Water shortage - who's doing what?

Dave-G

I suspect water shortages will become a huge crisis - even for dwellings soon. Who's doing what for their garden rather than use a hosepipe?

While keeping in mind there are millions more now using our water than years ago: I recall as kids we had a bath on Sundays, showers were almost unheard of and way back in time running water and baths were so rare that talcum powder was used to reduce stink.

What are people doing to minimise consumption? We have two buckets outside the back door and tip dishwashing water into them rather than down the sink hole and as our bath/shower is next to a window I syphon used bath water onto the tiled conservatory roof draining into three piped together water butts collecting rain water via an overflow device in the roof downpipe once rain becomes scarce.

This has proved very useful for that: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353574401274?epid=19032708926&hash=item5252ad34fa:g:eIkAAOSw1vxcYvyU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0C7Y9QWWjxGZD96mHYSFj31kibMcGUuOQlOf5nhbH9CVyXrFDqxiJGtyV99AXDhkV3iCfxkIxZ1F3bphp%2ByGXP8OCPSA0UmUXNjpbOkyD46i2dAYknjUIAPf%2F4C2aqKWFjMEIsE3NniQbS048oc9vgSl9O06edQqC0sl%2FoXmftgZrHV%2FU2hp2fRF5jZKcB%2F2UiLoAuP6QohE%2F9z6OrT6Dg29hsTF%2FiNeDbOX388drScNZwJBTgzjXm8skhSQYTwLzu3ttwmQRbjG8TlzLs4j8Vo%3D|tkp%3ABFBMuMznys9g

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, while people are given no choice when it comes to restrictions on hose pipe bans, most area water companies are loosing millions of gallons with leaking pipes but since Thames water  ( my area)went over to contractors from in house service engineer gangs , eg 2 people and transport , about 5 gangs per base the cost to fix leaks has trebled , a small service pipe leak in pathway took half a day , now they have 2/3/5 men, diggers, traffic lights, lorries and another gang for reinstatement , I reported a leak , took a week to check out., another week to fix , and the above manpower and gear that the 2 man crew would take half a day, that progress in the water industry 🤔

d to give up on our small veg patch. Lost all the french beans but managed to harvest broadbeans for the freezer. The carrots are surviving on a couple of gallons of roof water a week.

26 minutes ago, walshie said:

Doesn't everyone have their own borehole? How quaint! 😃

I did look at that as our hill is a natural water holder and we had two wells on the place when we moved here and one which caught all the roof water. It outlay for what we use was over the top. Our last 1/4 water bill was £53 aabout 60p a day pretty good value.  My advice is to go on a meter. The service will try to persuade you not to. 

i didnt have a wee today

doing my bit:good:

i havnt passed any moisture for quite some time now

got a package from the Ministry of Drought today...contains 4 weeks supply and applicator of Anal vermiculite.....well pleased:yahoo:

Edited by ditchman

Well thinking ahead as most rain falls in the north of the country and floods are bad instead of wasting all that money on hs2 just to make some rich bod get to Birmingham 15 mins earlier than he used to get there they should have run a pipe to bring the water down south alleviating both problems might sound a bit far fetched but if it was big enough it would help 

48 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

Well thinking ahead as most rain falls in the north of the country and floods are bad instead of wasting all that money on hs2 just to make some rich bod get to Birmingham 15 mins earlier than he used to get there they should have run a pipe to bring the water down south alleviating both problems might sound a bit far fetched but if it was big enough it would help 

One of the many better ideas than HS2 out there! Britain's water infrastructure is so dim-witted. All the reservoirs in the North and all the people in the South. 

8 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Nobby nar tha don't want any of the northern water it aint been filtered enough for you southern folk, your water gets filtered at least 5 times through someone else Kidneys ! 🤢🤮

My son worked for a large contractor the amount of rule breaking is a joke. Tools not allowed to be used if used on sewage treatment have to wait a time before being used on mains water supply . Used  on the next job contaminated dirt should be removed and not used for back filling straight back in. 

Edited by bottletopbill

23 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, while people are given no choice when it comes to restrictions on hose pipe bans, most area water companies are loosing millions of gallons with leaking pipes but since Thames water  ( my area)went over to contractors from in house service engineer gangs , eg 2 people and transport , about 5 gangs per base the cost to fix leaks has trebled , a small service pipe leak in pathway took half a day , now they have 2/3/5 men, diggers, traffic lights, lorries and another gang for reinstatement , I reported a leak , took a week to check out., another week to fix , and the above manpower and gear that the 2 man crew would take half a day, that progress in the water industry 🤔

Hello, just to add, I read the CEO of Thames Water is payed an eye watering 😁 2 million £s plus bonus , I wonder if on a water meter 🤔

10 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

Hello, I often thought how viable that would be, could we not use the river systems ? We piped down gas from up north ?, The source of the Thames is now 5 miles from original spring in Gloucestershire , it's about 18 inches lower than it should be at this time of year and there's talk of locks closing if it gets lower so boats would not be move about the river 

27 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I often thought how viable that would be, could we not use the river systems ? We piped down gas from up north ?, The source of the Thames is now 5 miles from original spring in Gloucestershire , it's about 18 inches lower than it should be at this time of year and there's talk of locks closing if it gets lower so boats would not be move about the river 

There is plenty of rain falling in the South, what there isn't is storage, so that Autumn, Winter and Spring rain is available for summer for agricultural purposes.

It would be cheaper to build local reservoirs, than trying to pipe it down the country.

39 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

There is plenty of rain falling in the South, what there isn't is storage, so that Autumn, Winter and Spring rain is available for summer for agricultural purposes.

It would be cheaper to build local reservoirs, than trying to pipe it down the country.

Hello, there are plans for one in the vale , 500/600 acres or more with a perimeter of 50 ft high banks, set between Steventon/ East Hanny and Drayton , below top soil is a huge depth of blue clay, I'm sure it will come one day 🤔  

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, there are plans for one in the vale , 500/600 acres or more with a perimeter of 50 ft high banks, set between Steventon/ East Hanny and Drayton , below top soil is a huge depth of blue clay, I'm sure it will come one day 🤔  

They have been on about that for years - I moved away 18 years ago so it pre-dates that