Any brickies on here?

39TDS

quick question.

I want to build a wall, it will be the gable wall of a garage, 5.5m wide with 2.8 opening for doorway, single storey.

I already have 3 walls and there is a concrete foundation for the wall I want to build.

The concrete level does not fit with the existing courses of brickwork.

My question is, can I lay the first course of brick on edge to give the right height and then build up from them using brick and block to make a solid 9" wall.

If not, what do I do instead to get the right height to tooth into existing brick? 50mm layer of mortar or 30mm slither of solid block or something else?

6 hours ago, 39TDS said:

quick question.

I want to build a wall, it will be the gable wall of a garage, 5.5m wide with 2.8 opening for doorway, single storey.

I already have 3 walls and there is a concrete foundation for the wall I want to build.

My question is, can I lay the first course of brick on edge to give the right height and then build up from them using brick and block to make a solid 9" wall.

If not, what do I do instead to get the right height to tooth into existing brick? 50mm layer of mortar or 30mm slither of solid block or something else?

The answer is yes. (I take it that this extra 'course/layer' is below ground and won't be visible?)

Personally I'd use concrete blocks laid laterally to help spread the load. Done this with bricks and blocks many times, all dependant on what's being built on top of it 😉

1 hour ago, JKD said:

The answer is yes. (I take it that this extra 'course/layer' is below ground and won't be visible?)

Personally I'd use concrete blocks laid laterally to help spread the load. Done this with bricks and blocks many times, all dependant on what's being built on top of it 😉

Hadn't thought of that, it fits nicely and lets me make a start instead of waiting for concrete to go off.

Thank you.

Hello, to level up on an existing foundation by 50 mm or 2 inches to get the joint levels right does not give you a lot of options, if the foundation is wide enough to fix some same size battons either side then infill with course sand and concrete mix like floor screed but wetter then trowel off level, 

4 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Hadn't thought of that, it fits nicely and lets me make a start instead of waiting for concrete to go off.

Thank you.

That's exactly why I do the same,,,, no waiting or different materials etc, just a mortar mix (although it should be a stronger mix below any DPC's) and just keep on building 👍🙂

ATVB 😉.  ps. You're welcome for the tip 😃

Edited by JKD
Added a ps.

16 hours ago, 39TDS said:

quick question.

Yes it would be standard procedure for a bricklayer to lay a brick on edge if this gets you to the correct height. Some of the above answers are a waste of time and money when you can correct the level required with a standard brick.