PSNI firearms licencing.

ordnance

Any NI guys having issues with firearms licencing. 

27 Jul 2022  A firearms group has hit out over a backlog in the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) licensing department. A firearms licence is needed ...

• 1 month later...

Seems the performance figures are no longer available to view. I think we need an independent investigation into this farce. What checks are done on an applicant and by whom? The police aren't the only organisation to look into your background when you apply here, so who else is looking and what for? Why are there so few senior firearms branch personnel and why does it take so long for them to make a decision? 

As I understand it one of them is out on the sick and another one is just into the job. Rumours from more than one RFD here indicates that there may be an external organisation processing applications, and that the 100% figures are as a result of the FEB prioritising new applications from June onwards. 'Historical' applications from before June are apparently on the back burner, which allows the FEB to present figures to senior police showing an improvement in the service. They can then say that all new applications are being dealt with within X amount of days, making the service look more efficient than it actually is.

Whether there's any truth to this I don't know. You could argue that it's in the FEB's interest to look more inefficient to perhaps secure more funding. Who knows, but something has to change and it needs to change soon. I know of a few lads that have missed one Duck seaaon completely and the start of this years as well. If it keeps going the way it's going it'll be two that they miss.

14 hours ago, Cannon said:

Seems the performance figures are no longer available to view. I think we need an independent investigation into this farce. What checks are done on an applicant and by whom? The police aren't the only organisation to look into your background when you apply here, so who else is looking and what for? Why are there so few senior firearms branch personnel and why does it take so long for them to make a decision? 

As I understand it one of them is out on the sick and another one is just into the job. Rumours from more than one RFD here indicates that there may be an external organisation processing applications, and that the 100% figures are as a result of the FEB prioritising new applications from June onwards. 'Historical' applications from before June are apparently on the back burner, which allows the FEB to present figures to senior police showing an improvement in the service. They can then say that all new applications are being dealt with within X amount of days, making the service look more efficient than it actually is.

Whether there's any truth to this I don't know. You could argue that it's in the FEB's interest to look more inefficient to perhaps secure more funding. Who knows, but something has to change and it needs to change soon. I know of a few lads that have missed one Duck seaaon completely and the start of this years as well. If it keeps going the way it's going it'll be two that they miss.

It does stink of smoke and mirrors given the stats lately, same old excuses used every time you contact them. Hoping for an 8 week turn around. 

A friend waited nearly 1 year for an FAC and to give credit, he joined BASC and the local representative got it sorted in 2 weeks! FEB hadn't even looked at the application yet he got the spiel that it was in progress for months anytime he contacted.

My local explosives officer for getting nitro powder applications completed (need to apply to get max 1kg of powder in NI) has been brilliant and praise given where due.

On 02/10/2022 at 19:37, ordnance said:

I put in for a variation in the 12 of June, I enquired and was informed its received and in the queue but not being processed yet. 

Going to give it 6 weeks then enquire.

On 03/10/2022 at 19:29, tweedledee said:

Variation in mid may..received week before last

Approx. 12 week turnaround. Depends on the area, some are great others are useless.