A Schoolboy Error I Am Glad To Make .

marsh man

2 hours ago, Scully said:

😄Ah! The good old established holier than thou squad! Ever ready to criticise what they see as shortcomings in those they don’t deem as worthy of their ‘sport’,  and equally as quick to ignore and overlook their own. 🙂

I recall the first time I posted in ‘talk from the field’ many moons ago, back in the days when my opportunities were less common, and was bombarded with criticism for dumping shot birds ( corvids and pigeons ) in the hedge bottoms.
It was enlightening to receive almost as many PM’s back then as I received criticism, telling me they did the same but didn’t post on here anymore due to criticism from the holier than thou squad. 
I’m due out again one day this week after talking to a local farmer, who has instructed me to ‘kill everything that comes near!’ Pest control you see. It’s a mucky job but someone has to do it…..properly. 

Happy shooting. 🙂

I know a few who shoot 10s of thousands per year and the birds get processed one way or another so are they not doing a good job I beg to differ 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well if you don't do what the farmer wants there will be a queue for that permission!

You can do what the farmer has asked you to and still sell the birds on 

45 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

I know a few who shoot 10s of thousands per year and the birds get processed one way or another so are they not doing a good job I beg to differ 

You can do what the farmer has asked you to and still sell the birds on 

I would think they’re doing a very good job, but not everyone has an outlet for pigeons, and whether there’s an outlet or not, they’re still to shoot, so if no one wants them they’re dumped along with the corvids. Even if they’re breasted, the carcass is dumped. 
Yes, you can do what the farmer has asked you to do, but he couldn’t care less whether you have an outlet or not, he just wants them shot. Some folk struggle to give them away, let alone ‘sell them on’. 
Try telling a landowner you can’t shoot them cos you haven’t an outlet! 😀

No one seems bothered about dumping corvids,  even though pigeons are also regarded as a pest species along with crows, jackdaws etc. 

49 minutes ago, Scully said:

I would think they’re doing a very good job, but not everyone has an outlet for pigeons, and whether there’s an outlet or not, they’re still to shoot, so if no one wants them they’re dumped along with the corvids. Even if they’re breasted, the carcass is dumped. 
Yes, you can do what the farmer has asked you to do, but he couldn’t care less whether you have an outlet or not, he just wants them shot. Some folk struggle to give them away, let alone ‘sell them on’. 

No one seems bothered about dumping corvids,  even though pigeons are also regarded as a pest species along with crows, jackdaws etc. 

I know but I know which one I'd rather eat 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well if you don't do what the farmer wants there will be a queue for that permission!

I have never had a farmer or landowner demand I shoot everything I can and say , if you can't do that I will get someone who can , my answer would be , go ahead and walk off the place . the bulk of the land I go on I have been shooting on for 40 plus years and never had a problem , we have a very good relationship and in most cases I know where the Pigeons are before the landowner do , I get maps where all the crops are and check them out at least once or twice a week from the time the crop is planted , if for any reason I do miss a field and the farm manager give me a ring I can be out there either the same day or certainly the next , for most working people they just couldn't go on the spur of the moment .

Not only that the landowner want to know who he is letting on his land while using a shotgun and weather he can be trusted or not , on the estate land we have a lot of public come on farm walks , demos with the latest farm machines , school groups and many other projects , and the last thing they would want to see is a load of dead ,or possibly some still alive birds in the stubble while they are watching the latest combine performing .

As for dumping the bag , I would say the bulk of Pigeon shooters who have to dump the bags are the ones who only go a few days each year , these wouldn't be geared up to cool the bag down in the fridge or on the concrete garage floor and then take them possibly the next day to the outlet , or stick them all in the freezer until they have got enough to take , it might be harder than it once was to move dead Pigeons on but there are still outlets if you care to put yourself out to find them , you only have to look at the reply I got from P C who had to move on 800 on what was one of the hottest weekend ever , and do you honestly believe that these boys who are at the top of there game are going to shoot 800 pigeons and dump them ?

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have never had a farmer or landowner demand I shoot everything I can and say , if you can't do that I will get someone who can ,

I have , a couple of times, one a couple of weeks ago.
Must have been 500 crows hitting his barley, he says, I want them gone !
I do his foxing and we get on, so I told him he would have to pay for some carts, puzzled look...You want me to pay you to shoot them , but its sport ?
I said its several days JOB to make any impact on them, but call it 2 slabs, £100 ... 
I can get someone else to do it free he said, cool I said , didnt fancy it in this heat anyway....Puzzled look....

1 case of rope bangers later.....😆 And theres still 500 crows working his crop.

34 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I have , a couple of times, one a couple of weeks ago.
Must have been 500 crows hitting his barley, he says, I want them gone !
I do his foxing and we get on, so I told him he would have to pay for some carts, puzzled look...You want me to pay you to shoot them , but its sport ?
I said its several days JOB to make any impact on them, but call it 2 slabs, £100 ... 
I can get someone else to do it free he said, cool I said , didnt fancy it in this heat anyway....Puzzled look....

1 case of rope bangers later.....😆 And theres still 500 crows working his crop.

Something you rarely see now around this way is people shooting Rooks and Jackdaws , we have got a healthy population and if the numbers build up the Crow trap comes into play , this is handy near built up areas as it is working day and night without making any noise . 

I don't think some of the land owners realize what it cost to shoot there vermin , with fuel now close to £2 a litre and cartridges around £300 a 1000 it can become costly , now a days with everything in the household going up and up you could find some of the Pigeon shooters who used to recover some of the cost by selling the bag can no longer afford to be a unpaid pest controller , sport or no sport , with the cost of corn making good money it won't hurt if they dipped there hand in the pocket now again .:good:

On 08/08/2022 at 13:18, marsh man said:

I have never had a farmer or landowner demand I shoot everything I can and say , if you can't do that I will get someone who can , my answer would be , go ahead and walk off the place . the bulk of the land I go on I have been shooting on for 40 plus years and never had a problem , we have a very good relationship and in most cases I know where the Pigeons are before the landowner do , I get maps where all the crops are and check them out at least once or twice a week from the time the crop is planted , if for any reason I do miss a field and the farm manager give me a ring I can be out there either the same day or certainly the next , for most working people they just couldn't go on the spur of the moment .

Not only that the landowner want to know who he is letting on his land while using a shotgun and weather he can be trusted or not , on the estate land we have a lot of public come on farm walks , demos with the latest farm machines , school groups and many other projects , and the last thing they would want to see is a load of dead ,or possibly some still alive birds in the stubble while they are watching the latest combine performing .

As for dumping the bag , I would say the bulk of Pigeon shooters who have to dump the bags are the ones who only go a few days each year , these wouldn't be geared up to cool the bag down in the fridge or on the concrete garage floor and then take them possibly the next day to the outlet , or stick them all in the freezer until they have got enough to take , it might be harder than it once was to move dead Pigeons on but there are still outlets if you care to put yourself out to find them , you only have to look at the reply I got from P C who had to move on 800 on what was one of the hottest weekend ever , and do you honestly believe that these boys who are at the top of there game are going to shoot 800 pigeons and dump them ?

What on Earth is this all about? You’ve skewed everything I’ve said to yet again prove a point which doesn’t exist! 
I haven’t had any farmer ‘demand’ anything. 

The ‘kill everything that comes near’ was in fact a tongue in cheek statement, which simply means shoot as many as you can.
As for getting someone else to do it, I’ve never been told that’s what will happen, but I’ve known it happen to others, which is why we are getting more and more land to shoot over. It never transpires that they have been told he will get someone else, what usually happens is that whomever doesn’t turn up when he says he will, nor calls to say why, so they lose the opportunity to someone else. 
No one at all is suggesting that you leave dead birds laying in a field for school children to see, that’s ridiculous, despite you appearing to think I’m suggesting that’s how it should be done! Furthermore, the idea that there will be walking wounded stumbling about on the stubble while the combine does it’s job is hilarious! Have you seen a combine working? Have you actually even seen what’s left of a rabbit, let alone a bird, after it’s been run over by a combine? 

We don’t have school trips or nature groups or whatever on the land we shoot on, and if there was one pending the farmer wouldn’t be asking us to shoot til it was over. Think it through. 
As for dumping the bag, it happens. Crows, jackdaws, rooks, magpies,  pigeon, rabbits, foxes, squirrels, rats whatever; all vermin are dumped at one point or another. Some folk as you suggest, just aren’t geared up for processing; some don’t want to process, some don’t have an outlet and some aren’t interested in processing anything anyhow so don’t need an outlet. It’s pest control. 
If you want to play about shooting the odd handful of pigeon for ‘sport’ then fair enough.  I won’t criticise you for it ( and didn’t until you criticised me ) as long as you don’t criticise those who choose to do it differently. 

Your so called tongue in cheek is exactly what I expected from you , after all you are there to kill , or try to kill every head of vermin that come into range , weather you bother to pick them up then to be honest I couldn't now care less. As I said we are miles apart when it come to Pigeon shooting or as you keep saying pest control . 

As you were saying in your report A Day Of Two Halves , they had already cut around the headland so you had a 15 yard strip of stubble to shoot on , did you set up on the stubble ? , or trampled some corn down in the standing crop , as on no account did you land owner wanted you to pick up anything in the crop with the end result you leaving 50 odd unpicked , as he had already started to cut the field he could have been back on there the following day , and yes I have seen what a combine can do if the wheels , or in our case , tracks run over anything but depending what height the cutter is set it is quite possible they can over ride any dead or dying birds , as you pointed out you missed some easy ones and should have shot a lot better , This might be you don't do much ( pest control ) and your timing is all out , my advise would be get out there more instead of spending so much time on your laptop.

As for me shooting the odd hand full of birds , with out bragging , you would have to live a record age to shoot more Pigeons than I have , or if you had you would have dumped many 1000s , the only reason I am shooting small numbers is the lack of demand , having said that I have now moved on over 60 this week , I did get another ( hand full ) today and I hope to get another ( hand full ) Thursday and again on Saturday , now the harvest is all over we don't have to pretend and call it pest control as we can now call it preventive as all our shooting over the next six weeks will be on stubble .

Again for the hand full of birds below is a photo of the bag we got Saturday on the Pea stubble and another one when I took a P W member ( Metalmax ) I think his user name was , he came to mine from Essex to look at 1000s of geese we had on our marshes which I showed him where they were at close quarters , after dinner I took him in a wood I had and we shot nearly 40 Pigeons , I then took him down my marsh for a duck flight , he had a few shots but didn't connect and I ended up giving him the two I shot and a couple of geese I had shot a couple of nights earlier plus all the Pigeons , he said he would love to come Pigeon decoying as he had never done it , I said leave it till the Summer and I will get in touch when I find a suitable field , In the Summer I found a perfect field where we would have got a three figure bag , I left it alone all the week so we could go on it Saturday , come Friday they forecasted heavy thunder storms on the Saturday so I had to cancel it , the following week it was pulled up so I had to find another which was not that hard , he came to mine the following Saturday and we went after dinner , we took turns each in the same hide and although he wasn't shooting that well we still ended up with over 80 which is another photo below , so you would need pretty big hands if they were only a hand full .

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

55 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Your so called tongue in cheek is exactly what I expected from you , after all you are there to kill , or try to kill every head of vermin that come into range , weather you bother to pick them up then to be honest I couldn't now care less. As I said we are miles apart when it come to Pigeon shooting or as you keep saying pest control . 

As you were saying in your report A Day Of Two Halves , they had already cut around the headland so you had a 15 yard strip of stubble to shoot on , did you set up on the stubble ? , or trampled some corn down in the standing crop , as on no account did you land owner wanted you to pick up anything in the crop with the end result you leaving 50 odd unpicked , as he had already started to cut the field he could have been back on there the following day , and yes I have seen what a combine can do if the wheels , or in our case , tracks run over anything but depending what height the cutter is set it is quite possible they can over ride any dead or dying birds , as you pointed out you missed some easy ones and should have shot a lot better , This might be you don't do much ( pest control ) and your timing is all out , my advise would be get out there more instead of spending so much time on your laptop.

As for me shooting the odd hand full of birds , with out bragging , you would have to live a record age to shoot more Pigeons than I have , or if you had you would have dumped many 1000s , the only reason I am shooting small numbers is the lack of demand , having said that I have now moved on over 60 this week , I did get another ( hand full ) today and I hope to get another ( hand full ) Thursday and again on Saturday , now the harvest is all over we don't have to pretend and call it pest control as we can now call it preventive as all our shooting over the next six weeks will be on stubble .

Again for the hand full of birds below is a photo of the bag we got Saturday on the Pea stubble and another one when I took a P W member ( Metalmax ) I think his user name was , he came to mine from Essex to look at 1000s of geese we had on our marshes which I showed him where they were at close quarters , after dinner I took him in a wood I had and we shot nearly 40 Pigeons , I then took him down my marsh for a duck flight , he had a few shots but didn't connect and I ended up giving him the two I shot and a couple of geese I had shot a couple of nights earlier plus all the Pigeons , he said he would love to come Pigeon decoying as he had never done it , I said leave it till the Summer and I will get in touch when I find a suitable field , In the Summer I found a perfect field where we would have got a three figure bag , I left it alone all the week so we could go on it Saturday , come Friday they forecasted heavy thunder storms on the Saturday so I had to cancel it , the following week it was pulled up so I had to find another which was not that hard , he came to mine the following Saturday and we went after dinner , we took turns each in the same hide and although he wasn't shooting that well we still ended up with over 80 which is another photo below , so you would need pretty big hands if they were only a hand full .

Another ramble that barely has anything to do with the point I’m trying to make, which is, stop criticising those who do things differently to you, and then they probably won’t criticise you. It’s easy! 
We carry out pest control, whereas you for some reason don’t, and don’t even appear to like calling it what it is! We do what the landowner wants us to do; it’s his land, and if flying vermin is attracted to our decoys they’ll be shot, and despite having the odd spell where I miss, I hit and kill a great deal more than I miss; there’s not much wrong with my timing I can assure you,  I do a LOT of shooting ) and I genuinely couldn’t care how many pigeons you’ve shot, it is totally irrelevant to this thread; so while we’re dishing out advice, mine would be to wave your Willy at someone who is impressed by such things. 
We set up in the hedgerow, in the post you refer to, with about a ten or fifteen yard stubble strip between my hide and the crop. The decoys were set up on the stubble because, yes, you guessed it, I didn’t want to trample the crop. Some folk do, we don’t, not even to collect cartridges; those ejected into the crop are collected when the crop is cut, all with the landowners approval. 
You can call it ‘preventive’ or anything else you choose, but it’s still pest control within the provisions of the GL, which is the ONLY provision under which you are allowed to shoot pigeon, and NOT for sport.
Pest control has absolutely nothing to do with shooting ‘small numbers’ due to a lack of demand, it’s to do with protecting and preserving as much of the crop as possible by shooting birds feeding on it, regardless of demand! The suggestion is ridiculous! You shoot what’s there whether you have an outlet or not, otherwise you’re not doing what the landowner has asked! 
The rest of your ramble regarding giving geese to Metalmax, and perfect fields is as irrelevant as your imaginary three figure bag…..which you didn’t shoot. What’s that all about?  🤷‍♂️
Incidentally, despite what you claim, I’ve never seen anything left alive after a combine has passed over it and I’ve walked alongside many. 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Another ramble that barely has anything to do with the point I’m trying to make, which is, stop criticising those who do things differently to you, and then they probably won’t criticise you. It’s easy! 
We carry out pest control, whereas you for some reason don’t, and don’t even appear to like calling it what it is! We do what the landowner wants us to do; it’s his land, and if flying vermin is attracted to our decoys they’ll be shot, and despite having the odd spell where I miss, I hit and kill a great deal more than I miss; there’s not much wrong with my timing I can assure you,  I do a LOT of shooting ) and I genuinely couldn’t care how many pigeons you’ve shot, it is totally irrelevant to this thread; so while we’re dishing out advice, mine would be to wave your Willy at someone who is impressed by such things. 
We set up in the hedgerow, in the post you refer to, with about a ten or fifteen yard stubble strip between my hide and the crop. The decoys were set up on the stubble because, yes, you guessed it, I didn’t want to trample the crop. Some folk do, we don’t, not even to collect cartridges; those ejected into the crop are collected when the crop is cut, all with the landowners approval. 
You can call it ‘preventive’ or anything else you choose, but it’s still pest control within the provisions of the GL, which is the ONLY provision under which you are allowed to shoot pigeon, and NOT for sport.
Pest control has absolutely nothing to do with shooting ‘small numbers’ due to a lack of demand, it’s to do with protecting and preserving as much of the crop as possible by shooting birds feeding on it, regardless of demand! The suggestion is ridiculous! You shoot what’s there whether you have an outlet or not, otherwise you’re not doing what the landowner has asked! 
The rest of your ramble regarding giving geese to Metalmax, and perfect fields is as irrelevant as your imaginary three figure bag…..which you didn’t shoot. What’s that all about?  🤷‍♂️
Incidentally, despite what you claim, I’ve never seen anything left alive after a combine has passed over it and I’ve walked alongside many. 

My reply was mainly aimed at TIGHTCHOKE'S remark about , if you don't do what the farmer require he will have a Q waiting to take your place , this I very much doubt would happen , certainly not around this way .

At one time Pigeon shooting was regarded as the poor mans sport , he could get a return for his Pigeons to offset the price of cartridges which were a lot cheaper than they were today , now with the cost of fuel and the high price of cartridges it with no , or very little return on the sale of Pigeons is beginning to get expensive and less money is at disposal with the high cost of inflation , heating and now the bank rate have gone up , but as we do it for sport it is cheaper than game and clay shooting .

As you keep insisting we do it as Pest Control then this bring it in to another league , you are a self employed painter and this day and age should be on around £200 a day , If your land owner wanted you there carrying out Pest Control to safe guard his valuable crops then he should be prepared to put his hand in his pocket and pay you your going rate plus expenses with cartridges and fuel as it is no different if he had to pay a pest controller to clear up a Rat or Mice problem in his grain store or Wasps in his house , whereas I shoot Pigeons for the sport and killing his pests at the same time to comply with G L , if the landowner wanted me to shoots the Crows ect for Pest Control then I would ask him to pay my expenses and donate my time for free as I get the sport out of Pigeon shooting , I would class that as fair , wont you ?

I critisised you on your thread only about leaving leaving two thirds of your bag behind because your so called farmer friend didn't want his crop damaged , as you know a lot about about combines it shouldn't had been any problem for a modern day combine to lift up any any stems of corn you knocked over while finding your birds , after all you cannot stop Deer going in the crop and knocking the stems over.

The amount of Pigeon I shoot was to show you , not all my bags are the ( odd hand full you kindly pointed out , maybe now you can find most of your bag you can show us what a good bag of Pigeons look like , or will we have to wait next year when you have another odd day out , by the way , as you are a top Pest Controller , have you ever done any Roost shooting or Flight line shooting , if so what did that come under when you were taking part ?

As for the combine leaving nothing behind ,I don't know with your vast experience weather you have shot standing rape fields prior to harvest , the modern day combine is set to taking off the minimum of stalk as it only want the seed that is near the top , the stubble can often be two feet high and any birds left will not be touched except where the wheels or tracks run over , this is also the same with Beans but you will already know that.

Now for taking one of PW members out , this was to show you I will try and help any member who is not as lucky as I am with having a fair bit of shooting at my disposal , I have met many top blokes from this forum who I would gladly do my best and give them a days shooting or any help or advise about the area , a few that spring to mind are TIGHTCHOKE , Old Boggy , Lakeside 1000 , Penelope , Jaymo and several more who I have bought cartridges off .

As I said we are miles apart in our ways and I doubt our paths will never cross , not that I would lose any sleep over that .

On 10/08/2022 at 10:26, marsh man said:

My reply was mainly aimed at TIGHTCHOKE'S remark about , if you don't do what the farmer require he will have a Q waiting to take your place , this I very much doubt would happen , certainly not around this way .

I know who your reply was 'mainly' aimed at, but if you're going to reference remarks I have made in your replies to others, then I'm duty bound to respond. 

At one time Pigeon shooting was regarded as the poor mans sport , he could get a return for his Pigeons to offset the price of cartridges which were a lot cheaper than they were today , now with the cost of fuel and the high price of cartridges it with no , or very little return on the sale of Pigeons is beginning to get expensive and less money is at disposal with the high cost of inflation , heating and now the bank rate have gone up , but as we do it for sport it is cheaper than game and clay shooting .

What on earth this has to do with the topic I have no idea; you don't half like going off on a tangent!

As you keep insisting we do it as Pest Control then this bring it in to another league , you are a self employed painter and this day and age should be on around £200 a day , If your land owner wanted you there carrying out Pest Control to safe guard his valuable crops then he should be prepared to put his hand in his pocket and pay you your going rate plus expenses with cartridges and fuel as it is no different if he had to pay a pest controller to clear up a Rat or Mice problem in his grain store or Wasps in his house , whereas I shoot Pigeons for the sport and killing his pests at the same time to comply with G L , if the landowner wanted me to shoots the Crows ect for Pest Control then I would ask him to pay my expenses and donate my time for free as I get the sport out of Pigeon shooting , I would class that as fair , wont you ?

And again, yet another ramble which has little if anything to do with the topic! However, the landowners sometimes buy us a slab of cartridges, but as far as pest control goes we do it for free, and why wouldn't we? We enjoy it just as much as you do, but we do it differently, which brings us back on topic. I wouldn't be offering you criticism at all if you hadn't bothered to offer it to me initially. Thats what this is all about. If you can't handle it then don't dish it out. 

I critisised you on your thread only about leaving leaving two thirds of your bag behind because your so called farmer friend didn't want his crop damaged , as you know a lot about about combines it shouldn't had been any problem for a modern day combine to lift up any any stems of corn you knocked over while finding your birds , after all you cannot stop Deer going in the crop and knocking the stems over.

It isn't any problem at all for a combine to lift flattened corn, but we're doing it the way the landowner wants us to; why is that so difficult for you to comprehend? 

The amount of Pigeon I shoot was to show you ,  not all my bags are the ( odd hand full

I really couldn't care less how many pigeons you shoot, why on earth would I? You criticised my initial post because you don't like the way we so things, so I in turn criticised the way you do things. It has nothing to do with the numbers of pigeons either of us shoots.

you kindly pointed out , maybe now you can find most of your bag you can show us what a good bag of Pigeons look like , or will we have to wait next year when you have another odd day out , by the way , as you are a top Pest Controller , have you ever done any Roost shooting or Flight line shooting , if so what did that come under when you were taking part ?

🙂 We have more than the odd day out, ( and we'd have even more if work didnt get in the way! ) which is one of the reasons its taken me so long to get back to you, but I'm not a top pest controller, and have never claimed to be, but there again, judging by the way you do things you aren't either.  I won't relate on here our last two outings as you may not sleep. 

Roost shooting and flightline shooting is done as the terms of the GL, and the interpretation ( much like the rest of it ) thereof, allows. Different people interpret it in different ways, but as long as they can satisfy themselves either can be justified if challenged, then that's fine. Neither have any relevance to this thread or what this is about. 

As for the combine leaving nothing behind ,I don't know with your vast experience weather you have shot standing rape fields prior to harvest , the modern day combine is set to taking off the minimum of stalk as it only want the seed that is near the top , the stubble can often be two feet high and any birds left will not be touched except where the wheels or tracks run over , this is also the same with Beans but you will already know that.

Again, another totally irrelevant ramble in a desperate attempt to prove a point. There is a bit of rape around here, but not much, and as there are no peas that i know of around here, we don't shoot over either, so again, none of it applies to either my initial post or the reason for this one.

Now for taking one of PW members out , this was to show you I will try and help any member who is not as lucky as I am with having a fair bit of shooting at my disposal , I have met many top blokes from this forum who I would gladly do my best and give them a days shooting or any help or advise about the area , a few that spring to mind are TIGHTCHOKE , Old Boggy , Lakeside 1000 , Penelope , Jaymo and several more who I have bought cartridges off .

I too have met quite a few 'top blokes' off PW, but what does that prove? I've bought and sold to and from several, but again, so what? I have introduced many young lads, a few blokes who don't have as much land as us to shoot on, and more than a few lasses to shooting, but again, so what? What does that prove? 

As I said we are miles apart in our ways and I doubt our paths will never cross , not that I would lose any sleep over that .

Yes, we are miles apart. You shoot pigeons for sport while it suits you, and you have an outlet. We on the other hand, do pest control as the landowner wishes, regardless of an outlet. They are very happy. 

I had no problem with the way you choose to do things until you took a dislike to the way we do things. Therefore the end to this is simple; stop offering criticism to those ( me ) who do things differently to you, and perhaps they ( me again🙂 ) won't return it. How does that sound? 

Scully .. You come across as a very sad sort of person who to be honest I wouldn't give you the time of day , if you are so good at what you do then your farmer friend shouldn't have to ring you on the day he was going to combine the crop , by then the damage had been done as you well know , or should now that the pigeons would have started on the corn when it was in a milky stage , so where were you , by the sound of it you haven't got that much land to go on and if the farmer need to ring you up then you can't really look after what you have got , so if I was you , instead of picking faults with something you don't really know that much about , get out there before your farmer friend get someone else to shoot every bit of vermin that come in sight .

This is now getting a bit boring and the time I am wasting on this I could be out there looking to see where my next mere hand full is coming from .

Ditchman sum you up nicely on your boring three page thread about waiting for a parcel .

He said , FOR GAWDS SAKE SCULLY ........ POST SUMMAT THAT AINT SO DEPRESSING ...... I HAVE ONLY JUST RECOVERED FROM YOUR COMMPUTOR  PROBLEMS 

He have certainly got you weighed up

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Scully .. You come across as a very sad sort of person who to be honest I wouldn't give you the time of day , if you are so good at what you do then your farmer friend shouldn't have to ring you on the day he was going to combine the crop , by then the damage had been done as you well know , or should now that the pigeons would have started on the corn when it was in a milky stage , so where were you , by the sound of it you haven't got that much land to go on and if the farmer need to ring you up then you can't really look after what you have got , so if I was you , instead of picking faults with something you don't really know that much about , get out there before your farmer friend get someone else to shoot every bit of vermin that come in sight .

This is now getting a bit boring and the time I am wasting on this I could be out there looking to see where my next mere hand full is coming from .

Ditchman sum you up nicely on your boring three page thread about waiting for a parcel .

He said , FOR GAWDS SAKE SCULLY ........ POST SUMMAT THAT AINT SO DEPRESSING ...... I HAVE ONLY JUST RECOVERED FROM YOUR COMMPUTOR  PROBLEMS 

He have certainly got you weighed up

😀 And there you go again! Picking fault and adding insults; you just can’t stop yourself can you? You started ‘picking fault’  remember? If you’re in any doubt as to who started criticising who, the threads are still there for you to check!  And you claim it’s me that’s sad! 
You know absolutely nothing about me, or the range of land we cover, but that’s by the by; we do a grand job of looking after our landowners, and they’re happy because we do what they want when they want it ( not the other way round ) and we aren’t just playing at this, like some, and that’s all that matters. 
Have fun. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀 And there you go again! Picking fault and adding insults; you just can’t stop yourself can you? You started ‘picking fault’  remember? If you’re in any doubt as to who started criticising who, the threads are still there for you to check!  And you claim it’s me that’s sad! 
You know absolutely nothing about me, or the range of land we cover, but that’s by the by; we do a grand job of looking after our landowners, and they’re happy because we do what they want when they want it ( not the other way round ) and we aren’t just playing at this, like some, and that’s all that matters. 
Have fun. 🙂

I tell yer what Scully  , I will throw the towel in and come out holding up a White flag .

I will even offer you some Pigeons from today's bag as a good will jester if you would like to pay for the postage , this is as long as you have been out and bought yourself a cold bag to put them in , as you know fully well I hate seeing Pigeons wasted , you did agree with that when you said , I intend to get a cool box to store the Pigeons in as it seem a shame wasting all that meat , Good man , that will save dumping them in the hedge .:good:

35 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I tell yer what Scully  , I will throw the towel in and come out holding up a White flag .

I will even offer you some Pigeons from today's bag as a good will jester if you would like to pay for the postage , this is as long as you have been out and bought yourself a cold bag to put them in , as you know fully well I hate seeing Pigeons wasted , you did agree with that when you said , I intend to get a cool box to store the Pigeons in as it seem a shame wasting all that meat , Good man , that will save dumping them in the hedge .:good:

It’s not a question of throwing in the towel at all MM. There are no losers or winners in this at all, that was never my intention at all. 
We see things differently that’s all. 
Thanks for the kind offer, but we both have cool boxes now and the freezer is full. Thankyou. 

On 08/08/2022 at 11:08, Scully said:

I agree , I shoot pigeons and crows for pest control as this is what the farmer wants and complies with the GL ...you cant shoot pigeons for sport .

I also dump all my pigeons as have no outlet and they are a pest just like corvids. Dont lose any sleep over it as I'm there to do a job and kill as many as possible, whether they are on the ground or sat in trees .

The farmer wants them all shot he only cares about his crops so that is what I do .