How long do stubbles last?

Dazv

Hi guys, I’m super excited as this year is the first time I’ve had a bit of land with a crop that pigeons are interested in.

the farmer has cut the wheat today but I can’t get out until next Tuesday and won’t be able to start until 4:30 in the afternoon. Do you gents think I would have missed my opportunity? I can get out for a longer session the following weekend but again am I too late? How many days do you guys typically get decoying before they aren’t interested anymore? I’m also not after big bags. 10 birds is great for me haha! 
cheers guys 

darren

normally stubbles are cultivated ASAP after harvest.........BUT...because of high fuel prices and sprays and fertilizer....you may see farming practices change..where stubbles can be left to over winter...and if winter wheat is goingto go in...the stubble s will be left until the last moment to allow chitting of seed and weed seedings and will be ploughed in before they set seed............

this is also dependent on weather

i feel this year is going to be different...and of benifit to the shooter and wildlife

let us know what happens

It's usually best to leave the stubble for at least 2 days after it's cut to allow the birds to find it and the numbers to build .set up around 2 pm and shoot till you have had enough .or 8 pm leave your self at least 1 hour of packing up time before dark (9pm at the mo ) it can take a while .

20 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

It's usually best to leave the stubble for at least 2 days after it's cut to allow the birds to find it and the numbers to build .set up around 2 pm and shoot till you have had enough .or 8 pm leave your self at least 1 hour of packing up time before dark (9pm at the mo ) it can take a while .

That’s good news it seems like it might not be too bad for me after all. Thanks for the advice! 

A lot depends on where you live and how many grain fields are in your close area , if other people are cutting the same crop you might have missed the boat , if it is a field that is more or less by itself then you might strike lucky , I am not being big headed or anything but we have got 10s if not 100s of fields around our way that are either cut , ready to be cut , some have been baled up , some the bales are off and a few have already been chopped up .

On our estate alone we have got three combines between five farms that are often going at the same time , so what seem like a endless spell of ideal combining weather you can imagine how many fields can draw Pigeons in and to be honest, although we have got a nice lot of Pigeons there is not enough to give shooting on every field .

So if you see enough and you have got the time then have a go , don't wait for any more to build up as the amount on there might have already reached it's peak .

GOOD LUCK and we will look forward to your report on your days shooting. 

On 05/08/2022 at 17:55, Dazv said:

Brilliant thanks guys! Let’s hope he leaves it well alone 

regardless of the possible changes in farming practice........stubbles will be left alone cause the ground is too bloody hard to get the equipment into :w00t:

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

iv just come back from pigeon shooting,and there are loads of pigeons a bout.

Come on mossy my man  , you can do far better than telling us in a few words that you have been pigeon shooting and there are loads about , Please let us know what you were shooting on , or over and how the time went , slow , fast or furious , at the moment we are left in limbo and can only guess :good:

went out after work 2-30,got to the barley stubble fields on the farm just up the road and there were a lot on it and flying a round.same old thing set up fired a few shots then they went waited a bit and they came back.this is next to another they   farm witch i can shoot as well that is rape stubble,they started coming stayed till 5 ended up with 29,not to bad tomorrow i will shoot the rape and see how it is,there you go MM,

9 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

went out after work 2-30,got to the barley stubble fields on the farm just up the road and there were a lot on it and flying a round.same old thing set up fired a few shots then they went waited a bit and they came back.this is next to another they   farm witch i can shoot as well that is rape stubble,they started coming stayed till 5 ended up with 29,not to bad tomorrow i will shoot the rape and see how it is,there you go MM,

Excellent mossey and many THANKS for your reply , 29 is very good in the time frame you were there , I, like many others would had been more than happy with that bag .

We totally missed all the rain that was due here along with the Yellow weather warning and everywhere is still bone dry , I looked around today for somewhere to go tomorrow and the rape stubble is still by far the number one stubble to shoot over , the stubble have got no signs of germination and look as if it was combined yesterday .

What will be a bit unusual tomorrow is , a mate of mine is going to have a go on the ole rape stubble and I am going to shoot a wheat stubble field that have just been drilled with next years rape , so it will be rape a year apart , on my field the pigeons are not going after the new rape seed ,they are going after the old grain that lie on the surface .

GOOD LUCK on your next day out .  

On 05/08/2022 at 18:18, Ultrastu said:

If I did that I'd never get any shooting.  PREVIOUS YEARS.  My farmers have been demons. The combine is cutting,  the corn trailers are in there,  The cutters are going round doing the hedges and ditch banks.  The discs are ripping the surface up. One after the other.  The fields are big and I've set up as soon as the cutters have passed.  the birds still come in with all that going on.  Occasionally the fields have a day or two but it is rare. Mostly it's a crop in the morning and dirt by the end of the day.  THIS YEAR, it appears to be a bit different and the fields have been left.  But how long for and why.?  it could be waiting for rain to help the soil soften a bit or they don't know what to put in.  Most years I think that iv'e got a good spot and line and either get there and it's dirt or set up and they are discing the field.  A real ******.  but that how they work.

49 minutes ago, Minky said:

If I did that I'd never get any shooting.  PREVIOUS YEARS.  My farmers have been demons. The combine is cutting,  the corn trailers are in there,  The cutters are going round doing the hedges and ditch banks.  The discs are ripping the surface up. One after the other.  The fields are big and I've set up as soon as the cutters have passed.  the birds still come in with all that going on.  Occasionally the fields have a day or two but it is rare. Mostly it's a crop in the morning and dirt by the end of the day.  THIS YEAR, it appears to be a bit different and the fields have been left.  But how long for and why.?  it could be waiting for rain to help the soil soften a bit or they don't know what to put in.  Most years I think that iv'e got a good spot and line and either get there and it's dirt or set up and they are discing the field.  A real ******.  but that how they work.

We could all offer our little piece of advice on how long we would leave our fields , but there is only one person to tell you how long to leave your fields and that is YOU , you should know how many are going on your stubble , if YOU think there are enough to have a go then get on there as soon as possible as the next day might be to late , nobody on the forum will know the best time to go on your field , every field is different , yours might be the only one amongs't several root crop fields and you could do well , on the other your next door neighbour might also be cutting and his fields could be a better attraction than yours so you will did out, so try and check them each day and shoot it when you think it is ready .     GOOD LUCK but I fear you might have already left it a bit late , unless it haven't been cut yet ?? 

• 2 weeks later...