.204 ruger

30-6

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

Don't seem to hear much about this calibre anymore.

Shooters gone off them ? If so any particular reason ?

I've had one (Howa 1500 heavy barre) for quite a few years now, and it's excellent. Hard hitting, flat shooting calibre. I reload for mine and use it mainly for ground feeding corvids at ranges up to 275 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Howa 204 but it is a triggers broom, I bought it as a SH Varmint but with a Drone on it weighed a tonne and despite the bore looking ok it just wouldn't hold a group. Now has a PSE Carbon stock, Rifle Basix trigger and a lightweight Pacnor barrel.  The calibre itself is a superb Foxing round, I use 39 grn Blitz Kings.

Still flavour of the month for lots doing fox control but many have woken up to the fact you can get almost the velocities as 204 factory from home loading .223 lightweight bullets fast...as in up to 3700fps for something like a 40g Vmax.   For anyone with a 223 it's not worth the swap especially as barrels last longer in 223 chambering.  A mate swapped his 223 for a 204 and loves it but admits it's only a marginal difference from the 223.

• 2 weeks later...