A quick run out on a new permission. Woodpigeon and Corvid control.

Big Al

Apologies to PW and Cranfield for removing this link last week. As the stubble is now being ploughed in, I feel like it is "safe" to share this.

A couple of hours our with the 1963 B25 A1 - new to me but I really do appreciate the quality of the hand built browning shotguns, regardless of age. The total bag was 20 woodpigeons and 18 mixed corvids.

Nice video and a half decent bag, well done.

Your position tight in the corner of two hedgerows is something I try to avoid, first I always find the birds reluctant to come in close and secondly you have two hedgerows to lose birds over, having said that you took some nice long birds, what cartridges were you using?

8 minutes ago, old'un said:

Nice video and a half decent bag, well done.

Your position tight in the corner of two hedgerows is something I try to avoid, first I always find the birds reluctant to come in close and secondly you have two hedgerows to lose birds over, having said that you took some nice long birds, what cartridges were you using?

Thanks for the tip. Always appreciated.  I'm using a Spanish cartridge- 28g Saga Export Fibre Wad 7s. They hit well.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Yep, I use fiocchi 28g 7.5 felt wad on pigeons and blacks and I am often surprised at the range they kill at.

Saying that about being tight in the corner of two hedgerows, how did you find the birds decoyed?

No problem. I was under a flight line and put up birds when arrived. That's why I set up there. I'm just home from the same field- I met the plough as I left. I had initially set up under a flight line on the opposite side of the field but that dried up with 14 birds shot. I upped and moved to the same spot as this video, and managed to bag a total of 60.

Strange.

On 06/08/2022 at 11:43, Big Al said:

Apologies to PW and Cranfield for removing this link last week. As the stubble is now being ploughed in, I feel like it is "safe" to share this.

A couple of hours our with the 1963 B25 A1 - new to me but I really do appreciate the quality of the hand built browning shotguns, regardless of age. The total bag was 20 woodpigeons and 18 mixed corvids.

Great video Big Al nice to see your getting on well with the B25 I take it you’ll be using it at the lough lovely gun 👍👍

3 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Great video Big Al nice to see your getting on well with the B25 I take it you’ll be using it at the lough lovely gun 👍👍

Thanks Gerry. I will have buy other cartridges for it on the shore. My 3" Mammoth loads cant be used. I will get something 2 3/4"  

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

On the new video, that B25, definately needs the stock removed and the action blasted with wd40 or similar to clean it and remove what clearly seems to be preventing your trigger working properly.

Absolutely. I haven't done it yet though😱

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

Absolutely. I haven't done it yet though😱

If you are having to force the trigger, there is abnormal wear and stress taking place somewhere inside that will eventually cause something to break.

Sooner the strip down and flush out the ****, the better... I suspect just short of 60 years of Young's 303 being pushed through firing pin holes and ending up on the sear mechanism...

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

If you are having to force the trigger, there is abnormal wear and stress taking place somewhere inside that will eventually cause something to break.

Sooner the strip down and flush out the ****, the better... I suspect just short of 60 years of Young's 303 being pushed through firing pin holes and ending up on the sear mechanism...

I can't get the ****** off. I have removed the stock bolt and the 3 screws holding on the trigger guard. The action withdraws part way (enough to see a build up of gunk!) 

YouTube will be my friend.....

• 2 weeks later...