Why are Hazel shanks cut in the winter ?

holloway

Yes, I have cut them year round...... "time to cut etc etc".... someone else may not be so fickle about when to cut.  Obviously better around December time but hazels soon start to suck up moisture again.  I have some we coppiced this last autumn and they are already over four foot high with new groth.

Anyone in striking distance of CV9 is welcome to come and cut a few and plenty of dying ash ...maybe a few hundred. They are all dying.

1 hour ago, Mickeydredd said:

Are you saying you have a few hundred mature Ash dying or just coppicing size?

I have ash dying from seedlings to 25 year old trees. The four older trees in the wood edge have already gone.  I have a lot of ash dying or dead which are 3/4 to a bit over an inch in diamter and many are straight enough for sticks.  I don't know if dead ash is any good for stick making.

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have ash dying from seedlings to 25 year old trees. The four older trees in the wood edge have already gone.  I have a lot of ash dying or dead which are 3/4 to a bit over an inch in diamter and many are straight enough for sticks.  I don't know if dead ash is any good for stick making.

Thanks.  It is a real shame what is happening to the Ash trees in this country.