Sold my Tikka T3X 7mm08...

Houseplant

Shortage of 7mm08 ammunition has got to crisis point here and I've jumped ship before it sinks and sold the Tikka. Apparently, it's not a popular calibre in the USA and manufacturers are having trouble keeping up with demand for what their main customer base does use, so are diverting resources in that direction.

Anyway, no problems obtaining  .223, .243 or .308 here. So what next? I'm so enamoured with my single shot Bergara in 300BLK that I may get one in .308 and put a high end scope on it suitable for close bush work and longer range shots. In that case, I would sell the 300BLK (or possibly keep it for my son when he is older). Alternatively, I might go for another bolt action in .243 or .308 in "bush pig" format. It's what we call ultra short barrel rifles with an over-barrel suppressor. I'd want something very light, so probably a carbon stock and a price tag to match. Decisions, decisions! Opinions?

In the meantime, goodbye to the Tikka. It got me my first deer, boar and goat 😢

Screen-Shot-2022-08-08-at-12-52-43.png

Screen-Shot-2022-08-08-at-11-58-46.png

Hunting-Goat1-1-12.jpg

22 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

I’m not sure what the ammo situation is in NZ for 6.5x55 Swed. However in I find my Sako 85 in that calibre is excellent.

Americans seem to love 6.5mm Creedmoor, so there's a bit of that around. To be honest, I'm not too bothered about calibre, they all seem to work! I was quite happy with 7mm08 apart from ammunition availability. Of .243 and .308, I'm quite interested in .243, the reduced recoil is appealing, but the decision will probably be based on rifle rather than calibre. 

I have found the .243 to be an excellent all round calibre, here in the UK. Ideal for all species of Deer, although some may want a larger calibre for our Red's. I reload for most of my calibres - .22 Hornet, .204 Ruger, .243 Win and .308 Win. My .243 is a Tikka T3 Lite.

Edited by steve_b_wales

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I have found the .243 to be an excellent all round calibre, here in the UK. Ideal for all species of Deer, although some may want a larger calibre for our Red's. I reload for most of my calibres - .22 Hornet, .204 Ruger, .243 Win and .308 Win. My .243 is a Tikka T3 Lite.

Cheers, good to hear. Red deer are out most common species, plus we have even bigger species like sambar which I've yet to encounter. 

3 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

if you want a very light .243 go for a winchester model 70 xtr feather weight but without a heavy moderator it will kick like a mule i know as i have one 

Cheers. Whatever I get, it'll be moderated.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're after a short barrelled rifle, 308 is your best bet due to little really disadvantage to a 20inch barrel over a 24 inch and really wide variety and availability of ammo. Something like a Ruger Ranch comes from the factory with a 16.4 inch barrel and might be just what you're looking for?   6.5 is a great cal, in 'x55 or in CM but you do need the extra barrel length to avoid dropping MVs.  Most 6.5's do best with between 24 and 26 inch barrels

Thank you. I'm pretty much settled on .308 now re: ammunition availability. I have used a Ruger Ranch, rough little actions on them, but you get what you pay for I suppose. Tikka have just released a factory bush pig model in NZ which is going to be a massive seller. That said, think I'm heading towards a single shot Bergara .308 with 16.5 barrel as I like the format so much. 

Ignore the cheap package accessories, it's the rifle that is the point of interest.

Screen-Shot-2022-08-17-at-18-58-31.png