A new scam for us all to be aware of!

chrisjpainter

This is the first time I've heard of this one, so thought I'd share.

Yesterday my mum received a Whatsapp message saying:

'Hi mum, it's me, just to let you know I've got a new number'

She was sceptical, but unfortunately replied to say 'that's fine, is this Chris', to which a reply inevitably came back 'yes it is'. 

She changed her number for me in her phone. Fortunately this morning she sent me a whatsapp message to check this had happened, and I confirmed that it hadn't and that I'd never have replied to the question 'is this Chris' with something so tediously mundane as 'yes it is'. 

I'm not sure what the ultimate goal is, probably the usual personal details mining, but just to let you all know this one's about - and to contact the person directly on a different contacting platform to confirm, rather than just a reply. Unless you smell a rat immediately and then just get on with your life  after deleting and blocking the number.

Variants to this apparently include 'Hi mum/dad I dropped my phone in the bath/loo/sink etc and this is my new phone and number'. 

I've seen loads of these online recently. They ask for money to unblock their card, add minutes/data to their phone, pay a phone bill so they can get their old number back etc. Usually £40-100. Some are pretty convincing and I bet a lot of people are getting caught out.

19 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

This is the first time I've heard of this one, so thought I'd share.

Yesterday my mum received a Whatsapp message saying:

'Hi mum, it's me, just to let you know I've got a new number'

She was sceptical, but unfortunately replied to say 'that's fine, is this Chris', to which a reply inevitably came back 'yes it is'. 

She changed her number for me in her phone. Fortunately this morning she sent me a whatsapp message to check this had happened, and I confirmed that it hadn't and that I'd never have replied to the question 'is this Chris' with something so tediously mundane as 'yes it is'. 

I'm not sure what the ultimate goal is, probably the usual personal details mining, but just to let you all know this one's about - and to contact the person directly on a different contacting platform to confirm, rather than just a reply. Unless you smell a rat immediately and then just get on with your life  after deleting and blocking the number.

Variants to this apparently include 'Hi mum/dad I dropped my phone in the bath/loo/sink etc and this is my new phone and number'. 

My daughter got this one last week. They went on to say that they need to pay two bills urgently and cannot access their online banking due to the new phone, so could she pay the bills and they’d pay her back the next day……….

Needless to say she realised the scam and reported it.

OB

1 hour ago, davewh100 said:

please dont say that iv just wone the Nigerian lottery 😂

No, but you have been selected by a Nigerian bank official to assist him in relocating some moribund funds that he has discovered and you can earn a sizable commission. 🤣