Mallard ducklings not feeding on barley

Having successfully released my 100 ducklings last Friday, I have laid couple of buckets of barley on the bank, close to the water,until the feeders are getting delivered this weekend.

All good but the barley is untouched, but the ducklings seems to be fine.

Is it a case of finding natural food in the pond, or I am doing something wrong? 

Hello, it may go to dry on the bank it needs moisture, try in the water margins so the grain goes soft and edible for young ducks , on my friends farm we don't shoot ducks but any old grain and dryer sweepings goes in long pond , a bit in the margins, the rest goes out in to the deeper water, by September there's lots of duck to see,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 08/08/2022 at 14:08, shootgun said:

Having successfully released my 100 ducklings last Friday, I have laid couple of buckets of barley on the bank, close to the water,until the feeders are getting delivered this weekend.

All good but the barley is untouched, but the ducklings seems to be fine.

Is it a case of finding natural food in the pond, or I am doing something wrong? 

When you say released were they being kept in a pen before? If so what were you feeding them?

On 08/08/2022 at 16:00, jall25 said:

Try meal worms

We feed these to the young wild ones 

The soften and float 

Have you seen ducks feed? The way they shovel it down it would cost an arm and leg to feed them mealworms.

Edited by old'un

12 hours ago, jall25 said:

We did feed them meal worms - and we had about 100/150 wild ducklings - it doesnt cost that much at all really 

Blimey, how many kilo were they getting through a day? Cheapest I have seen mealworms is £10 per kilo.

By the way, they are not wild ducklings if you are rearing them in a pen.

If you want to pull wild ducks to your pond chuck some old spuds in the sallows or better still some bananas (in the skin)

Edited by old'un

6 hours ago, old'un said:

Blimey, how many kilo were they getting through a day? Cheapest I have seen mealworms is £10 per kilo.

By the way, they are not wild ducklings if you are rearing them in a pen.

If you want to pull wild ducks to your pond chuck some old spuds in the sallows or better still some bananas (in the skin)

They are not in a pen - they are on my 2 acre pond - im lucky i have a bout 20 ponds of various sizes.

These are wild ducklings that come off early - before the flies have hatched - i used about 50 kg to give them a boost early on - these and the farmland birds too.

As a shoot we spend many thousands on various types of hungry gap - early breeding season feeding - and reap the rewards 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how you getting on with the young ducklings ?

I’m currently bound to bed with a terrible sciatica episode, so I wasn’t able to check on them.

I’ve got however someone on the estate to feed them every day. 
I’ve been told that they are going well. 

3 minutes ago, shootgun said:

I’m currently bound to bed with a terrible sciatica episode, so I wasn’t able to check on them.

Hello, oh sorry to hear that, ok at least you know there being looked after until you get better 👍

7 minutes ago, shootgun said:

My wife had a bout of sciatica last year, it knocked her off her feet for about a month and it took about another 2 months for her to feel comfortable not nice.

Did you find out if they had been weaned off pellets?

4 hours ago, old'un said:

My wife had a bout of sciatica last year, it knocked her off her feet for about a month and it took about another 2 months for her to feel comfortable not nice.

Did you find out if they had been weaned off pellets?

I got it from an accident in 2019, is coming and going as it please, but this time is really bad.

Been off work for 2 weeks with COVID, now sciatica…

Indeed the ducklings had been weaned off pellets…

Good news is, the guy I trusted to feed them called today to say they are still not eating the barley, but they are well and grown up already.

I trust the pool offers a variety of natural food, I have no other explanation.

Blimey, hope you make a full and speedy recovery.:good:

Odd that, its possible that they are a bit reluctant to leave the water to feed on the bank, the barley being dry will make very little difference to ducks, but if you have some shallows about 6 inches deep you could try putting a couple of buckets there and see if they take it.

22 hours ago, shootgun said:

Piriformis or back (herniated disc) related.

• 2 months later...

Hi

how old is your duck , we always feed a few pellets with the grain barley or wheat on the banks then move them away from the pond after a few weeks and when they start to fly start to cut them back or they will not fly .

And try to get them to fly just before they finish feeding only once a week or they will get to Lazy .

Try on shoot days to push them to fly on windy days to start with.