Generator help size

Essex Keeper

29 minutes ago, bornfree said:

Unfortunately you need a 10 KVA to run that welder.

rekon thats about it.....i was looking at the MMA...180 amp.......that would need something like that................Honda do a decent gen about 10 kva....

1 hour ago, Essex Keeper said:

Unfortunately I'm not qualified in the electrical world BUT before you part with any money make sure that the Generator is suitable for continued welding as just recently someone i know paid good money for the appropriate KW generator capable of 3phase. So i went to do the job with a 160 amp Mig welder ( I'm a qualified welder of many years) Yeap great for welding thin gauge turn the welder upto max do a inch weld it would knock the generator out. A few years ago a knowledgeable electrician changes i believe the Recifer when then the generator worked excellent with any welder. Also some generators will run a welder but you won't get a smooth weld. Sorry it's long winded reply i know what i mean but can't explain. Only this week i done stick ( Inverter) Mig through Solar System excellent welds and the reason a Sparky told was it was because of Clean electric and not pulsing !!!!!! Good luck hope you get sorted 

20 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Unfortunately I'm not qualified in the electrical world BUT before you part with any money make sure that the Generator is suitable for continued welding as just recently someone i know paid good money for the appropriate KW generator capable of 3phase. So i went to do the job with a 160 amp Mig welder ( I'm a qualified welder of many years) Yeap great for welding thin gauge turn the welder upto max do a inch weld it would knock the generator out. A few years ago a knowledgeable electrician changes i believe the Recifer when then the generator worked excellent with any welder. Also some generators will run a welder but you won't get a smooth weld. Sorry it's long winded reply i know what i mean but can't explain. Only this week i done stick ( Inverter) Mig through Solar System excellent welds and the reason a Sparky told was it was because of Clean electric and not pulsing !!!!!! Good luck hope you get sorted 

Thanks for your feedback and taking the time to give some information and do understand your thoughts 

5 hours ago, bornfree said:

The stephill Honda unit looks nice. What about a 2 hand diesel unit ? Have you got room or does it need to be portable. 

Have room and trailer would be nice to be portable just trying not I spend to much bi then needs to be capable 

13 hours ago, wisdom said:

Used to be able to get diesel welding gen sets on a trailer.

We used to use them on heavy stuff with a stick welder but I would think they are pricy.

Hello, when I worked for William Press on the new gas pipe project we had the above welders that were originally Army surplus stock, for each one there were 2 welders, 1 on deck checking welding Amps, 2 weld  cleaners , 

13 hours ago, wisdom said:

Used to be able to get diesel welding gen sets on a trailer.

We used to use them on heavy stuff with a stick welder but I would think they are pricy.

Hello, when I worked for William Press on the new gas pipe project we had the above welders that were originally Army surplus stock, for each one there were 2 welders, 1 on deck checking welding Amps, 2 weld  cleaners , 

• 4 months later...
On 06/08/2022 at 09:01, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what sort of welding work are you doing that requires portable generator ?

Stuff where there was no electricity.Field work etc.Or where the power supply couldn't cope with a big welder continuously.Another use was on the deck of a ship.

3 hours ago, wisdom said:

Stuff where there was no electricity.Field work etc.Or where the power supply couldn't cope with a big welder continuously.Another use was on the deck of a ship.

Hello, we had portable generators welders when I was working on the gas pipe line , our section was about 30 miles long, Buckinghamshire to London, most of the vehicles were X Army,