Barbour longevity

George1990

What are people's experiences with Barbour lifespan?

I have had a good few, and notice that the once the creases have 'set' in the sleeve, that these creases then rot and tear. The sleeves very quickly get covered in black gunge which doesn't help. 

I do wear them every day from around October through April, and reproof them on the hottest day of the year to let the wax melt in. I also scrub the creases and black gunge to move it around with the hot wax, so there is far less gunge on the sleeve afterwards. 

I can't be the only one. Even if I leave it two years to go light green and cottony, there is still filth on the sleeves while all the rest of the coat has had the wax come out. 

Also, the hems all fray after about 2 years. I see some Barbours that are very old, but I guess they don't actually get worn and used. I think around 4 years max for mine before they go rotten and end up as work coats (where they do last many years of abuse, but show it)

Hello, to be honest I think Barbour have gone over to the yuppy brigade where once it was a well liked winter wet coat  for country folk, now it's a bit of a fashion show, the vintage ones seem to fetch ££££ssss like my old solway zipper, I would just power wash  , let it dry and rewax , your always get muck in the creases, there are other companies that make a quality wax coat, , saying this I often find Barbour coats 2nd hand, my border cost £20

58 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Quality isn't there anymore I bought a coat new & within a month or so a popper had come off & there was issues with the zip 

A friend once bought a new Solway Zipper at the Game Fair at the end of July. He wore it for fowling on The Wash until the end of the season and then sent it to Barbour for reproofing. They sent it back as “beyond economical repair”  This was around 1972.

1 hour ago, George1990 said:

I do wear them every day from around October through April, and reproof them on the hottest day of the year to let the wax melt in. I also scrub the creases and black gunge to move it around with the hot wax, so there is far less gunge on the sleeve afterwards. 

I can't be the only one. Even if I leave it two years to go light green and cottony, there is still filth on the sleeves while all the rest of the coat has had the wax come out. 

Also, the hems all fray after about 2 years. I see some Barbours that are very old, but I guess they don't actually get worn and used. I think around 4 years max for mine before they go rotten and end up as work coats (where they do last many years of abuse, but show it)

I think you must be the last of a dwindling breed.  Fact is, Barbour is now a fashion brand, and technology has moved on. 

You'd be better served, probably, finding a different brand of waxed jackets, but I would assume the prices will be steep to match the low volume.

You'd definitely be better served by spending 'Barbour money' on a more  modern shooting jacket.

I have five Barbour waxed jackets, and two pairs of waxed over trousers. They are all worn on a fairly regular basis through the shooting season, and the oldest one will now be about eight year old. 
I like Barbour stuff, and as said above, you can’t beat it for pushing through briers etc. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I still have two three quarter coats from the seventies and a Northumbria and a waxed featherweight Durham from the mid eighties. I no longer wear them for shooting.

If you were to ever part with them do you research for the listing info & sell them on ebay vintage barbour commands big £££ on ebay 

I wear their waxed leggings. 

They finish a days shooting and are put in the washing machine on a rinse. Used 15 days a year. 

A quick spray with nikwax when damp and a full rub in wax at the end of the season.  

They last ages. 

I still like wax but I now buy a cheaper brand, cheapest I can find in the design I want. I then re wax to my satisfaction whilst still brand new.

Cheap branded jacket on amazon, long length, big pockets, brass zip, cord collar - £30 - £40, tin of quality wax £15.

You then have a cheap jacket that'll last 3 to 4 years, more if your careful.

My current one is made by Waxberry, re waxed in I think "blue wax" its a brand ? Anyway it's on its 4th season and gets hammered by me. No big loss if it wears out compared to Barbours £150+

On 01/08/2022 at 13:46, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, to be honest I think Barbour have gone over to the yuppy brigade where once it was a well liked winter wet coat  for country folk, now it's a bit of a fashion show, the vintage ones seem to fetch ££££ssss like my old solway zipper, I would just power wash  , let it dry and rewax , your always get muck in the creases, there are other companies that make a quality wax coat, , saying this I often find Barbour coats 2nd hand, my border cost £20

Solway Zipper,  Iv'e had 2 of of them over the decades. You even got a belt and hood with them. Paid £9. twele and sixpence for the first.
Moorland jacket was a cracker too.

The good old days what.

On 02/08/2022 at 15:32, Stonepark said:

Try £250+ for the Northumbria which is one the few last heavy weight proper Barbours still sold by them.

I have got a Northumbria that is still in excellent condition , we had a shoot last season that was on one of the wettest days I have ever been shooting in , In the morning I had a decent Musto long coat on that had a hood with it , by dinnertime I was wet through , as luck would have it I put some spare clothing in my motor before I had set off , I put my Barbour on and apart from it being a bit more rigid than the Musto it kept me bone dry for the rest of the day .