Pigeon shooting in surrey

Beretta 687

Hello all! 

my name is Sam and I am new to the forum. I’ve had my shotgun licence now for around 3 years and I’ve been clay pigeon shooting on and off for around 10 years. I’m very curious with getting involved in some real pigeon shooting but sadly im a little in the dark with regards to finding a farm etc too shoot on and also hide set up/etiquette. I’ve obviously researched this topic endlessly on the internet but you cannot beat knowledge from someone who’s actually done it. So if anyone is from around surrey/dorking area and wouldn’t mind me tagging along or even pointing me in the direction with a few tips that would be great. 

many thanks 

22 minutes ago, Beretta 687 said:

Finding a farm that will let me shoot on is actually proving rather difficult. All of my local ones are not keen on the idea at all. So yes I can find farms but like I wrote in my last post none are fitting the bill. Would you have any advice? Thanks 

If it makes you feel any better about your efforts, I’ve been trying to find ground to shoot over for around three years, door knocking/ phone calls have always ended the same way (if you don’t already shoot locally and therefore have references then no thanks) but!…I joined my local wildfowling club and that comes with plenty of land to shoot over so that may be worth looking into. I’m also lucky in that the company I work for is owned by a friend and  recently moved to a new yard which is based on a farm that is owned by his friend….hey presto we both have some shooting. Don’t give up….things have a way of falling into place 👍🏻

10 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Few farmers will just let total strangers shoot on there land, and I don’t really blame them. You need to get to know them, try asking for some beating on local shoots which is a good way of getting to know people and farmers 

As Stimo22 says, generally the best way is to get to know the local farmers. All of them. 
Make friends with them. 
Then, if you are lucky, after about twenty years you will be accepted into the community and may be allowed to shoot. 
Perhaps start by regularly buying your eggs/potatoes from them.

Thankyou for all the replies everyone I really appreciate it! Im going to start expanding my search area this weekend and fingers crossed I find a suitable farm. I will definitely have a look into joining a wild flowing club. If anyone’s local to Surrey/dorking and fancy’s going to shoot some clays in the future let me know. Thanks again everyone

On 03/08/2022 at 10:38, Beretta 687 said:

Thankyou for all the replies everyone I really appreciate it! Im going to start expanding my search area this weekend and fingers crossed I find a suitable farm. I will definitely have a look into joining a wild flowing club. If anyone’s local to Surrey/dorking and fancy’s going to shoot some clays in the future let me know. Thanks again everyone

This time of the year you have got everything against you , most of the crops left in the ground don't attract Pigeons with the exception of the Maize fields , some of these fields will have a game strip left , or even the whole field depending on how big the field is and the size of the game shoot , getting permission to shoot on the stubble's is virtually impossible if you haven't been looking after that particular crop as to the land owner the Pigeons / Crows are not doing any harm and while they are on the stubble then they are not on a standing crop , or laid come to that .

Sadly it is who you know and not what you know , I would always advise joining a wild fowling club , or ringing up the various game keepers around your way to put your name down down for beating , if you can attend days during the week all the better as the keeper rarely want anyone for a Saturday , also with shoots badly hit with not having Partridge chicks the numbers of shoots this coming season will be severely hit so fining a place is going to be difficult , but don't let it put you off , if you want something bad enough you can normally find a way to get it and once one door open it won't be long where others will soon follow ........ GOOD LUCK.

On 02/08/2022 at 18:42, Beretta 687 said:

Hello all! 

my name is Sam and I am new to the forum. I’ve had my shotgun licence now for around 3 years and I’ve been clay pigeon shooting on and off for around 10 years. I’m very curious with getting involved in some real pigeon shooting but sadly im a little in the dark with regards to finding a farm etc too shoot on and also hide set up/etiquette. I’ve obviously researched this topic endlessly on the internet but you cannot beat knowledge from someone who’s actually done it. So if anyone is from around surrey/dorking area and wouldn’t mind me tagging along or even pointing me in the direction with a few tips that would be great. 

many thanks 

Welcome to the forum,

I see you have had many helpful replies, that is because you appear to have good manners.

Something often lacking on here.

If you are ever around the Midlands/Shropshire area give me a pm. 

Regards,

Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...