? , then the various bodies and orgs got together and came up with some sort of plan where we could carry on doing what we had done in the past as long as we carried out the requirements put to us that was stated on the new GL , which is what this thread is all about , one of these days someone ( hope it is not me ) will be charged with some offense to do with the GL and it will be very interesting to see the outcome that could change Pigeon shooting for ever :hmm:

What on earth? The general licences have existed since the 1980s, you’d have to be north of 60 to remember shooting without them.

Of course, that’s not to say we didn’t all get, uh, reminded of the precise legal situation when Natural England pulled the ladder up a couple of years back.

But the legal situation remains the same, and has been for nearly 3 generations now: all birds are protected. If you want to shoot pigeons, read & comply with the relevant general licence.

Oh, and for chrissakes, refrain from commenting about English GLs on a thread about Welsh GLs. Less than useless, it’s actively unhelpful.

38 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I'm changing with the times.

I've been doing it seriously this last year and logging it .

Previously less so 

I agree seems a futile conversation. Good luck .hope they don't come knocking .

Does the word paranoid mean anything to you? I don’t think it’s the GLs you need to study (although

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What on earth? The general licences have existed since the 1980s, you’d have to be north of 60 to remember shooting without them.

Of course, that’s not to say we didn’t all get, uh, reminded of the precise legal situation when Natural England pulled the ladder up a couple of years back.

But the legal situation remains the same, and has been for nearly 3 generations now: all birds are protected. If you want to shoot pigeons, read & comply with the relevant general licence.

Oh, and for chrissakes, refrain from commenting about English GLs on a thread about Welsh GLs. Less than useless, it’s actively unhelpful.

I know - I raised the Welsh relevance to no avail. 

However, his wrong assertions which are potentially misleading……? Tried logic, but that didn’t work. 

Sorry the top one was supposed to read ‘I don’t think it’s the GLs you need to study - try the Mental Health Act…..😁

Just a little humour. Hope you don’t mind. 

The welsh general licence 001 (similar to the English gl42 ) 

Has the same wording about recording your efforts of non lethal methods and notes on how many birds you take . Its in section 42 of the 001 licence. 

So every thing I've said so far has been 100 % relevant  to England and Wales. This forum is read by all UK citizens  and further afield than that . So when I post its info for a wider audience  than just one keyboard warrior  with his fingers in his ears  .

Cheers .I hope this has helped some people to understand  where uk shooting is going and what they can do to continue  to enjoy what they do .

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The welsh general licence 001 (similar to the English gl42 ) 

Has the same wording about recording your efforts of non lethal methods and notes on how many birds you take . Its in section 42 of the 001 licence. 

So every thing I've said so far has been 100 % relevant  to England and Wales. This forum is read by all UK citizens  and further afield than that . So when I post its info for a wider audience  than just one keyboard warrior  with his fingers in his ears  .

Cheers .I hope this has helped some people to understand  where uk shooting is going and what they can do to continue  to enjoy what they do .

The only thing you have lead us to understand: is that you have misinterpreted GL42. Most of your ‘wider audience’ will be acutely aware of this. 

You can jump up and down in your stubble field, playing a banjo and singing ‘The Yellow Rose Of Texas’ at full throttle, but it won’t make a jot of difference to your compliance with GL42. Don’t forget to record it though……😄

Maybe you didn’t hear of any one being prosecuted for shooting over stubble fields using the general license because the licenses were illegal. Now we have legal licences it’s also the first time we have stubble fields to shoot or not. The Northern Ireland general license is about to be changed chances are it will be similar to the Welsh general licence. It’s up to the individual how they use the license for the country they will be using it. The licences give advice it’s common sense to use it. The simple answer is to have individual license with the users name and the user to be informed of any updates ( licences have already been updated). It shouldn’t be long before this happens, the sooner the better. Then if anyone is prosecuted they will have the licence taken and it won’t affect any other licence holders.

3 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

Maybe you didn’t hear of any one being prosecuted for shooting over stubble fields using the general license because the licenses were illegal. Now we have legal licences it’s also the first time we have stubble fields to shoot or not. The Northern Ireland general license is about to be changed chances are it will be similar to the Welsh general licence. It’s up to the individual how they use the license for the country they will be using it. The licences give advice it’s common sense to use it. The simple answer is to have individual license with the users name and the user to be informed of any updates ( licences have already been updated). It shouldn’t be long before this happens, the sooner the better. Then if anyone is prosecuted they will have the licence taken and it won’t affect any other licence holders.

Not a bad idea Gas seal - but can you imagine the government admin’…?
I think the cost of running such a scheme might sadly prevent it taking off. 

6 hours ago, Cranfield said:

It must be post harvest time again, this topic (without the Welsh implications) comes up every year.

I have never heard of anyone being successfully prosecuted for shooting GL vermin on stubbles.

Some people simply seem obsessed in making things as difficult as possible for themselves. 🤷‍♂️

18 hours ago, Gas seal said:

Maybe you didn’t hear of any one being prosecuted for shooting over stubble fields using the general license because the licenses were illegal.

Incorrect. WJ seeking judicial review because the existing licences had, in their view, holes in them, does not make them illegal.

Now we have legal licences it’s also the first time we have stubble fields to shoot or not.

Again, that's not correct.  Without going over the text of the old licences, the GLs were always open to interpretation, and there was never any specific provision with respect to stubble fields (as far as I'm aware).

The simple answer is to have individual license with the users name and the user to be informed of any updates ( licences have already been updated). It shouldn’t be long before this happens, the sooner the better.

What you’re proposing is truly the worst of all worlds.  The whole point of the general licences, from the government’s point of view, is to not have the burden and cost of issuing individual licences.  It’s also trying to solve a problem we don’t have; given that no-one has ever been prosecuted (to my knowledge).  As for keeping individuals up to date?  You hold in your hand the means to do that, and your chosen shooting organisation emails you in case of changes, no?

18 hours ago, Scully said:

Some people simply seem obsessed in making things as difficult as possible for themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Nail.  Head.